Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Should I buy this 2006 XLR for 25K?

My personal experience with carfax. I had a car totaled, turned into insurance, collected insurance check and then bought it back from insurance co. I later checked the carfax and NO accident showed. I am sure if you find a history, then it is there, but just because you don't find one doesn't mean, no accidents!!!

You must still check the car or have it checked. I don't see the point of a carfax in light of what I KNOW FOR FACT

Update fromt he Tech 2 evaluation

Here are the results of the pre-purchase inspection:</SPAN></SPAN>
$998 for the ride control module and a sensor in the shock</SPAN></SPAN>
$498 to align the top</SPAN></SPAN>
$291.26 for both belts</SPAN></SPAN>
$623 Front brake pads and rotors</SPAN></SPAN>
$81 cabin filter</SPAN></SPAN>
$200 Passenger side sun visor </SPAN></SPAN>
Misc other stuff Wiper blades, Nav DVD is scratched and it only has one transmitter.</SPAN></SPAN>

The tech 2 stated it needs brake rotors right away as they are rusted out bad. Remember that salt air I spoke about in the first post</SPAN></SPAN>J</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>
He also said that servicing the ride control module is optional. The car will ride soft but it wont damage the shocks. None of the shocks are leaking. I don’t care about the crap like the sun visor or the cabin filter. Ill get to that when I can do it myself. </SPAN></SPAN>

The car has been serviced from day 1 at this dealership and the tech confirmed that the car has 17,000 miles</SPAN></SPAN>
Soooo would you buy the car for $25k</SPAN></SPAN>

Well, I'd sure be tempted to subtract the $3K, or so, that it'll take to "fix" the car. I'd (for sure) fix the RCM and the top, while you can still find someone who can get the parts and do it. I would like to know how the Tech II can tell that the rotors are rusted. :dunno: I'd also fix the DVD system and get the newest disk that you can. If you're gonna replace the rotors, look elsewhere on this forum for discussions of the bigger rotors/brakes available.

All in all, I'd go for the $22K and see how it goes. FWIW

Tim

Here are the results of the pre-purchase inspection:
$998 for the ride control module and a sensor in the shock
$498 to align the top
$291.26 for both belts
$623 Front brake pads and rotors
$81 cabin filter
$200 Passenger side sun visor
Misc other stuff Wiper blades, Nav DVD is scratched and it only has one transmitter.

The tech 2 stated it needs brake rotors right away as they are rusted out bad. Remember that salt air I spoke about in the first postJ
He also said that servicing the ride control module is optional. The car will ride soft but it wont damage the shocks. None of the shocks are leaking. I don’t care about the crap like the sun visor or the cabin filter. Ill get to that when I can do it myself.

The car has been serviced from day 1 at this dealership and the tech confirmed that the car has 17,000 miles
Soooo would you buy the car for $25k

So you pay $25,000 for the car, add $2,700 for repairs = $27,700. Kelly Blue Book shows it as being worth $35,000. It just depends on how bad you want the car and if you are willing to spend the money for repairs and drive a first class XLR.

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update and say thank you.</SPAN>
I purchased the 2006 XLR .
</SPAN>
I took it to a reputable Cadillac dealership to get the work done while I’m out of the country. They found waaaay more items wrong with the car. </SPAN>
The total was about $6200 of repairs. About $5000 of that are repairs that absolutely needs to be done (not stuff like wiper blades, cabin filter, replace sun visor, etc.)</SPAN>
I am having most of the repairs done while out of the country.</SPAN>
Ill start a new post for this but does anyone have a set of front brake discs and shoes they want to sell me? I know many people upgrade and I would like to purchase the original and install them myself. </SPAN>

Here are the results of the pre-purchase inspection:</SPAN></SPAN>
$998 for the ride control module and a sensor in the shock</SPAN></SPAN>
$498 to align the top</SPAN></SPAN>
$291.26 for both belts</SPAN></SPAN>
$623 Front brake pads and rotors</SPAN></SPAN>
$81 cabin filter</SPAN></SPAN>
$200 Passenger side sun visor </SPAN></SPAN>
Misc other stuff Wiper blades, Nav DVD is scratched and it only has one transmitter.</SPAN></SPAN>

The tech 2 stated it needs brake rotors right away as they are rusted out bad.
I don't know what kind of tech 2 they have but that will only tell you if a sensor or module is bad not actual rotors unless there warped and anti lock is affected. As for all those parts wow hate to go to your parts guy. Cabin filter is like 15 bucks, front pads and rotors maybe 300. After having it inspected deduct problems and you should be alright. Double check your prices everything sounds pretty pricey.

Just a little financial advice here:

DON'T EVER SPEND HALF YOUR SAVINGS ON A POSSIBLY EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN CAR!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom