Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Brake Pedal Position Sensor replacement

xlrlist01

Seasoned Member
I recently had the joy of erratic start and or erratic can't get out of park. Diagnosis is defective brake pedal position sensor. As a clue, while I was starting to investigate I had accessory mode on and the brake lights were flashing on and off slowly. I was standing outside my XLR.

So, to replace the BPSS. It is a variable resistor and is held in by a single bolt. However, undoing that 7mm bolt is not a realistic option when in place (this is what the workshop manual sets out). Next option is take off the bracket. This is held in by two 7mm bolts. I found that by turning the steering, it is possible to mount a 1/4 drive 7mm socket on a long extension and it just passes through the universal joint in the steering, giving direct access onto the front bolt. The rear one is easy. The whole unit can be removed and the plug then disconnected.

Undoing the 7mm bolt holding the sensor to the bracket sheered the bolt. At this point I noticed that the new sensor comes with a new bolt too. Excellent!

The plate/bracket has to be fitted the right way round. The curved bit is to the rear, the front bolt goes through the narrow bracket end with a number of little bends in it as it fits round the base plate in the XLR.

The tricky part was while I could fit the bracket in place OK, you also have to push against the spring of the sensor. All of this is in a tight space. I found that by using a small piece of tape I could tape the 7mm bolt to the socket such that the bolt didn't fall out but a slight pull pulled it out of the socket without pulling the socket off the long extension.

Having fitted the new sensor you need a Tech-2 to reprogram the BCM. This is a very quick matter.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back