Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Just bought 04 XLR, not too happy. Swerves all over the lane trying to go straight. Any ideas???

Tom H

My XLR/V(s)
Hi guys,

I just bought a babied 04 xlr, 25k miles. It has lived here in SW Florida it's whole life. I love the car but it can be seriously hard to drive at times.

75% of the roads it drives smooth, tracks straight, no unusual wheel pull, everything is perfect.
But on other roads your really have to muscle the wheel around to keep the car straight. The best way I can describe it is it feels like its diving into particular indents and grooves in the pavement. Once it dives in, its stuck in this groove until you aggressively tilt the wheel over to get out, but even then it bounces out and you have to re-correct it on the way out too.

Ive checked the tire pressures cold, both front and back all 28psi. Nitro Filled.
Tires are Michelin Radical XSE 235/50 ZR18. Stock Wheels.

Any ideas or things I could look for?
My son is going to put it on his jack later and look closer at the front end bushings and steering components.

Thanks in advance!

When I first bought mine, the front wandered all over the road especially on the interstate with wallowed out lanes. I had a four wheel alignment performed and replaced the front tires. She now tracks beautifully on any road condition.

Hi guys,

I just bought a babied 04 xlr, 25k miles. It has lived here in SW Florida it's whole life. I love the car but it can be seriously hard to drive at times.

75% of the roads it drives smooth, tracks straight, no unusual wheel pull, everything is perfect.
But on other roads your really have to muscle the wheel around to keep the car straight. The best way I can describe it is it feels like its diving into particular indents and grooves in the pavement. Once it dives in, its stuck in this groove until you aggressively tilt the wheel over to get out, but even then it bounces out and you have to re-correct it on the way out too.

Ive checked the tire pressures cold, both front and back all 28psi. Nitro Filled.
Tires are Michelin Radical XSE 235/50 ZR18. Stock Wheels.

Any ideas or things I could look for?
My son is going to put it on his jack later and look closer at the front end bushings and steering components.

Thanks in advance!

Just wondering if they are original tires? If so they are 11-12 years old and tires loose their ability to do their job correctly due to rubber breakdown/hardening etc. Tires should be replaced if over 7 years old, in Canada an tire dealer can NOT sell tires over 3 years old (son in that business) If you purchased from a Cadillac dealer I would guess they would have been replaced, but if purchased privately I would guess they are original.

There is a coding date stamped on the sidewall in usually a oval/rectangular imprint the last four digits will be numbers the first two being the 'week of the year, the last two the year. Curious if this is the issue. :burnout:

see
Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry