Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Adjustment on VVT actuators?!

CadillacSam

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray
Good morning,

after cleaning the oil from all cables I could reach, I bought new VVT actuators.

Hope these are the right ones?!

Now I read the service manual to look at the procedure and it says
adjustment is needed through a hole in the middle using a little stick.
But the little plastic plug in the middle can't be pulled out without damaging it and
I don't think there is anything to adjust as the actuators seem solid.

Can somebody help me with theses?

Thanks a lot,
Sammy

the adjustment it is speaking about is to properly align them .I think you use a couple of 3/16 drill bits to align 2 of the holes before putting the bolt in the third. they have to be right or thy can break off the actuator in the camshaft.

I see, this part of the manual I understand - but the alignment pin through the magnet, by taking the pastic plug out is strange. The plug will not come out and break.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-27 091801.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-27 091801.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot 2022-03-27 091708.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-27 091708.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 107
you do not take that out or you will get leaks. its just an electric magnet that that is controlled by the ecm to adjust voltage .Tear your old one apart and you will see its just a magnetic coil inside .there is no adjustment to it. I did not have the size in front of me .I had a couple of dowel pins that fit perfectly that I use just for this .

Thanks, so you think the step in the manual is not needed?
(I made a picture of it)

Attachments

• DSC_0197.jpg
    DSC_0197.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 105
you can try it but I use two bits in the holes that the bolts go into.align two of the holes and slid it on then install a bolt in the other hole .I have no idea what they are trying to show to do here. There is no adjustment to the sensor other than adjusting the position of it so it aligns properly. if not aligned over the bolt holes properly you can break the end off the oil control valve .I will pull a manual and read the whole thing to see what they are trying to do

That would be nice, thanks you.

It seems like alignment is done through the hole in the middle, but the plastic plug will not come
out without breaking.

you do not remove anything in the middle. You use two dowels the size of the bolt holes. install two dowels thru the part and slide the part on. start the bolt in the empty hole. remove one dowel and install a bolt in hat hole .remove the other dowel and install that bolt . tighten them , plug the wire in and you are done. there is no adjustment to the part. if you look at step 18 in my manual it says to replace the center cap and oring with a new one. I have never done this as you cannot get a cap and oring without buying a actuator. if yo ualign it with the two pins as described or make studs like the manual says you will have no problem .Just make sure the center of the vvt oil control valve inside the camshaft is turning free. you can pull it out just a little and it should spring back in

Last edited:
I just bought EN46109 from Kent Moore, like mentioned in the GM service manual, but the hole
in the actuators don't fit perfectly - the whole is very little bigger.
Is it normal?

sorry I will let someone else help you .I told you how we do it . I t takes fully 15 minutes to change them and no tools are needed other than the line up pins . The manual even shows you how to take a bolt and cut the head off to make the line up pins. thats all the kent moore tool is two bolts with the heads cut off to make a stud. They charge 50-60$ for it . its a simple job and you are making it hard.

Last edited:
Thanks, but the Kent Moore tool I mentioned IS the line up pins...

I well know what the tool is but it is totally unneeded as 2 simple bolts works fine, cut the heads off just like the manual says .cost less than a buck each.
To others that may want to do this job. It is very simple to do. This guy is trying to make a project out of a simple easy to do repair thats stops the oil leak.

I was just following the OFFICIAL INSTRUCTIONS from GM . nothing else.
No need to become rude cause FIRST: nobody forces you to answer me and SECOND: you didn't know about the alignment steps like in in the sercive manual.
I live in Germany, have to check every step twice - when something goes wrong, there's nobody in my area to help me with this.
So please don't write me or answer my posts if it bothers you too much. It is as simple as that.

If you are following the OFFICIAL GM MANUAL then why are you wasting our time asking the same thing over and over?
I answered you from the official GM REPAIR MANUAL and from years of experience. You seem to not want to listen so I will avoid any further talking about the matter . You asked how to do something on a public forum and when a person that has done dozens of them told you the answer you wanted to argue with them. If anyone wants to do the job feel free to contact me and I will send the pages of the manual and show exactly what I stated to do is what GM says to do. Its not rocket science its a part that needs to slide straight on and retain with 3 bolts.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back