Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What Not to do when you are working on your XLR! rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by XLRATING View Post
    Another simple option is to always back in to park, which is what I do (I actually do that for anything I drive). Rear clearance is a little better. Do I often have to hang my head out the window to be sure I don't go too far? Sure, but since I don't drive it in nasty weather I just get some extra sunshine!
    Not me, I just look down at the 7" screen in the dash with the backup camera!

2. Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    What Not to do when you are working on your XLR! 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    Not me, I just look down at the 7" screen in the dash with the backup camera!
    Ok Rex what do you know your telling us... come on let it out! AFTERMARKET????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

What Not to do when you are working on your XLR! rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Quote Originally Posted by 05 GRAND DADDY View Post
    Ok Rex what do you know your telling us... come on let it out! AFTERMARKET????

Yup, my Kenwood unit with the backup camera

5. Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    What Not to do when you are working on your XLR! CNC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert

Default Good advice. : )

Another simple option is to always back in to park, which is what I do (I actually do that for anything I drive). Rear clearance is a little better. Do I often have to hang my head out the window to be sure I don't go too far? Sure, but since I don't drive it in nasty weather I just get some extra sunshine!
    Mine is also 'only' a fair weather driver. We just get to wait a bit longer here for the 'fair weather' than you do. The Doctor in San Diego from whom I purchased my XLR was 90 at the time, and in a nursing home, His wife, Mary 86 (nice lady) had been driving it some. She had found 'lots' of speed bumps and curbs. So the damage is 'mostly inherited' and will be repaired and repainted this summer. Always something.

7. Likes wrightrm liked this post
    What Not to do when you are working on your XLR! CNC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert

Default Hmmm? You are a 'good backer upper'. I'm not : )

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll ad the curb alert. On a different subject, to learn from many experienced XLR Pros on this site I try to read all the threads of problems and repairs that various owners have experienced. I read one thread the other day (which Rob closed because it got contentious) on the cost of XLR rear end parts. In particular the regular lower rear tail lamps. Shocking what they cost! Out of curiosity, I looked on eBay. Clean used ones for right at $3,000.00 each. Ugh! Not trying to open old argument or wounds here from that thread, but you really don't want to get rear ended! Danny in Chicago, who bought my old high mount tail lamp had to rebuild the back of his XLR because he was rear ended. I think his insurance company totaled the car at that time. He bought it back. What would have been an relatively normal repair on any other car. At that time, I had a hard time comprehending this. No longer. I believe he subsequently sold the XLR. He has a beautiful 1958 Corvette in his garage. As in 'mint'. FYI.

9. Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    What Not to do when you are working on your XLR! 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Quote Originally Posted by CNC View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll ad the curb alert. On a different subject, to learn from many experienced XLR Pros on this site I try to read all the threads of problems and repairs that various owners have experienced. I read one thread the other day (which Rob closed because it got contentious) on the cost of XLR rear end parts. In particular the regular lower rear tail lamps. Shocking what they cost! Out of curiosity, I looked on eBay. Clean used ones for right at $3,000.00 each. Ugh! Not trying to open old argument or wounds here from that thread, but you really don't want to get rear ended! Danny in Chicago, who bought my old high mount tail lamp had to rebuild the back of his XLR because he was rear ended. I think his insurance company totaled the car at that time. He bought it back. What would have been an relatively normal repair on any other car. At that time, I had a hard time comprehending this. No longer. I believe he subsequently sold the XLR. He has a beautiful 1958 Corvette in his garage. As in 'mint'. FYI.
    We love our Curb Alert the nose has not been rubbed since I installed it. And on another note my Corsa Exhaust Tip have been curbed also.... when backing in..... by some of the higher concrete wheel parking lot stops!

WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!