Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help prevent a robbery.

96collector

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Shale XLR
I recently replaced the two main lift cylinders for my top. All went well but now the top will not work at all. I figured it was a problem with a sensor or switch which is way above my tool/experience level. I took it to a shop which was recommended to me as having the equipment and knowledge to isolate the problem. They called today and said I needed a couple of parts, a convertible top cover panel position switch (19120639) and a rear compartment lid latch (15847487). The position switch is no longer available, and the latch is super expensive. I've spent most of the morning chasing parts and found the lid latch on ebay but not the position switch. I can't figure out why I need the latch cause my top latches and unlatches fine from every location except the top control on the console. I can't find a picture of the position switch, but I have a feeling it is the switch on the console. Not sure but it would seem to make sense that if the up/down switch doesn't work the rear hatch wouldn't operate. These same folks want $815 to install the parts and run a program to program the top. How much is fair for the programing?

Well if you dont respond i cannot help. You can bypass the cargo switch with a jumper to see if its the problem. If you can open the trunk with the trunk button then the trunk latch is not the problem. If the cargo switch is bad you can change it in about 5 minutes. If the trunk latchnis bad it boltsbon in about 30 minutes. Neither replacement requires any programming of the top module

Well if you dont respond i cannot help. You can bypass the cargo switch with a jumper to see if its the problem. If you can open the trunk with the trunk button then the trunk latch is not the problem. If the cargo switch is bad you can change it in about 5 minutes. If the trunk latchnis bad it boltsbon in about 30 minutes. Neither replacement requires any programming of the top module
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, No excuse. I have been listening to people who claim to know the problem and how to fix it, but no luck at all, Tech two testing was a total failure. No problem codes returned and system would not relearn.

Not sure if I can help but I have a few questions. Did the top go up and down before you changed the lift cylinders? Did you change the cylinders or did someone else? If it worked before, then something you did, on purpose or by accident may have caused the problem, unless something else failed at the same time and that's a big coincidence. Retrace your steps, maybe something is just out of adjustment or you could have a loose wire. If you haven't tried this yet, disconnect the battery for a few hours and then try again, it's worth a shot.
Good luck

Well the cylinders are all the work; I did one and thought that would solve the fluid loss and even looked (I thought) at the other side dreading having to do both. Dread or not it was leaking also (ya mickytee should have bought yours) any way off the be rebuilt! Replacing the cylinder should not stop the top from working more than likely you did not plug in the cargo switch when reinstalling the carpeted side mine is bypassed but there are a gaggle of wires in that area and would be easy overlooked.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom