Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! HELP 2006 XLR-V shifter does nothing

PFG

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Cadillac XLR-V Red Jewel
Hello fello XLR enthusiasts.
My name is Frank and i have been a very happy owner of a 2006 XLR-V for three years. The car has only 25,000 miles on it and 4,000 of them are from my enjoyment of this beautiful car. Has been a dream of mine to own this car since I first saw it when getting off the Test Track ride at Disneyworld. I now have a problem with it that i hope my fellow enthusiasts can help me with.
A week ago i started the car and let it warm up while i did a few errands around the house. When i jumped into the car to take off there was no response from the shifter. I thought this may have been a theft deterrent feature since i had been away from the car with the key FOB in my pocket but now i can't get the car to go into any gear, as if the trans is disconnected from the shifter. After reading some other posts about broken shifter cables I'm wondering if this is my problem. I would love to say that i am more mechanically inclined but I would be lying. I don't want to have it towed to the mechanic, or worse, the dealership if it is a minor item that i may be able to take care of. If anyone has some advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Looking forward to any advise I can get.
Thanks Again,
Frank

The shifter cable has a nylon/plastic grommet on each end of the shifter cable. These crack and fall out and leave you stuck like you describe. If the transmission end of the cable is broken, it's a pretty easy fix. If it's on the shifter end of the cable, it's a little more complex as you have to remove the driveline tunnel plate with it's 30 some-odd bolts, and the h-pipe crossover to get to the shifter cable. O'Reilly's, NAPA and others sell replacement grommets for both ends of the cable, or do what I did, and just replace the entire cable assembly for around 55$. You'll need a lift or a jack and jackstands to do this

The shifter cable has a nylon/plastic grommet on each end of the shifter cable. These crack and fall out and leave you stuck like you describe. If the transmission end of the cable is broken, it's a pretty easy fix. If it's on the shifter end of the cable, it's a little more complex as you have to remove the driveline tunnel plate with it's 30 some-odd bolts, and the h-pipe crossover to get to the shifter cable. O'Reilly's, NAPA and others sell replacement grommets for both ends of the cable, or do what I did, and just replace the entire cable assembly for around 55$. You'll need a lift or a jack and jackstands to do this
Good Afternoon, Rexter314.
sorry for the delay in response but Thank You for the information. Because of work schedule and vacations I have not checked to see if it was the trans connection. I do, however, appreciate your quick response and I owe you for it.
Thanks Again.
Frank

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry