Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MaxCare Extended Warranty; 2007 XLR

madcurl

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2007 XLR Infrared
Well, time has come to place my 2007 XLR into the shop for repairs. Currently, I have a MaxCare warranty so I call CarMax to make appointment to which they booked out till lthree weeks. They then mentioned that I can take my car to the local Cadillac dearlership ( this is the only option I'd recommend). So I arrive around noon April 2nd 2015 and the car will need to stay over night due to time constraints, so I catch a train back home and wait for the diagnostics which are at least six in total.

1. Power sterring .
2. Fuel check sensor malfunction .
3. Trunk actuators .
4. CD player malfunction .
5. Drivers side door switch pad malfunction .
6. Front hood struts .

Okay, the rep at Micheal Cadillac named Ryan is a nice guy and gives me 411 regarding MaxCare. There is a diagnostic fee for each of the six problems listed which about $700, but he tells me that if MaxCare covers the item listed the diagnostic fee is waved. I give them at least two business days and I called them next Tuesday. On Tuesday if find out I have three options from MaxCare.

1. They will replace the fuel floating system, trunk actuators, and front hood struts with new parts by the dearlership with no charge.
2. CD player and power sterring unit with remanufactered parts but I will need to have CarMax do the repairs free of charge and/or .
3. Replace CD player and sterring unit new from the dealership, but at a cost of $1326 plus tax =$1400?

Well, I'm going with 1 & 3. This makes sense because who else would I want under my hood and besides, it makes sense because I would have to make another appointed if I had CarMax do the work and they're booked out three weeks. Anyway, I need to check the fine print as-too why they replace certain parts new wheras others with remanufactered parts (from my research this sometimes means used parts).

Any thoughts on this supject would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
d906f0e25b358035181d4b8b0ae03ed3.jpg

The drop off.

96390012b8f2f304a734ae8cf28a7c01.jpg

Has anybody used MaxCare and if so what was your experience ?

The dealership mentioned that the deck unit alone was about 2k new! The sterring unit about $1700 or so. I

I guess it depends what your maxcare cost. The extended warrantees I looked at where about $3200 for 3 years..

I guess it depends what your maxcare cost. The extended warrantees I looked at where about $3200 for 3 years..

For $3200 for 3 years,,,I'd pass and play the odds. My Viper extended Mopar factory warranty for 3 years was $1100 with a $100 deductible....much more reasonable. Never had to use it, but was a great selling point when the time came to unload it,,,due to knee problem while shifting the 'heavy' Tremec tranny.

lethandhersnake02.jpg

Repair work approved

Okay, some updates. I got a call from Micheal Cadillac this Thursday and MaxCare approved the work on the XLR and that it would take several days. My guess it will be next Wednesday or Thursday before the car is finished. MaxCare also paid for a rental @$40 per day for 7-days with unlimited miles. There was a $50 deductable on top of the $1387 (out of pocket) plus tax. Total is around $1500 or a bit less.

This perhaps was the best route since I didn't want CarMax employees (Jack of all trades and master of none) working on my car plus having to wait until the next avalible opening which was booked two weeks out when I initially called. The total cost was well over 6k and with everything being replaced with new parts, so I'm a happy camper, but I will see once I pick up my XLR next week. Stay tuned.

If this was going to be my daily driver I might have paid it. But I won't be putting 12k miles a year on this, so as you say I'm going to play the odds.

I can get things fixed cheaper than whoever an aftermarket warranty place can anyway.

I figure I'm already $3200 ahead.

For $3200 for 3 years,,,I'd pass and play the odds. My Viper extended Mopar factory warranty for 3 years was $1100 with a $100 deductible....much more reasonable. Never had to use it, but was a great selling point when the time came to unload it,,,due to knee problem while shifting the 'heavy' Tremec tranny.

lethandhersnake02.jpg

If this was going to be my daily driver I might have paid it. But I won't be putting 12k miles a year on this, so as you say I'm going to play the odds.

I can get things fixed cheaper than whoever an aftermarket warranty place can anyway.

I figure I'm already $3200 ahead.

David,,,,, I believe you are absolutely correct..you have a $3200 head-start over the rest of the field... good decision

Pick-up next Tuesday

Well, I received a call from Ryan on Thursday, but I was working so I called back and they informed me that my XLR is ready for pick-up. Good news: all six items on the list was replaced with new parts by authorized dealership/Technician at Michael Cadillac in Fresno CA. :thumbsup The original CD player was sent out and I was told that the six CDs will be mailed back to me.:D

As for MaxCare I'm glad that I purchased the insurance for I certainly didn't want to pay out-of-pocket $6k for repairs while at the same time paying Uncle Sam on the week of tax day. :reddevil Anyway, I'm going to catch the train on Tuesday for Pick-up. I never got around to renting a car from Enterprise. The cars on the lot were boring and the car I really wanted was already rented out which was a Camero:cool:. I'll stick with the Northstar Fiero:lol:.

I haven't looked at the bill, but they told me it was around $1500 and my round trip train ticket was $48. Granted, MaxCare option A was too pay 100% of the $6k, but that wasn't (IMHO) my best option as I've previously stated.

8686df36b262490e029a1948c7611d41.jpg

cf0ebf9c96c7e1b05919505e0eca8603.jpg

I thought follow-up on this thread. The dealership fixed everything and MaxCare paid for the work. I was able to get my CDs back there were jammed in the CD changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
janet AND michael ??!!:party

" who's bad?! "
" really really bad!? "

janet AND michael ??!!:party

" who's bad?! "
" really really bad!? "

I was missing those tunes especially, Bad to the Bone, Art Porter, MJ, Janet, Jon B, and Mystic. :cool:

What MaxCare paid and what I paid. MC was nearly 5k. They would've paid for a refurbished CD deck, but I opt for a new unit which I paid. Pretty good insurance so far.

cc397fd3de104a3c136bf875015114c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry