Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! VIN number XLR

79XLR79

My XLR/V(s)
XLR 2004 NOIRE
Hello,

I am the owner of a 2004 Cadillac XLR living in France.
During the French technical control, my XLR was refused because we did not find the VIN number which must be cold stamped on the chassis.
Can someone tell me where is the cold stamped VIN number

Thanks for your help

Hi & welcome!
That's a really good question. I suspect this will require a reply from someone who has been to the depths of the XLR - by my experience with prior GM models, they don't really want 'the general public' to find that marking. This of course in the event of theft and re-numbering purposes.

I recall a much, much older GM model that had a stamped VIN on the frame just underneath a dashboard speaker, but that by no way means that's where you would find one for the XLR in that location.

I would suggest that whomever answers this, consider to do so via a private message. We wouldn't want to see XLRs start vanishing, only to reappear with 'new' identities...in other words, this sort of information really shouldn't be set out as public knowledge. ;)

If nobody here can answer you, you may need to contact GM and they would probably ask a handful of questions prior to divulging that sort of detail.

Good luck!

Gord :thumbsup

Since the 80s GM has been putting the VIN on all major assemblies like the fenders and the SPI sticker in the trunk. Should be able to find several. Is generally one on the chassis near the rear axle. Nothing secret about it. What is illegal is restamping.

Now how to tell a GTO from a rebadged LeMans, that am not going to discuss.

Last edited:
Since the 80s GM has been putting the VIN on all major assemblies like the fenders and the SPI sticker in the trunk. Should be able to find several. Is generally one on the chassis near the rear axle. Nothing secret about it. What is illegal is restamping. haha

I actually know that one. at least a couple of give aways that its not a GTO 66-67 era . the XLR vin is stamped on top of the frame under the rear top storage area. you will not get to it with out major damage to the body. The cowl vin and door vin and as stated all the panels have a vin number attached . unless its been wrecked and numbers do not match I wonder why they are looking for the chassis vin

Now how to tell a GTO from a rebadged LeMans, that am not going to discuss.
I actually know that one. at least a couple of give aways that its not a GTO 66-67 era . the XLR vin is stamped on top of the frame under the rear top storage area. you will not get to it with out major damage to the body. The cowl vin and door vin and as stated all the panels have a vin number attached . unless its been wrecked and numbers do not match I wonder why they are looking for the chassis vin

Hello,

I am the owner of a 2004 Cadillac XLR living in France.
During the French technical control, my XLR was refused because we did not find the VIN number which must be cold stamped on the chassis.
Can someone tell me where is the cold stamped VIN number

Thanks for your help

Bonjour cousin.

There is a serial number on the frame as to make sure that the car remains with its body, as some money maker in the past were trying to fool the consumers.

I purchased in 1985 an entire frame with its front and rear suspension, and before to put my car project on the road, it had to be inspected by the local police inspector in order to verify that the chassis was not a hot one.

The stamped serial is on the RH side frame section, just when the rail start to go upward, is this like that for all products, it is possible, as the car network usually works together in order to make things easier for the verifications.

Hope that you can find it, as the police could not, I had to call them back and giving them the stamp number and then only I was able to get the plates on and finally the OK to put it on the road, after a new serial plate of the artisanal car was installed by the government inspector.

Bonne chance .

IAN :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry