Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Another Proud New Owner of a 2006 XLR V

Army Al

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR V InfraRed/Shale 18.5K mi 11/28/14
Excuse the pun, but finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 XLR V purchasing one on Black Friday in moving the economy. Fair price costing $35.7K, with 18,585 miles. InfraRed, Shale/Ebony interior, one previous owner reported by Carfax and in showroom condition. Included was a 4 yr/60K warranty from 1st Choice but I don't put much faith on the paper it was written on. Hopefully I'll never be in a position to use it.

I had to drive the pocket rocket 280 highway miles to my garage averaging 82 mph and 23.7 mpg with the TOP DOWN of course. Slowed down more times than I liked in avoiding contributing to the state coffers. Why can't they just get out of the way, eat donuts or something.

Read this forum thoroughly. May have questions in the near future. Would love any additional comments or recommendations, all are welcomed. Previous Corvette/Porsche owner and the XLR V wins hands down. Ready to ride into the Sunset doing somewhat over the speed limit by a wide margin :).

Last edited:
Congratulations - you couldn't have helped the economy in a better way! Great color combo (I'm kind of partial to it). :cool:

Enjoy your new rocket for the holidays!

Another Proud New Owner of a 2006 XLR V v

imagejpeg
Al
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy the V. I've had mine for a number of years now and love the car. I'm from the north so my top down weather is gone for awhile. If you are reading all you can on this forum you probably already know when not using the car keep the key at least 20 ft from the car. Also if not using the car a battery tender is a must with this car. I've included a picture of my V put down for a long winters nap. If you look close you can see I modified my capsul and the car so I can keep the tender hooked up when the car is in there and the hood is closed. If you have a tender hook up that comes from your battery to an area near your passenger wiper. If you get locked out because of a dead battery you can always charge the battery without getting in the car. I purchased a kit like this that is fused and weather tight when not in use. ( Summit Racing ) If you ever disengage you stability and traction control be very careful it will try to jump out from under you. I know a guy that lost his V that way. Enjoy
V Happy :wave:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 438
Excuse the pun, but finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 XLR V in purchasing one on Black Friday in moving the economy. Fair price at $35.7K with 18,685 miles. Infrared Red exterior with Shale interior in Mint condition with one previous owner reported by a detailed Carfax. Had to drive the rocket 280 highway miles to my garage averaging 82 mph and 23.7 mpg with the TOP DOWN of course. Slowed down more times than I liked in avoiding contributing to the state coffers. Why can't they just get out of the way, eat donuts or something.

Being an old fart, my old man's Cadillac will take me to my end game in life. My Grandnephew has already asked who is getting the XLR V when I depart this crazy world of ours. He's not very tactful. He could have at least waited a week. But we all know young people are entitled to anything they want. I should average no more than 5K miles per year. Keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully he'll get possession with a little over 150K miles on it. By that time, it should be a REAL classic.

Read this forum thoroughly. May have questions in the near future. Would love any additional comments or recommendations, all are welcomed. Previous Corvette and Porsche owner and the XLR V wins hands down. Ready to ride into the Sunset doing somewhat over the speed limit by a wide margin :).

Well let me chime in here. I've had my 2006 infrared BASE now for a couple yrs now (oct 2012). I've only had one major problem with it and that was the trunk. the weather striping needed to be replaced. My service guy finally gave up and put their shortest person in the trunk and closed the lid. They then gave that trunk a super soaking. The guy that was inside the trunk found out that there were some small holes around somewhere. he was a little soaked. So after taking it back and forth to the dealership 3 xthey finally added more sealer. They were so stumbled that they actually told me to bring it back at a later date and t hey would throw in a free full detail. Even after it sits out after a big rain storm, i pull it under a covered area or bring into the garage and check for and water or dampness.
I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on this subject or just search on this site trunk leak.

I've also been asked by my nephews and other neighbors. They say i want that car. I've even entered my xlr in at some of the local shows here. The last big show, I came in 1st place in my category.
image1.jpg
Well again welcome to the club of the xlr.
Hope you will enjoy your ride as much as the others here have.
When you have a chance please post pics
CHRISTMAS XLR.jpg
I was in a parade today ( sat dec 6th 2014) and everyones car was decorated. So here is how i did mine

imagejpeg
Al
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy the V. I've had mine for a number of years now and love the car. I'm from the north so my top down weather is gone for awhile. If you are reading all you can on this forum you probably already know when not using the car keep the key at least 20 ft from the car. Also if not using the car a battery tender is a must with this car. I've included a picture of my V put down for a long winters nap. If you look close you can see I modified my capsul and the car so I can keep the tender hooked up when the car is in there and the hood is closed. If you have a tender hook up that comes from your battery to an area near your passenger wiper. If you get locked out because of a dead battery you can always charge the battery without getting in the car. I purchased a kit like this that is fused and weather tight when not in use. ( Summit Racing ) If you ever disengage you stability and traction control be very careful it will try to jump out from under you. I know a guy that lost his V that way. Enjoy

may i ask What is on your roof?

She looks well protected

http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-v/8238-another-proud-new-owner-of-a-2006-xlr-v.

Hawkeye
That is just a soft blanket I put there in case the power went out or the fan failed and the capsule laid down on the car.
V Happy

Cool. Thinking ahead just encase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i guess you dont star thet car for a few months?
anyhting else you do to put it away?
fuel treatment?
inflate tires?
windows open or closed ?

i just leave mine in garage with drivers window down, but i will be putting in new battery shortly and then wire up the battery minder.
also start it up and drive it every few weeks on days it wont get wet or salty (live outside philadelphia)

so far garage has been dust free, i dont think i'll have any issues for just a winter layover. its gonna get a detail inside and out int he spring anyway:thumbsup

Yes inflate tires so they can slowly deflate when sitting. Also full tank and probably add some sort of good fuel stay bil or other relative treatment. Make sure to give a good wash and wax b4 wintering.
Whenever I put mine in garage I leave drivers window down.

imagejpeg
Al

Never too old to learn. Why 20 ft from the XLR? One more question. Will the hood light illuminate if you just unlatch the hood? That way you have access to the battery for charging. By the way, I expect to drive the car on every weekend, weather permitting. Thanks for the input. Best XLR forum by far.

Like v happy says. You can hook up the tender and run through the passengers side hole but the wiper blade. That way you don't have to raise or open the hood.

Sounds intresting how to hook up tender. Is it possible to get pictures of where this hole near wiper is.. Thanks

http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-v/8238-another-proud-new-owner-of-a-2006-xlr-v.html

Al
i remember the first V I looked at was in a Buick dealership show room. Color the same as your new purchase (beautiful) They started out keeping the keys in the consul. They had a hard time figuring out why the battery was dead ever few days. I guess when the keys are in or near the car it is like leaving the assesories on. Your reciever is always armed and ready to start the car. That is the reason for the the twenty feet. (I added a few feet for safety. ) I don't think the light would stay on if the hood latch was pulled. I've had my battery die while in the garage and I had to go thru the bumper key,lift trunk,pull door release and raise the hood program! That is why I installed the remote tender hook up. It was easy. With these cars a low battery is a common problem.
V Happy. :cool:

Last edited:
imagejpeg
Al

Thanks for the pic of your beautiful V looking like a sleeping beauty in her own little bubble. It's also a great reminder why I live in Southern California!!:cool:

For winter storage I over inflate the tires to the max pressure rating (45psi in my case) to help prevent flat spots. Full clean and detail. Run the tank down to 1/4 then add SeaFoam and fill. Oil change. Store with windows up and covered. I connect the Battery Minder and leave the hood unlatched just in case ( I have no under hood light ). The last thing I do is place a couple mouse traps under the car.

Of course I store the fobs far away, learned that the hard way.

-another-proud-new-owner-of-a-2006-xlr-

Sounds intresting how to hook up tender. Is it possible to get pictures of where this hole near wiper is.. Thanks
Sjp
i have already stored the V in the capsule so until spring I can't take pictures. I do remember I bought a deltron extension kit that had a sealed rubber cap on the connection by the wiper blade. I hooked the negative eyelet directly to the negative battery cable bolt. The positive eyelet was easier to attach were the positive cable hooked up to the distribution box in front of the battery. The kit will have a fuse on this wire. I did like that for safety reasons. I think I had to pierce a small hole below the hood seal to get the connector thru to the outside by the wiper blade. This made a neat and inconspicuous insulation. Sorry about no picture.
V Happy

I thought of this while helping a friend understand her new Infiniti hard top convertible - if you don't usually read owner's manuals, I'd recommend you do so for this car, particularly for the top operation. If you don't have one, the one for each year is available on this site.

Check the the drain in the "bucket" under the carpet on the left hand side of the trunk near the bumper, & be sure the hole is clear. If that fills with water you'll fry the controls for the top & shocks, which means $$$$ & a lawn ornament while you wait for parts. If you can keep your XLR in a garage (or at least with a good cover), I would - they're getting old enough the seals may not be so great & may be more likely to leak.

Given where you live I wouldn't think you'd need to store the car for the winter (we don't), but if you do there's also something called Flatstoppers you can use to prevent flat spots. We use them on a car that's generally stored. Not cheap but better than the problems you get from flat spots.

Post pics when you get a chance!

If you can keep your XLR in a garage (or at least with a good cover), I would - they're getting old enough the seals may not be so great & may be more likely to leak.

An excellent point made by XLRATING.

These cars do not fare well when left outside much, especially in the rain. They are very special and deserve to be treated that way!

An XLR has 22 serial data modules and is far more prone to "glitches" with the electrical system. A good battery and a good battery tender goes a long way towards avoiding problems. Low voltage can cause a myriad of problems with these cars.

If you need to replace the battery at any point, consider installing an Odyssey AGM battery.

Use a good fuel treatment to avoid problems with the fuel tank sensors. CadillacTech recommended the use of the GM Fuel System Treatment and I have been usung it ever since. I have experienced no problems with the fuel system.

I don't leave a battery tender on my XLR continuously, but if it goes a week without being driven, I attach my Odyssey Ultimizer to "top the battery off". Of course, where I live, my XLR is driven year-round.

These cars will reward you if you treat them well!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom