Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! intermittent fuel system light

MikeM

My XLR/V(s)
2005 red XLR
Shortly after filling the XLR with Chevron 91, the DIC reads "service full system" for a time then goes away. The dealer ran diagnostics and didn't find anything. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, unfortunately! It probably indicates that there is corrosion on the fuel sensor/sender in the fuel tank. It may continue to get worse with time. The gas gauge may suddenly go to empty and then recover. I finally had to pull the driver side saddle tank and replace the sensor/sender, about $2000 and a couple days down time. However, there is an AC Delco fuel additive that may clean up the corrosion. It can be added up to 2 times but not recommended beyond that. If you want more info contact Danny Smith at Legends Luxury Auto Repair, Tempe, AZ, 480/947-2848. He is XLR certified and it may be worth a trip over to see him to fully diagnose the problem. Good luck, mine drove me crazy for two years!

While I agree with Clutchman's post above,,,,you might want to first try the use of STAR TRON fuel treatment to assist in cleaning out the varnish and other containments harming your fuel system. The Corvette blog posters brag about its use, and I am now a user of STAR TRON as well.

YouTube

b275b0f7-50dd-4b7c-a2c6-2cc0c26a0f03_1.f5c0fd702845cb504837523578947cc3.jpeg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry