Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

Original Equipment for Me

I also had to make the choice of spending $5K at the Cadillac House, $1K eliminating the Magnetic Shocks, or $2K finding shocks on the internet and replacing them myself. I chose to install magnetic shocks the poor mans way - saving, shopping, and waiting for all parts to arrive. The 188K mile XLR is riding like new and the way it was designed and intended. I will do it again when the time rolls around for another change.

Thank you again for the follow up note! I've owned my 2006 XLR-V since December 2006 when I bought it as Certified Pre-Owned with only 1300 miles on it. It came with 4 years warranty and after that I bought from Cadillac another 3. It only required a few minor issues fixed on it, so I never got any more warranty. It now has 72,000 miles on it and completely stock. It doesn't need shocks yet because the originals are not leaking, yet! I will greatly appreciate the information you provided when I do need shocks. I'd like to keep it stock in every way, but now reconsidering the stock aspect because I never really liked the hard ride of the magnetic shocks and to put big money into replacing them on a 10 year old car doesn't make much sense to me. I never use the car on a track, and would love to enjoy a softer ride. I put all your information in safe keeping until I need it. Again, thank you for the awesome information on the shocks, simulators and most important, the results!!!

Hey PTpro, I'm glad you found my post informational. Nothing wrong with keeping your car stock. My XLR is almost completely stock except for Tires, Wheels, Shocks and Exhaust. I'm running 20"x 8.5" chrome five spoke Lexani wheels with 245/40/20 Delinte tires, Bilstein shocks and Magnaflow cat back exhaust.

I have fun with it everywhere I go. The car runs, rides and looks great. People ask me if it's the new Cadillac model that just came out, and they can't believe when I tell them it's a 13 year old car. Like I said before, if you want to have fun with your XLR, like the Corvette guys get to do with their cars. It can be done, I did it! That is what this thread is all about, you have options. Get out there and have fun with your XLR.

See Ya!
Randy

I also had to make the choice of spending $5K at the Cadillac House, $1K eliminating the Magnetic Shocks, or $2K finding shocks on the internet and replacing them myself. I chose to install magnetic shocks the poor mans way - saving, shopping, and waiting for all parts to arrive. The 188K mile XLR is riding like new and the way it was designed and intended. I will do it again when the time rolls around for another change.

I'm glad to see yours made it to 188k miles before needing replacement. Mine have 80k on them now and the car still rides like new and there are no signs of leakage around the shocks so far.

I'm glad to see yours made it to 188k miles before needing replacement. Mine have 80k on them now and the car still rides like new and there are no signs of leakage around the shocks so far.

Glad to hear how long these have lasted for both of you - I've avoided MRC for my daily driver because they don't seem to last as long as regular shocks. Maybe I can give them a shot next time.

DOES SIMULATOR FIX WORK ON '05'S?

Great thread. However I have a potential problem. Ordered the simulators from Casper's. Lacking sufficient courage, I am having the modification done by a really good Corvette shop. Received a call that the Casper connector has a tab that doesn't allow it to go right into the XLR connector. Did you have to trim it to fit or was it an exact fit? THANKS!

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to get rid of your Mag Ride Shocks on your XLR. I had a "clunk" in the front suspension going in and out of driveways and over speed bumps. I have several friends in the automotive repair business. I took my 04 XLR to three different shops to try to figure out what was loose in my front suspension. All three times we could not find anything wrong with my front suspension. Except that all four shocks where leaking. I knew that I needed to replace my shocks, so I started to research part numbers and prices. Mag Ride shocks are crazy expensive. The cheapest I could find them for was on Amazon for approx. $1800, delivered to my front door. I could get a set of four Bilsteins on Ebay for $396 to my front door. I had read in several Corvette sites that they where able to deprogram the F55 function in their Body Control Module with a Tech2. I also read that a lot of Corvette guys where using plug in simulators to trick the Body Control Module into thinking they still had Mag Ride Shocks in their cars. From everything I read, the simulators where effective about 50% of the time. 50% of the Corvette guys where happy with the simulators and 50% of the guys said they where junk and a waste of money. With all of this info and a couple of months of going back and forth in my head on the best solution, I finally decided to buy the Bilstein Shocks and deprogram my Body Control Module. I replaced all four shock here at home, pretty straight forward, no issues. I test drove the XLR in town and on freeway. Car was super smooth and no more "clunk", but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. Next day I take my XLR to my buddy's transmission shop. He borrowed one of his friends Tech2 for us to use. We spent the entire afternoon trying to deprogram the F55 function in the Body Control Module to no avail. We tried everything we could think of, nothing worked. If we lied to the Tech2 and told it my car was a Corvette we could see the F55 function, but the Tech2 knew the car was not a Corvette, so it would not let us turn off the F55 function. When we would tell the Tech2 that my car was an XLR, we where not able to find the F55 function in the Body Control Module. We even tried using a second Tech2, same thing. We even tried looking for the F55 function in every other Control Module, just in case GM was sneaky and tried to hide it somewhere else. What we came away with was that, some Corvettes have Mag Ride suspensions, others do not. All Cadillac XLR's have Mag Ride suspensions, it's not an option. GM must have written the software differently for the XLR's and Corvettes Body Control Modules. As they come down the assembly line the Corvettes with Mag Ride get the F55 option turned on. Corvettes without Mag Ride do not get the F55 option turned on. XLR's it's not an option, they all have Mag Ride, so no need to have an F55 option to turn on or off. So, no need to write it into the software of the XLR's Body Control Module. It's not an option on the car, It's not an option in the Body Control Module. Now, what to do? The XLR runs and drives great, but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. So, I started to research simulators. I decided to take a chance and ordered a set from Eckler's via Ebay for $218.88 to my front door. A few days later my order from Eckler's arrived. I installed the four Shock simulators and Walla! No more dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. I didn't have to do anything else, the Body Control Module reset itself. I'm So Happy!! It can be done!! It worked on my 04 XLR. My XLR feels like a brand new car.

Hi FLORIDAXLR, It's been a while since I did the Bilstine shocks. Now that you mentioned it, I do remember a small issue with the tab on the simulator being different than the stock tab on the shock. I can't remember if I cut the tab off or just pushed it aside. I do remember once I pushed the simulators into the plugs, I used a very thin zip tie to keep the simulator from falling out of the plug as the car goes down the road. The zip tie is necessary since the tab is unusable or useless. The zip tie goes around the simulator and plug, in between the wires. I hope this makes sense to you and your mechanic. See Ya! Randy

Hi FLORIDAXLR, It's been a while since I did the Bilstine shocks. Now that you mentioned it, I do remember a small issue with the tab on the simulator being different than the stock tab on the shock. I can't remember if I cut the tab off or just pushed it aside. I do remember once I pushed the simulators into the plugs, I used a very thin zip tie to keep the simulator from falling out of the plug as the car goes down the road. The zip tie is necessary since the tab is unusable or useless. The zip tie goes around the simulator and plug, in between the wires. I hope this makes sense to you and your mechanic. See Ya! Randy

Hey, Randy. Appreciate your reply. They worked it out & all is great! Very much appreciate your taking this on in the first place. We did try the deletion of the program first with a guy who does it for Vettes. No go. So I am more than relieved this worked. Right at $800 for everything. Compared to best case $2200 online just for the parts! BTW, Cadillac dealer would have done the work for $4,476! And I have to give a shout out to Corvettes West in Sarasota if anyone needs this kind of work done. Thanks again, Randy. Jim

Just wanted to say thanks - I now have Bilsteins B8s with a set of Hotchkis front/rear swaybars on mine - made a HUGE difference, next up for the suspension will be springs (soon as I have a couple other things worked out). As a tip, you might want to take a look at the "lowering" bolts on your cars as you do them - mine were in need of replacement, as two were broken and one had no rubber remaining on it after 70k miles.

BTW, I was happy to learn that Big O tires here in Colorado will do UNLIMITED alignments for 150/yr, and I have heard that firestone will do lifetime for around 2-00 bucks, if you all are interested.

2004 XLR with leaking shocks

Cad dealer priced me at $5,100 for the four mags installed. Second time around the price was $4500. Amazon was right at $2,000 & me install them. Third time it was me bring in the ones from Amazon and Cad would install them for $700. They won't install after-market non AC shocks. Yep, Cad only charges $100/hr. labor. But, I had an idea: go to XLR Net. Thanks for the info right when I needed it. Ed, new guy.

Last edited:
Hey EJW 71 and dawnst3ar,
I appreciate the props! Thank you very much. I'm so glad you guys found this information helpful!

My wife and I just went to South Lake Tahoe over the long Memorial Day weekend. We drove up and back on CA Hwy 4, there is about 85 miles each way of twisty canyon road. The XLR rides and drives like a dream.

See Ya! Randy

Randy, My family spent many a time at Lake Tahoe for family reunions. Thanks again, Ed

Last edited:

Of course I thought of something else. It's my understanding that the Bilsteins in question fit 2011-2013 Corvettes. So, who has the OEM stock number for the original AC Delco shocks on the 2011-2013 Corvettes? I get a 10% discount at local Chevy/Corvette dealer plus their labor rate is lower than Cadillas, $90 vs $99. My American Standard Auto Products extended warranty coverage would only pay $90 labor at Cadillac. Of course this was not explained to me at purchase. That's the 2nd firm that has lied to me on warrant coverage. I guess I'll just go extended GM coverage next time. I checked out Hemmings to see if anyone rebuilds the Mags. No go. Ed

I have a set of Simulators that I purchased from caspers that I am looking to sell. Never got a chance to install them. If anyone is interested for a huge discount please check out my post in the for sale section.

Update on Mods

I have been watching this thread for some time now. I have (2) 2004 XLR's with the same front end problem as people talked about in this thread. Now that some of you guys have done this mod is everything ok going to the Bilstien shocks and simulators? If so can someone reaffirm the parts numbers for the front and rear shocks as well as the simulators?

Thanks for all the research! My caddys ride like an army jeep! :drink:

Hey k9husker,
Here are all the part numbers needed for the Shock mod. I purchased all these parts on ebay with free shipping.

Front Shocks, Bilstein B8, part# 24-029773
Rear Shocks, Bilstein B8, part# 24-029780
Simulators, Caspers Electronics, part#109096
Access Denied

Also, don't forget to add a rear sway bar. What a difference that makes. I cant believe GM didn't install a rear sway bar at the factory. I used a 1" one, for a 2005-2009, Z51 Corvette. Here is the link for the Sway Bar mod:
Rear swaybar parts list '04-'09

rear sway bar, Corvette Z51, GM part#10339124

I'm super happy with this set up, my XLR rides like a dream! Good luck with your car!
See Ya!
Randy

I have been watching this thread for some time now. I have (2) 2004 XLR's with the same front end problem as people talked about in this thread. Now that some of you guys have done this mod is everything ok going to the Bilstien shocks and simulators? If so can someone reaffirm the parts numbers for the front and rear shocks as well as the simulators?

Thanks for all the research! My caddys ride like an army jeep! :drink:

Been driving mine as a daily for a few months now with this setup - no issues so far!

shocks

I just replaced my rear shocks with KYB 555609. To get the "service ride control" message off the DIC, I put an 8ohm 50watt resistor on the shock wire. Then I tie wrapped the ride level control arm in the up position (this requires the removal of the arm to the "A" frame). I've put about 100 miles since with several starts and stops.

I have owned many Corvettes and my 2001, 2003 & 2004 were all Z06. Of the three the 2004 with Magnetic Ride was the best handling and best ride. I wouldn't think of removing Mag-Ride from any car. The ride is way better than conventional shocks. This one reason i bought a XLR and the other was the retractable hard top.

I know just about every post I have read on the corvette forum people say they love the car without the mag ride. I guess when its new and works it is a nice ride. However when it gets old and spending 3500 to replace it vs 600 for new shocks might make a difference. I will take standard shocks and a rear sway bar as an improvement in the seat of pants feel I get in mine.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom