Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Intermittent Check engine light...

My XLR/V(s)
2004 - Thunder Gray - XLR
Last summer I started getting my check engine light coming on, then it would go off by the time I would get ready to run it to the shop. I finally got it to the dealership who said it was a small leak (Code: P0171 Running lean - Bank 1) but they couldn't find it. The tech said it was big enough for the car's sensors to pick it up but after they put it through their normal paces (colored smoke etc.) couldn't locate it. Then she was put up for the winter. This summer started with no issues and a few months ago it started again BUT this time anytime I would "Punch it" the light would return, I go get my regular oil change and add my fuel treatment to the system and for months NO Check engine light at all... Yesterday it came back on. Has anyone dealt with this issue before and if so what if anything can I do about it. Trying to get her ready for the drive to Carmel Artomobilia. Thanks family.

Last edited:
Coupla Thoughts

We've kicked this around in the past. Seems like a few things were brought up as potential causes for this.

1) Leak in the intake system. Sometimes the clamps are not tightened enough, and air gets sucked in behind the MAF. This can cause the engine to run lean.

2) Excessive oiling of after-market air filters can foul the MAF and cause it to work poorly.

3) An oxygen sensor on the affected bank may be hosed, and reporting false info.

4) Check to be sure the intake manifold is still screwed down tight.

5) Verify that your gas cap is screwed in.

It doesn't take long to check these and make sure the problem isn't really cheap and easy to fix. :wave:

Good luck.

Tim

Will do...

We've kicked this around in the past. Seems like a few things were brought up as potential causes for this.

1) Leak in the intake system. Sometimes the clamps are not tightened enough, and air gets sucked in behind the MAF. This can cause the engine to run lean.

2) Excessive oiling of after-market air filters can foul the MAF and cause it to work poorly.

3) An oxygen sensor on the affected bank may be hosed, and reporting false info.

4) Check to be sure the intake manifold is still screwed down tight.

5) Verify that your gas cap is screwed in.

It doesn't take long to check these and make sure the problem isn't really cheap and easy to fix. :wave:

Good luck.

Tim

Will check those immediately... I'm trying to weed out all the simple things first before going back to the dealer. Although I do have an extended warranty it's just a huge hassle running back and forth to the shop so they can keep it a week, you know?

... Thanks Busa.

In my case it was simply loose intake bolts. Took five minutes to tighten and the light has never come on again. I check them now at least once a month. Hope you r as lucky.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom