Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR shift cable

Bob M

My XLR/V(s)
Crimson Pearl - 2004 XLR
I have a brand new shift cable for sale. I purchased it because I read that they were hard to get. I think I paid $58.00 +freight to get it. If you have any interest, send me a note.

Last edited:
Still have it
I have a brand new shift cable for sale. I purchased it because I read that they were hard to get. I think I paid $58.00 +freight to get it. If you have any interest, send me a note.
You still have it?

99% of the shift cables can be repaired. Just be smart, buy the bushing repsir kit and keep it in the car. If you ever need it you have it. If you have it any transmission shop or regular repair shop can install it and you are good to go. Showing so much interest has the forum trolls listing them on ebay for 5-600$. The ones they sell are just old cables with new bushings . j and j will start selling them for lots less after the first of the year.

My shifter always worked but seemed a little loose shifting back into reverse from drive. After reading about all the problems with the bushings I thought I better inspect it to be safe. Good thing I did because the bushing at the transmission end was gone. I used the Dorman 14055 kit, the clear bushing, not the white one, maybe that one is for the other end. It's shifting great now so I guess that was the right bushing.

good job. I use the dorman 14797. Not sure the one you picked has the larger washer side. I Highly recommend everyone buy either this one or the one sold by bushingfix for the xlr. The only problem is bushingfix has been sending the wrong ones to a lot of people who dont find out until they need it that it does not fit..whichever one you get put it in the glove box and if you ever break down, you can find someone who can install it if you cannot yourself. Ill post a photo and what to look for to make sure you have the correct one.

Thats good advice Mickeytee, having these bushings in the glove box is cheap insurance, I'll pick up the 14797. The rear one is easy to inspect and put your hands on, so I strongly recommend doing that as well. The front one looks a little more involved.

Hey

OK, so what is the part number for the front bushing?? I already did the rear one.
Bill

Sorry Bill, I got nothing. I would have inspected it, but I believe it requires removal of part of the exhaust system and the tunnel plate. Since mine is shifting great now I thought it best to leave well enough alone. I do have an assortment of bushings just in case. Dorman 14055, 14041 and 14797.

Front takes same bushing as the rear. but a warning. The front is in a very tight place and much care is needed to not bend the actual cable. I find it easy to just remove the shifter assembly so you have room to get to the cable and snap in the new bushing

Front takes same bushing as the rear. but a warning. The front is in a very tight place and much care is needed to not bend the actual cable. I find it easy to just remove the shifter assembly so you have room to get to the cable and snap in the new bushing
I tried that and ended up buying a new cable from you! Ha,HA! btw I will be picking up the old cable from Danny and send it to you if you still need it.

You are correct. It csn be done but takes some very gentle handeling. Plus the bushingfix uses a press that takrs to much room. The one i listed snaps on
easier. Ive got a kid in the neighborhood that wants to do some videos so i think ill make some

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom