Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Frustrated new owner

gammonj

I finally purchased a 2006 XLR!!! But I have yet to enjoy it.
On the way home from purchasing the XLR (as is) the check engine light comes on. The dealership in Gainsville Florida said bring it back and they will look at it. They said they replaced the cam position sensor. Next day,Pinging / Detonation Sound and check engine light on. Decided to take to my local Cadillac Dealership. I was informed next day cam gear needs replaced. Oh and water pump leaks and it needs rear brake pads. VERY long story short: the water pump and brakes are done. HOWEVER…They need to get a tool (to secure the timing chain) and it was gonna take a day or so. Timing chain tool came in, and the gear replaced. During the test drive the check engine light came back on. I was told last week the mechanic was waiting on tech support to get back with him on the codes it is throwing. It took 5 days for a Cadillac tech to get back with the Cadillac Dealership?! Really! Are they that swamped with issues? The mechanic was advised to replace the positive wire to the ECM. Hope that is the fix. They have had my car longer than me, 15 days.

Cruddy Start. I am assuming the dealership is sorting out and paying for the fixes? Considering the trouble you have had I would press them into providing you with a longer warranty than what was coming with the car originally.

Rest assured, once you have the issues sorted out this mess will all become a foggy bad memory: it will be overcome by the elation that somehow you are the blessed owner of one of the coolest and most unique cars out there! Hope that sorts out to be very soon; keep the faith! :burnout:

The dealership where I purchased is not paying for any fixes. The Cadillac dealership that has my car is standing behind their work. They told me that they appreciate my patience and will indeed get it sorted out for me. At no cost to me above what I was quoted from the beginning.
You are correct, it is one of the most coolest and unique cars out there. I have owned many vehicles from all classes, but this is by far the biggest Head Turner! Thanks for the encouragement.

Problems

The dealership where I purchased is not paying for any fixes. The Cadillac dealership that has my car is standing behind their work. They told me that they appreciate my patience and will indeed get it sorted out for me. At no cost to me above what I was quoted from the beginning.
You are correct, it is one of the most coolest and unique cars out there. I have owned many vehicles from all classes, but this is by far the biggest Head Turner! Thanks for the encouragement.

Friend I have a 2004 with 4 pages of service work. Just got out of shop for replacement of right side fuel pump & sending unit. Only $1,400.00. The left side was replaced @ 28,415. I realize some XLR owners do not like to hear this but I think new owners should be aware what they may look for. You will enjoy driving but at expense. Oh failed to mention 4 tows. Stay with this forum & you will learn a lot about the XLR.

David J.

Question?

quote: "On the way home from purchasing the XLR (as is) the check engine light comes on. "

Did you purchase the XLR from a private owner, or at a Cadillac dealership?

Purchased from a used car dealership, not a Cadillac dealership. I took it to Plaza Cadillac in Leesburg, FL. It seems no one there can figure out the codes that it is now throwing after replacing cam gear. They are waiting for Cadillac's "tech support" to advise what steps to take next. Like waiting for Best Buy's Geek Squad to call you back. What is frustrating is that Plaza Cadillac waited THREE DAYS to hear back from Cadillac Support...and were told to replace positive wire to ECM. It, too didn't work.

sounds like a rough road ahead,,, good luck

"Purchased from a used car dealership, not a Cadillac dealership."

OK,,,I now feel your pain, somewhat.. During negotiations, and before actually buying the car, you should have demanded a 90 day warranty for 80% of the cost of parts and Labor (if needed) on the car. If the selling used car lot isn't willing to go that far at a minimum on this type of car, its time to bolt away as fast as you can.

Sorry to say I'm sure you could have purchased a better XLR from a private owner (face to face),,,, or from a Cadillac or other GM dealership which would stand behind the quality of the car. When a Cadillac dealer, or other GM dealer trades for a 'problem vehicle' ,,, its usually wholesaled to the independent, used car dealer lots immediately.

jmo

p z

Purchased from a used car dealership, not a Cadillac dealership. I took it to Plaza Cadillac in Leesburg, FL. It seems no one there can figure out the codes that it is now throwing after replacing cam gear. They are waiting for Cadillac's "tech support" to advise what steps to take next. Like waiting for Best Buy's Geek Squad to call you back. What is frustrating is that Plaza Cadillac waited THREE DAYS to hear back from Cadillac Support...and were told to replace positive wire to ECM. It, too didn't work.

Can you post the codes and symptoms here?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom