Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

cadillac xlr shuts of while driving.... Fixed

n2deep

My XLR/V(s)
2004 cadillac xlr
Ok just wanted to send an update after we fixed the issue with our 2004 Cadillac xlr.

at 1st the car just died in the middle of an intersection no warning at all just died. called for a wrecker , it came, when they went load it up the car...it started again. drove it home, to town, and to a restaurant later that evening was fine. next day no start. this went on for several weeks until we just were to scared to drive it anywhere.

went onto several forums trying to find anything remotely close to the problems we were having yet we saw a lot of but no-one coming back telling the fix. or if they did get it fixed. soooo after 3 months of home work and 12 hours of mechanicing <----(not a word I know). I found the issue and hope this helps some of you guys.

1st I tried to crank the car everyday for the 3 months it sat would crank 50% of the time checked fuel rails no pressure at all faulty fuel pump rite ??? well purchased a fuel pump online got the bosch pump because of reviews and set out for the removing exhaust and shifter linkage . there is a tutorial of a 2005 corvette on youtube guy replaces his that is spot on the xlr if your going to try it yourself. its very tedious. we dropped the tank installed new pump put back press start and nothing (which im so glad it did not start ). had it would have started would have given the flase sense that it was fixed and have the same problem again.

dropped tank again checked the fuel pump wiring harness reads 11.87 volts grey wire+ black wire- when under a load crank dropped to 9.1 volts then read the pos grey wire under load different ground no drop in voltage under load was 11.87 volts started tracing wires was a bad ground in one of the harness instead of fixing that ground I made my own and dropped the factory ground now fires rite up every time. so check your wiring harness before you replace the fuel pump this is just f.y.I. im seeing a lot of people with this issue not reporting back a fix to help other xlr-ers.

Thanks for sharing that - I've heard if you're having problems always check the grounds first, there are 2 in particular that tend to get corroded on the XLR - BUT not sure I would have thought of that for what you had going on. You just reinforced the need to always keep that in mind! :rocker:

Ok just wanted to send an update after we fixed the issue with our 2004 Cadillac xlr.

at 1st the car just died in the middle of an intersection no warning at all just died. called for a wrecker , it came, when they went load it up the car...it started again. drove it home, to town, and to a restaurant later that evening was fine. next day no start. this went on for several weeks until we just were to scared to drive it anywhere.

went onto several forums trying to find anything remotely close to the problems we were having yet we saw a lot of but no-one coming back telling the fix. or if they did get it fixed. soooo after 3 months of home work and 12 hours of mechanicing <----(not a word I know). I found the issue and hope this helps some of you guys.

1st I tried to crank the car everyday for the 3 months it sat would crank 50% of the time checked fuel rails no pressure at all faulty fuel pump rite ??? well purchased a fuel pump online got the bosch pump because of reviews and set out for the removing exhaust and shifter linkage . there is a tutorial of a 2005 corvette on youtube guy replaces his that is spot on the xlr if your going to try it yourself. its very tedious. we dropped the tank installed new pump put back press start and nothing (which im so glad it did not start ). had it would have started would have given the flase sense that it was fixed and have the same problem again.

dropped tank again checked the fuel pump wiring harness reads 11.87 volts grey wire+ black wire- when under a load crank dropped to 9.1 volts then read the pos grey wire under load different ground no drop in voltage under load was 11.87 volts started tracing wires was a bad ground in one of the harness instead of fixing that ground I made my own and dropped the factory ground now fires rite up every time. so check your wiring harness before you replace the fuel pump this is just f.y.I. im seeing a lot of people with this issue not reporting back a fix to help other xlr-ers.

thanks for the info!! that's a lot of work, u stuck with it and found the problem,great job :thumbsup:thumbsup Al

Thank You! Always want knowledge about problems and their 'fix'.

A bad ground wire not making connection, yet a lot of work. Not that having a new fuel pump is a negative though. Where exactly was the bad ground in the harness? Approximate location?

Thanks. :cool:

location not exactly sure

It was somewhere near the other tank on passenger side flat harness with about 12 wires in it . after it read the same low voltage as fuel pump harness thats when i said screw this and made my own ground.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom