Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2000 Black DTX, 2010 Black CTX, 2007 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by airmike View Post
    the cost of the perfume is relative to the results expected at the end of the evenings festivities.
    Obviously the oil is expected to give similar results and more regularly
    Chicago Dave

"Everything in life happens somewhere else ... why not have fun getting there and in style"

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR - Satin Nickel

Quote Originally Posted by agwondra View Post
    Yes, this is reasonable for an expired warranty item. I had my diff fluid replaced yesterday because the rear end was slipping on tight turns. It fixed the problem and the cost was about the same.
    Apparently the oil change does not fix all of the slippage issues in all cases. Mine came back today after only 48 hours out of the shop, and goes back in on Friday morning for more diagnostics. I hope they get it right this time.

Differential Noise 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Default What a Deal!

Wow! I must have gotten a good deal they only charged me $92.42 to change the rear differential fluid. Although I took it in for PA inspection,Trans, & Coolant flush also, they ended up finding out it has a oil and coolant leak. They said it was the water pump outlet crossover gaskets, Lucky I bought a Route 66 bumper to bumper coverage which covered most of the repair bill for that. They degreased the area where all the coolant and oil had leaked and put a die in the oil to see where the very small oil leaks is coming from. They could not find the oil leak it is a very slow one. They said we need to drive it awhile so the leaks shows up so we are driving it to Savanah GA the 1st of March for our 33rd annivesary getaway so by the time we get back it should leak oil enough to hopefully find it. Also I did notice when I drove back home I tested it for the jerking when turning hard at slow speeds in forward and reverse and it was gone! They showed me the tires are in bad conditions so I order some Michelin Pilot Super Sports / 30,000 mile warranty from my local business tire supplier for our business vans. He had to get them shipped from California the only place in the US that had only 6 in stock. They are not run flats which cost more,they had no warranty at all and said they should not be repaired if the do get hole but should be replaced with a new tire, which I did not know that either. I do have a slime container and 12 volt airpump for a small hole repair if needed and 3 different Roadside options to choose from if I do get a non repairable flat!
    The cost was $1,122.00 on the car with nitrogen also.

Caddyman Dan
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

New tires are on the car! WOW! what a difference these tire ride like a clould no noise (at least with top up) seem to be very quiet. Also handles like a dream. If your in the market for new tires and if you don't mind running regular tires instead of run flats then check out the Michelins Pilot Super Sports. If you can find them they had 6 in Calf. and shipped my 4 here to PA. I don't think they look as nice as the Goodyear Eagle's that is what I was running, these are more rounded on the edges and look like a racing tire, But that's what makes them handle better to I'm sure. They cost about $280.00 each on the car complete!

Caddyman Dan
    WENDY & DAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl

Default Differantial Noise

Recently purchased fluid from Chevy dealer for $22/quart(x2) That was retail without any discounts. Anything above that is markup and labor. Jiffy Lube quoted $55 to replace=$100

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR Silver

Default I'm NOT a happy camper!

This "Rear-End Noise" seems to be a consistent problem with our cars, and with less than 70,000 miles on my 05, am I looking for a huge bill for clutch/s replacement?

I've changed my diff. fluid recently, without relief of this problem, (and it seems to be getting worse) and before, the prior owner changed it at around 50,000 and without relief of the growling-slipping-catching noise from my rear end area.

Doesn't GM share some responsibility in this flawed defect??

Somebody have some experience with GM??

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004xlr

Unfortunately John they don't care they would rather get the repair money too. Sounds like the clutch packs are going out. I replaced my fluids just to with the new style with the additive. I went to a GM dealer and was only 12 bucks a quart? Nows the time to see if ya wanna put a gear in it. All depends how's the previous owner treated the car good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004xlr

There's a whole diff carrier Assy. On Craigslist its for a c6 vette it's brand new in the crate has a 2.73 gear for 1600.00 ?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR Silver

Default .........................and.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    There's a whole diff carrier Assy. On Craigslist its for a c6 vette it's brand new in the crate has a 2.73 gear for 1600.00 ?
    Thanks for the response Stella! Differential Noise-dscn0932-jpg

I wonder what would happen if I just, "Lived with the racket",..after all, it's only in the morning and when I turn hard??

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 #165 of 250 Limited Edition Star Black Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by johnpbaird View Post
    This "Rear-End Noise" seems to be a consistent problem with our cars, and with less than 70,000 miles on my 05, am I looking for a huge bill for clutch/s replacement?

I've changed my diff. fluid recently, without relief of this problem, (and it seems to be getting worse) and before, the prior owner changed it at around 50,000 and without relief of the growling-slipping-catching noise from my rear end area.

Doesn't GM share some responsibility in this flawed defect??

Somebody have some experience with GM??
    To find out if the noise you're hearing is really in the diff. or the wheel bearings, turn the Traction Control OFF and make sharp right and left hand turns in a parking lot, forward and backward.
    If the noise goes away with the Traction Control OFF, replace the fluid with the new improved fluid. You might have to do this twice to insure you've flushed out all the old fluid.
    If the noise is still there with the Traction Control OFF, take a good look at the wheel bearings by jacking up the rear of the car so the wheels are off the ground and with the Engine and Emergency Brake OFF, place your hands at 6 and 12 o'clock on the wheels and try rocking them back and forth and do the same thing at 3 and 9 o'clock.
    If either wheel rocks, have someone step on the brake pedal and check the torque of the axle nut. It should be 500 N-m (Metric) or 370 lb ft (English).
    Another indication of a loose axle nut is compare the brake pads and make sure their wearing evenly per side. My right rear pads were wearing down twice as much as the left at ~ 25K miles and I found the axle nut was loose enough that I could unscrew it with my fingers! There is no locking mechanism on these axle nuts so I check them every 15 to 20K miles. You'll need a 1 & 5/16 inch deep set socket and a Torque Wrench to set/check these and it's best to have the wheels off the ground and the brakes applied.
    This is the first car I've owned that DID NOT have a cotter pin or some other nut locking mechanism on the axles!

I hope this info helps.

ERRORS! ERRORS!

Ever place I mentioned "Axle Nut" should be "drive shaft retaining nut".
    The Torque should be 160 N-m (Metric) 118 lb ft.
    Jack
    2006 Star Black Limited Edition #165/250 XLR.
    Tinted windows.
    Corsa Exhaust.
    Volant Cool Air Intake w/ twin e-Ram electric Superchargers and 9th fuel injector.
    385+Calculated Flywheel Horse Power.
    V Rear Sway Bar.
    06 Corvette Trailer Hitch.
    Front parking sensor, 'Curb Alert', AKA 'Cure for the common curb'.
    Home brew wind screen.
    Home brew rear spoiler.

"Cadillac XLR, Built for Comfort ..... AND SPEED!"

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black Raven XLR-V

On the PA trip this year, Bruce told Amy and I to have our '06 axel nuts checked the next time it was in for service. I did and the dealer was surprised to get 1 1/2 turns on the axel nuts. Worth checking to see if it helps reduce the noise.
    Also, the differential fluid has been changed 2 times. So far so good for "Beauty".

Mike
    '07 XLR V & '06 XLR "His & Hers" Life is Good

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Differential Noise

Quote Originally Posted by 05 GRAND DADDY XLR CADDY View Post
    Any other recommendation I missed? Sending mine in this Friday for PA Inspection is due and a full overall check up, getting it ready for March trip to GA. So while it is in gonna get Trans flush, Coolant flush & Rear end lube exchange it has 61,000 mile, I think changing these is a good ideal keeping your oils clean, on next visit in when doing the brakes (when ever pads need changed) will do a brake fluid flush & power streering unit flush too! DID I MISS ANYTHING ELSE????

Caddyman Dan
    Well fairly nice cool day here in PA yesterday so Roxy came out for a Sunday drive down to the York Hospital to visit dad after his surgery. And notice this hopping again when turning hard. So since it only about 10 day before our SC getaway going to send her back up for another fluid change again, just first time changed it was last January 2012 / 61,000 mile now she has 70,000 on her! Then if it still not right after the trip then we will adventure into a rebuild since it still under the Route66 warranty! Looks like this Route66 Warranty is going to pay for it self good for 3 more years or 100000 mile !!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan
    WENDY & DAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Well they called and said the rear end oil was changed and fixed it again, but the question is for how long this time??????

WENDY & DAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black Raven XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by 05 GRAND DADDY XLR CADDY View Post
    Well they called and said the rear end oil was changed and fixed it again, but the question is for how long this time??????

Good Luck!! Hopefully that will take care of the problem.
    '07 XLR V & '06 XLR "His & Hers" Life is Good

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Leaving next Sat for Hilton Head SC that should give her a good run down and back here to PA to test her???

WENDY & DAN