Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Alpine White XLR

Default Front Air Dam Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    When I bought my 2008 XLR, I was pleased to see an upper mesh grill had already been installed on it. After a few weeks I wanted to install a lower mesh grill.
    >
    Looking at the front end of the car, it was soon evident that I was not going to do the job myself. I called my dealer and he said they could install it in about 1 hour. After about an hour in the shop, the service manager told me that they would have to take off the entire front bumper assembly to install the lower grill. I told them I would come back some other time. I also found out that I would loose the radar cruse control (mesh apparently blocks it). >
    >
    Has anyone else put the lower mesh grill on an XLR? Do you really have to take off the bumper assembly to install it? >
    Today I got the XLR serviced and addressed the few appearance issues that needed attention. Like other XLR owners my plastic front air dam grill had lost a few plastic pieces while on the road. I know two pieces were lost when a semi's tire came apart while ahead of me and spread a bunch of bouncing projectiled rubber pieces all across the road. A couple pieces of rubber shrapnel bounced into and took out some of my grill's plastic pieces.

Surprisingly, my dealer had the part in stock so I had them replace it for me. Two (2) hour job that required taking off the front bumper and headlights to do it properly "per the book". New grill looks great but it is a really expensive fix. If this new grill takes a similar hit I will probably burst into tears....

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 CADILLAC XLR - RED

Default LOWER GRILL

Quote Originally Posted by D.J. View Post
    HAD THE LOWER GRILL PUT ON .. APPROX 30 MIN BUMPER STAYS ON LOOKS GOOD AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE SET..
    I know this is an old post and hopefully someone will see this. No one ever answered the question as to does the bumper have to be removed?

Tigerman

Lower Mesh Grill on XLR XLRATING's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

According to the service manual the bumper has to come off.

Doesn't mean someone might not have a creative way to avoid that, but that's the specified procedure.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish