Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top stopped

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
BobbyT here. Just got home from a three hour trip with the top down. Pulled into the garage and try to put the top up. It’s been hesitating a little lately and making a lot of noise. Well today the top struggled to get all the way up. The top finally made it all the way but didn’t lock. Then every thing stop. Control display said top over temperature. Top not locked. Took an 8mm Allen wrench and locked the top. Physically closed the trunk. Thought after things cooled down I would be ok. NOT! The trunk still unlatched put I have to lift it up. It also locks. Am I in for a new pump? Any ideas out there.
Thanks,
BobbyT

Again retractable top

BoobyT

It sound that the motor is freely spinning, as it got hot or else, check the oil at the motor oil reservoir, the level should be in between of the 2 marks.
If the oil is low get the specific hydraulic oil, fill up the reservoir to its mark, if it is empty that mean a leak from the hydraulic pipes, if not the motors could be the problem.

On the above heading is the advertiser ''TH Hydraulic'' click on his web site and have a look at his videos, there is one on how to replace the motor, that could help you in identifying the problem.

Tomorrow give him a call, he could tell you the problem, he has the parts available, and if you live close to his repair shop, he is the expert on the retractable top, its your luck.

Good luck.

IAN :(

A9   XR062217-088-04__70674.1503696179.1280.1280[1] (1).jpgA9    cadillacxlrdiagram[1].jpg

Oil level is fine. I heard there’s a thermistor that might have failed. I’m going to discuss everything with Top Hydraulics tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Retractable top

Hi BobbyT

The thermistor is the thermometer/resistor for the overheat of the motor, if the motor gets too often hot, its could get the thermistor of been defective.

Is it the motor or the thermistor, or both…. the expert will tell.

Good choice to call ''TH Hydraulic''

IAN :dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry