Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

AppRadio 4

AL_Jazz

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'05 XLR Xenon Blue
Some of you commented on my introductory post where I stated I intended to install an aftermarket stereo. I am happy to report I have completed the AppRadio 4 install and it looks good, but more importantly sounds incredible. It is full touchscreen with Apple CarPlay. I can easily place and receive handsfree phone calls, send and receive text messages, use navigation, and listen to my Pandora stations. One of the reasons I purchased this specific unit, is the ability to integrate DashCommand onto the screen via bluetooth ODBii transmitter. While I have gotten the scanner to work and am able to monitor the performance and engine metrics on my phone, I have yet to discover how to get it to display on the AppRadio. I will spend some additional time with it this weekend. I am enjoying the Siri integration and feel like I have updated this wonderful car to the conveniences of a modern voice controlled system available on most any new car.

As a side note, I retained all my steering wheel controls functionality and it does not affect the ability for the adaptive cruise control nor On-Star to function as intended. There does not appear to be any adverse effects of this installation, and the acoustics sound amazing. One should note, while the AppRadio is only $400, by the time one purchases the installation kits, CAN Bus modules, and harnesses, it is a little over $600 worth of gear and several hours of time to install...but TOTALLY worth it.

FullSizeRender (12).jpgFullSizeRender (13).jpgFullSizeRender (14).jpg

Looks like it's a factory unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you list all the parts and adapters your bought by part number?

It sounds like you found a great replacement radio.

Some of you commented on my introductory post where I stated I intended to install an aftermarket stereo. I am happy to report I have completed the AppRadio 4 install and it looks good, but more importantly sounds incredible. It is full touchscreen with Apple CarPlay. I can easily place and receive handsfree phone calls, send and receive text messages, use navigation, and listen to my Pandora stations. One of the reasons I purchased this specific unit, is the ability to integrate DashCommand onto the screen via bluetooth ODBii transmitter. While I have gotten the scanner to work and am able to monitor the performance and engine metrics on my phone, I have yet to discover how to get it to display on the AppRadio. I will spend some additional time with it this weekend. I am enjoying the Siri integration and feel like I have updated this wonderful car to the conveniences of a modern voice controlled system available on most any new car.

As a side note, I retained all my steering wheel controls functionality and it does not affect the ability for the adaptive cruise control nor On-Star to function as intended. There does not appear to be any adverse effects of this installation, and the acoustics sound amazing. One should note, while the AppRadio is only $400, by the time one purchases the installation kits, CAN Bus modules, and harnesses, it is a little over $600 worth of gear and several hours of time to install...but TOTALLY worth it.

View attachment 5450View attachment 5451View attachment 5452

Does the HUD still work? What is displayed where the OEM head unit info was displayed? Does XM still have all it's functions?

View attachment 5450View attachment 5451View attachment 5452
Looks great. Not being a techy, I assume you still have the following:
CD Player
DVD Player
AM/FM Radio

I am out of town this weekend, but will try to answer the questions that I can from memory. I will list all the part numbers of the modules when I get back home.

First off, I will have to say I have learned a few more things about the AppRadio since I've been using it over the past few days. Some positive and some negative. I love the hands free phone integration for texting and placing calls while driving. However the switching from CarPlay to AppRadio mod requires changing from USB to Bluetooth because Apple is being proprietary Apple. I will write up a full review when I get back and have a real keyboard vs my phone.

As far as the HUD, there is nothing in the display except MPH, Adaptive Cruise details, and blinker display. This XLR already had an aftermarket Pioneer double-din installed so I am not sure what is missing. Likewise with the XM. The new Radio has that functionality built in, so not something to integrate with the vehicle systems.

The CD/DVD is a different story. The new AppRadio 4 does not have a drive of any sort. However, it has an HDMI input which is awesome for smartphones because you now have access to any content on ones phone from YouTube and NetFlix to Plex. It also has a reverse camera input which I will be adding as soon as I find a rear camera I like.

Like I said, I will write up an extensive review later when I get back home, but for now, looks like we are no longer stuck with the dated factory system. :cool:

I'm looking forward to it also, I was thinking about something like this a couple of years ago but couldn't find anything completely compatible like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screenshot (61).png.jpg
I'm interested too. Are you needing to plug the phone in? I appreciate A2DP and automatic muting for voice directions and calls, all wireless. I do also like having CDs for a fall back, but not that much. Is it using the OEM amp? If not how did it interface with the 1ohm Bose speakers, or did you replace all of them too? Can you make calls at speed with the top down?

So many questions :) Waiting for the review.

Ok, still out of town (took GF to see Cats in Atl tonight), but I can answer a few more questions via phone keyboard.

1. Using the correct modules from Scoshe or PAC you retain steering wheel controls, factory Bose speakers and amp. This car already had PAC modules integrated but I bought the Scoshe before I knew what the previous owner had used. I will provide model numbers to both.

2. Apparently all I am missing on the HUD are the radio functions, because I have seen all the others

3. The AppRadio part functions via Bluetooth flawlessly, but if you want to use Apple CarPlay you must hook up via USB. I will explain more in the review.

4. As far as at speed voice calls...I have not tried it, but I would doubt it. My mic is located just below the visor, and seems to work great with the top up and top down sitting in traffic. I have not tried at speed, although Siri sent a few texts for me at speed with the top down...so at least she can understand me.

Once I get home tomorrow I will take better pictures and play around with it more for the review.

Ok, still out of town (took GF to see Cats in Atl tonight), but I can answer a few more questions via phone keyboard.

1. Using the correct modules from Scoshe or PAC you retain steering wheel controls, factory Bose speakers and amp. This car already had PAC modules integrated but I bought the Scoshe before I knew what the previous owner had used. I will provide model numbers to both.

2. Apparently all I am missing on the HUD are the radio functions, because I have seen all the others

3. The AppRadio part functions via Bluetooth flawlessly, but if you want to use Apple CarPlay you must hook up via USB. I will explain more in the review.

4. As far as at speed voice calls...I have not tried it, but I would doubt it. My mic is located just below the visor, and seems to work great with the top up and top down sitting in traffic. I have not tried at speed, although Siri sent a few texts for me at speed with the top down...so at least she can understand me.

Once I get home tomorrow I will take better pictures and play around with it more for the review.

This… changes… everything.

Any news?

Ok...finally home and have a few minutes to write down my initial thoughts.

First a few pics of the final install with the new dash:

View attachment 5484View attachment 5485View attachment 5486

Now for the disclaimer. The below pics of the module that currently function flawlessly integrated into this XLR were not installed by me. The original install was poorly executed, but it was working so I did not redo it. These are the ones installed by the previous owner so I do not have any instructions on the settings and integration programming other than they work. However, I do have the additional Scoshe module information for the units I purchased prior to driving the car...with the expectations of replacing what was currently in the dash. I prefer Scoshe as a brand to PAC, but that is a personal preference after having performed more installs than I care to remember.

View attachment 5488View attachment 5489FullSizeRender (21).jpg

Now for my thoughts on the AppRadio 4.

The integration with Siri makes the other minor frustrations tolerable. If you use an iPhone, you know what I mean. With the handsfree ability to send txts, place and receive calls, and navigate, I am quite productive on my daily commute to and from the office. Sound quality is great and the party on the other end has no issues hearing me as long as the top is up or I am going slow with the top down.

Connectivity to the phone:

There are three very distinct ways to connect a phone to the AppRadio...which leads to the minor frustrations mentioned above.

1. Bluetooth wirelessly:
Pros: Connects immediately upon power-on and I can use any source on my phone to play audio. This includes Pandora, voicemail, and audio books in my iTunes.
Cons: no video, no CarPlay and no charging of my phone

2. USB cable into the USB into the rear of the AppRadio:
I keep this cable in the center console and it is not inconvenient to plug-in
Pros: Charges my phone, CarPlay is fully functional immediately upon connection, and integrates Siri into my vehicle
Cons: Kinda clunky leaving the CarPlay app and starting Pandora through the AppRadio interface and then coming back into CarPlay for navigation etc. Limited number of Apple only apps.

3: HDMI cable into the HDMI into the rear of the AppRadio
I also keep this cable in the center console and it is not too inconvenient to plug-in, but more difficult than the usb because of the HDMI adapter
Pros: YouTube, Videos, Plex, and screen Mirroring for applications like DashCommand. Nice integration into the other AppRadio features
Cons: No Siri

Conclusions:

If you do not have an iPhone, this radio is a great extension of your android smart phone. If you do have an iPhone, having Siri in your car is AWESOME. If you don't have a smart phone, well, this radio sux. The sound quality through the Bose is really great, the steering wheel controls function flawlessly, and it does not impact the Cruise Control or other XLR features. I am quite happy with this purchase and the install...but I am a techie too. :cool:

Looks like most of the attachments imploded…

Is the basic theory that we need a module for Class2, GMLAN, and the steering wheel controls?

When you mentioned Scosche I did some research, it looks like GM28SR | by Scosche might be useful for this, but I'm not sure if you need both the GM Stereo Replacement Interface | GM Radio Harness Diagram | GM28-CL2 | by Scosche and GM Class-2 Stereo Replacement Interface | GM Radio Harness Diagram | 2003-2012 | GM28-29H | by Scosche to go with it? Presumably an antenna adaptor as well, like every other aftermarket radio setup.

But that said, if the PAC modules are proven to work, I'd be willing to give those a shot.

Looks like most of the attachments imploded…

Is the basic theory that we need a module for Class2, GMLAN, and the steering wheel controls?

When you mentioned Scosche I did some research, it looks like GM28SR | by Scosche might be useful for this, but I'm not sure if you need both the GM Stereo Replacement Interface | GM Radio Harness Diagram | GM28-CL2 | by Scosche and GM Class-2 Stereo Replacement Interface | GM Radio Harness Diagram | 2003-2012 | GM28-29H | by Scosche to go with it? Presumably an antenna adaptor as well, like every other aftermarket radio setup.

But that said, if the PAC modules are proven to work, I'd be willing to give those a shot.

The Scoshe kits are:

GM28-CL2
0255GM28SR

and yes, an antenna adapter and radio install kit for the brackets.

The Scoshe kits are:

GM28-CL2
0255GM28SR

and yes, an antenna adapter and radio install kit for the brackets.

Ok, cool. Does it look like a use case for a universal double-DIN chassis or do you expect any custom stuff needs to be done?

Ok, cool. Does it look like a use case for a universal double-DIN chassis or do you expect any custom stuff needs to be done?

The install used the factory mounting cage and the filler plates from the double-din install kit. I will take some pics of the sides the next time I open it up. Within the next couple days I am going to replace the HDMI cable I had on hand with a smaller diameter more flexible HDMI that is easier to work with in the center console.

All-in-all I am quite pleased with it.

The install used the factory mounting cage and the filler plates from the double-din install kit. I will take some pics of the sides the next time I open it up. Within the next couple days I am going to replace the HDMI cable I had on hand with a smaller diameter more flexible HDMI that is easier to work with in the center console.

All-in-all I am quite pleased with it.

Great! do you have the model #s for the other PAC modules, out of curiosity?

Great! do you have the model #s for the other PAC modules, out of curiosity?

These are the ones currently in the XLR, but since I did not install them, I cannot speculate on the configurations. With the Scoshe modules I have a direct dealer help line.

GMOS-06 GMOS-06 [GMOS-06] Axxess Integrate, Comprehensive Interface Products
PAC TR7 Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
PAC SWI-RC Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom