Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Transmission linkage failed, parking brake on and top is down

mmagic

My XLR/V(s)
2005 silver
Was parking the car in the garage and went from park and then reverse and then park and it slipped and linkage to transmission must be broken (hopefully bushing at the transmission). As the car was rolling down hill in the driveway, I hit the parking brake. The top is down on the car. Can't put the top up because it thinks the car is not in park. Can't start the car as it thinks the car is not in park. Can't get the emergency brake off unless I start the car and put in drive. The only thing I can think of for now is to get two dollies under the rear wheels and push the car into the garage. Any other way to get the parking brake off? Also I will need the bushing at the transmission but many know where to find it (as I've read)

There is a leaver just above the floor light by the emergency brake, hard to see unless you remove the cover plate but if you reach your finger up just past the light you will find it. I don't know for sure but I think that will release the brake. Safety first, good luck.

Was parking the car in the garage and went from park and then reverse and then park and it slipped and linkage to transmission must be broken (hopefully bushing at the transmission). As the car was rolling down hill in the driveway, I hit the parking brake. The top is down on the car. Can't put the top up because it thinks the car is not in park. Can't start the car as it thinks the car is not in park. Can't get the emergency brake off unless I start the car and put in drive. The only thing I can think of for now is to get two dollies under the rear wheels and push the car into the garage. Any other way to get the parking brake off? Also I will need the bushing at the transmission but many know where to find it (as I've read)
Well, jacked up the back end and put two dollies under the back wheels and with 4 guys we pushed it into the garage for now. Nice to have a friend with a welding fab shop!

There is a leaver just above the floor light by the emergency brake, hard to see unless you remove the cover plate but if you reach your finger up just past the light you will find it. I don't know for sure but I think that will release the brake. Safety first, good luck.
Thanks. Will check that out.

Thank you so very much. Removed the cover and there is a little lever with a yellow handle. Pivoted it 90 degrees and the parking brake came off! You are a life saver!

You're welcome
Good luck on the repairs, hopefully it's just the rear cable bushing. That's the easier one to replace, you can see it just in front of the trans when you look up between the exhaust pipes. You can easily reach up an shift the trans into park from there also.

You're welcome
Good luck on the repairs, hopefully it's just the rear cable bushing. That's the easier one to replace, you can see it just in front of the trans when you look up between the exhaust pipes. You can easily reach up an shift the trans into park from there also.
Got her jacked up and stands under it and put the shifter in "Park" and crawled underneath and pushed the lever to where it matched the cable extension. I put the head into the hole where the bushing goes and waiting for part to arrive to finish the install. Had to zip the file as it said it was too big.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.HEIC.zip
    576.2 KB · Views: 60
You can get the Dorman bushing at most any parts store. The numbers been listed before
Thank you for your assistance. Got her jacked up and stands under it and put the shifter in "Park" and crawled underneath and pushed the lever to where it matched the cable extension. I put the head into the hole where the bushing goes and waiting for part to arrive to finish the install. Had to zip the file as it said it was too big. Ordered Dorman 14797

Attachments

• IMG_1189.HEIC.zip
    576.2 KB · Views: 47

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry