Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

V Hood on a base

rmatt

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Blue Steel XLR
I have a 2006 base XLR that I am interested in installing a V or Platinum hood. I understand they are the same thing. Because I have chrome wheels I am wanting to go with a chrome grille. I purchased a star black grille, which is chromed, and will have to have the lower trim part of the grill painted Blue Steel to match my car. My biggest concern is when looking at the V hood I see that there is a chrome trim piece on the hood at the grille. I would prefer not to use this piece of chrome trim and was wondering......does this piece of chrome just adhere to the hood with adhesive or is it bolted on. I really don't want to purchase the hood and have a body shop have to fill bolt holes before painting it. Also, is there any thing else that is needed other than the hood deadener or is it pretty much a straight swap. I look forward to hearing from all the knowledgable members from this site.

I have a 2006 base XLR that I am interested in installing a V or Platinum hood. I understand they are the same thing. Because I have chrome wheels I am wanting to go with a chrome grille. I purchased a star black grille, which is chromed, and will have to have the lower trim part of the grill painted Blue Steel to match my car. My biggest concern is when looking at the V hood I see that there is a chrome trim piece on the hood at the grille. I would prefer not to use this piece of chrome trim and was wondering......does this piece of chrome just adhere to the hood with adhesive or is it bolted on. I really don't want to purchase the hood and have a body shop have to fill bolt holes before painting it. Also, is there any thing else that is needed other than the hood deadener or is it pretty much a straight swap. I look forward to hearing from all the knowledgable members from this site.

ChdreuqoemBeovVnbzbxvxxvbnbczxbn

ChdreuqoemBeovVnbzbxvxxvbnbczxbn

Hummm ya, iPhone really doing weird things there.

Chrome trim on the hood is bolted on. But also the front edge of the hood is dished for the trim to fit into. So you would have to have the whole front edge worked. The chrome trim is like $80.

the front edge would have to be worked good bit other than just filling holes. Not sure of interference with the grill on an 06 if the v hood is used . Most I have seen have the v grill to go with it

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the responses weren't what I was hoping for. Love that V hood but prefer the base chrome grille. Trying to use both, it appears, may be more of a challenge than I'm ready to take on. Not that I don't like a good challenge it's just that I really don't want to spend 1400.00 on a hood just to spend another few to have it reworked. So unless I hear something different it looks like I'll just have to do the grille. I am excited about that. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the responses weren't what I was hoping for. Love that V hood but prefer the base chrome grille. Trying to use both, it appears, may be more of a challenge than I'm ready to take on. Not that I don't like a good challenge it's just that I really don't want to spend 1400.00 on a hood just to spend another few to have it reworked. So unless I hear something different it looks like I'll just have to do the grille. I am excited about that. Thanks again for the info.

I would only be concerned about clearance on the stock grille. I will compare a v one I have and a stock one to see if there is fitment issues. If not I would install the v hood and just paint the upper chrome molding to match body color as you are going to have to paint the lower grill anyway. Thtat way it does not damage the stock v hood. If it fits it would look fine

I've been looking at photo's of the different XLR's on this site. I do like the 09 platinum XLR grilles and they do appear to be chrome. They are not the mesh type that I see on the V's. Do all V's have the mesh style? When checking the fitment of the 09 grille on my 06 it states that it will not fit. Does anyone know what the difference is that prohibits it from fitting? I would go with that if it were possible.

Last edited:
I am also wondering if the 09 Platinum grille with not fit an 06 because of interference with the base hood. If that's the case does anyone know if I could order an 09 Platinum grille and hood and install those on my 06?

I am also wondering if the 09 Platinum grille with not fit an 06 because of interference with the base hood. If that's the case does anyone know if I could order an 09 Platinum grille and hood and install those on my 06?
09 has to match up to the 09 bumper which has a sharper angle to it. Wont work with out a good bit of work.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom