Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

AppRadio 4

Great, thanks. I'll probably go with the scosche units anyway but curiosity is a weakness of mine :)

Great, thanks. I'll probably go with the scosche units anyway but curiosity is a weakness of mine :)

Me too....hence me making so many mods and I have only had it a couple weeks :cool:

Do you by any chance have a part number for the mounting install kit that you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question

I need someone to clarify something for me. I know that the OP purchased a XLR in which the original Navigation/Entertainment System had already been changed and he is trying to improve that.

So here's the question. If you change the factory installed system, you lose the AM radio, FM radio, Weather radio, XM Satellite radio, six-disc CD changer, Navigation System, DVD Player and Heads-up display of entertainment system info.

What do you get in return?

I need someone to clarify something for me. I know that the OP purchased a XLR in which the original Navigation/Entertainment System had already been changed and he is trying to improve that.

So here's the question. If you change the factory installed system, you lose the AM radio, FM radio, Weather radio, XM Satellite radio, six-disc CD changer, Navigation System, DVD Player and Heads-up display of entertainment system info.

What do you get in return?

I think you misunderstand completely. I don't have one but have been following the thread. The only thing lost is the display of the radio functions in the HUD, the rest is still there, the CD and DVD. Built in Bluetooth, phone integration software and the ability to add a rear view camera are gained. Maybe WX is lost but weather functions, including display of radar images, should be available thru the phone functions.

I think you misunderstand completely. I don't have one but have been following the thread. The only thing lost is the display of the radio functions in the HUD, the rest is still there, the CD and DVD. Built in Bluetooth, phone integration software and the ability to add a rear view camera are gained. Maybe WX is lost but weather functions, including display of radar images, should be available thru the phone functions.

I'm not sure that it's been made clear.

Perhaps the OP could clarify this for us?

The addition of Bluetooth and phone integration software doesn't mean much to me, but then, I don't even use Bluetooth or a "smart" phone.

The addition of Bluetooth and phone integration software doesn't mean much to me, but then, I don't even use Bluetooth or a "smart" phone.

It's all been pretty clear to me, but then I'm a high tech type person.

Since your use of technology is so low swapping wouldn't be of any value to you. Perhaps having a decent navigation system would be attractive?

If you do not use bluetooth or a smartphone, there is really no benefit to you changing your headunit. :dunno:

On the other hand, I use my 1-2hr commute each day to be productive and smartphone integration is essential for to that purpose. In addition to voice texting and phone calls, I have rear camera input, HDMI input, updated navigation with real-time traffic and re-routing, weather, Pandora, DashCommand ODBii diagnostics and data, plus video including YouTube, Netflix, etc. The AppRadio 4 does not have a CD/DVD player of any kind nor does it have XM receiver, however, I personally use Pandora or the XM app for my iPhone. One can select any double-din radio one wants to install with the features that each specifically wants/needs...as long as it has a wired remote input to retain the steering wheel controls. Me, I wanted/needed an extension of my iPhone with CarPlay so I am able to be productive during my commute. That is just my personal need/want.

As far as loss of functionality, the only loss is radio info displaying within the HUD. The HUD, adaptive cruise control, steering wheel controls, and the Bose sound system still all function as originally intended. I just now have full voice integration with a lot more options and features than were available back in 2005.

So here's the question. If you change the factory installed system, you lose the AM radio, FM radio, Weather radio, XM Satellite radio, six-disc CD changer, Navigation System, DVD Player and Heads-up display of entertainment system info. What do you get in return?

I will try to explain my thoughts:

Lose the AM radio - any aftermarket has AM Radio...if anyone actually uses it
Lose the FM radio - gainsan FM HD tuner for most modern digital radio stations
Lose NOAA Weather radio channels - Gains real-time weather info including radar and updated road closings due to weather
Lose XM Satellite radio - gains internet radio, Pandora, audio books, XM app, and bluetooth audio
Lose six-disc CD changer - location for smartphone below the new headunit vs a CD slot
Lose 2005 Navigation System - gain updated maps, satellite view, updated addresses, search for location via internet by voice, real-time traffic reporting to avoid congestion and accidents
Lose DVD Player - gain Netflix, You-Tube, backup camera, and any source with an HDMI output
Lose Heads-up display of entertainment system info - yeah, got nothing on this one...wish it would integrate

I will try to explain my thoughts:

Lose the AM radio - any aftermarket has AM Radio...if anyone actually uses it
Lose the FM radio - gainsan FM HD tuner for most modern digital radio stations
Lose NOAA Weather radio channels - Gains real-time weather info including radar and updated road closings due to weather
Lose XM Satellite radio - gains internet radio, Pandora, audio books, XM app, and bluetooth audio
Lose six-disc CD changer - location for smartphone below the new headunit vs a CD slot
Lose 2005 Navigation System - gain updated maps, satellite view, updated addresses, search for location via internet by voice, real-time traffic reporting to avoid congestion and accidents
Lose DVD Player - gain Netflix, You-Tube, backup camera, and any source with an HDMI output
Lose Heads-up display of entertainment system info - yeah, got nothing on this one...wish it would integrate

Thanks for clarifying that for those not familiar with your new system.

The time I spend in my XLR is strictly "pleasure" driving, so I appreciate your explanation!

Last edited:
...and what a pleasure it is to drive! :D

I know that you will love yours as all of us do.

I drive a Chevy Tahoe as my daily driver. It's my business vehicle for my Engineering Company.

My XLR along with my GTO and El Camino are my "fun" cars.

Hope you get everything working like you want it on your XLR! :thumbsup

Had a thought… does the "voice command" button on the steering wheel work to activate Siri?

For those of you wondering, below is a quick shot from this morning on our way to Cars and Coffee with the ODBCii connected and running the DashCOmmand on the AppRadio. I think it's totally cool :D

IMG_6132.jpg

Had a thought… does the "voice command" button on the steering wheel work to activate Siri?

...it does not currently, but I think I could program the steering wheel controls to perform that function. I currently have it as a quick mute button so I don't have to turn the volume up and down constantly.

...it does not currently, but I think I could program the steering wheel controls to perform that function. I currently have it as a quick mute button so I don't have to turn the volume up and down constantly.

Oh very cool.

Also, what sort of double din/dash kit do you recommend to get the correct trim plates?

Im totally loving this I've hated the old look of the original, more information please.... Where you buy it from, approximate cost, how much hook up trouble, what all does it do and what works with XLR buttons and gadgets already installed and does it have AUX plugs and Bluetooth capabilities? Sorry for so many questions but I'm excited that there is change out unit available. What about CD -DVD - XM does that work with this change out? Thanks Dan

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Im totally loving this I've hated the old look of the original, more information please.... Where you buy it from, approximate cost, how much hook up trouble, what all does it do and what works with XLR buttons and gadgets already installed and does it have AUX plugs and Bluetooth capabilities? Sorry for so many questions but I'm excited that there is change out unit available. What about CD -DVD - XM does that work with this change out?

Dan, a lot of questions are answered in detail in the thread above, but I will try to reply to the specific questions you ask:

Approx Cost: Well, the double din radio is totally your choice. I chose the Pioneer AppRadio 4, but if you want off-line navigation, XM, CD, and DVD I would suggest the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX which is one of the most awesome radios on the market. You get everything I have in my AppRadio (Siri, Pandora, multi-touch screen etc) plus a larger screen, off-line navigation, XM, CD, and DVD. You will pay around $900 for that one compared to $450 for mine. However, I will probably be changing mine out this fall to the AVIC-8100NEX. I didn't want to drop that kinda money into a radio if I did not like how it integrated with the XLR. Now that I love how it integrates and functions, I will be stepping up to the big brother :cool: Plan to spend another couple hundred on the integration modules. The specific ones needed are listed by part number in the thread above.

Does it work with buttons and gadgets: Buttons yes, gadgets no. The aftermarket radios have their own XM tuners and antennas and provide no ability to export radio details to the HUD.

AUX plugs and Bluetooth: Yes, most any good aftermarket has all the above. Multiple AUX inputs for audio and video and complete bluetooth integration for music and communications

Installation: Unless you have experience installing aftermarket radios, I would suggest a professional install. There are multiple modules (small computer interfaces) that will have to be installed and programmed to enable the compatibility with the steering wheel controls, On-Star, Bose, and the CAM-Bus.

You can perform the install yourself, and save some coin, but it will take most of an afternoon and more than likely a couple tries to get everything working the way you want. I would suggest soldering and shrink wrapping all the connections from the harness adapter to the main radio plug. The best way to perform that operation is on your work bench and away from the vehicle. Use the color code chart in the radio install booklet and on the back of the module package to make the correct connections (ie rt frnt spkr+ on harness connector soldered to rt frnt spkr+ on radio plug). Some might also suggest installing a parking-brake by-pass when making all the connections, but since it is dangerous and un-lawful to watch videos while driving, I would not suggest such an activity...however it is easiest to install when making all these connections. Don't worry about leaving too much length between the connector and the radio plug. In most installs one has to trim out as much extra wiring as possible because there simply is not room behind the radio for the bundled wire. However, in the XLR once the factory unit is removed, there is not only plenty of room, there is room for the modules and connections to tuck in behind other recesses in the dash and really cleans up the install. With the extra length, it makes it easier to remove the radio basket and swing it into the passenger floorboard without disconnecting everything (main wiring harness, wired remote, mic, GPS antenna, Aux in, rear camera in, HDMI, and USB) when making a change or adding another input. I ran my Aux, HDMI, and USB down under the shifter and exited into the center console beside the 12V accessory plug. Remove the 12V plug and use a dremmel to make a notch for the extra cables to come through. This keeps one from having to make a hole large enough for an HDMI plug to fit through. Simply pull it through the 12V plug hole and then push the cables over into the previously created notch and re-install the 12V plug.

The radio installs using the factory basket and the only install kit needed are filler panels for the left and right sides. There are several that should work depending on the look you want to achieve. Mine was installed using a Metra Cadillac kit. I am planning on removing it and custom making a plexiglass surround painted black from the rear. I am also fab'ing up an iPhone mount to replace the factory CD slot. Currently I covered the rear of the CD slot with a piece of textured black plastic so one cannot see through it.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.

Dan, a lot of questions are answered in detail in the thread above, but I will try to reply to the specific questions you ask:

Approx Cost: Well, the double din radio is totally your choice. I chose the Pioneer AppRadio 4, but if you want off-line navigation, XM, CD, and DVD I would suggest the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX which is one of the most awesome radios on the market. You get everything I have in my AppRadio (Siri, Pandora, multi-touch screen etc) plus a larger screen, off-line navigation, XM, CD, and DVD. You will pay around $900 for that one compared to $450 for mine. However, I will probably be changing mine out this fall to the AVIC-8100NEX. I didn't want to drop that kinda money into a radio if I did not like how it integrated with the XLR. Now that I love how it integrates and functions, I will be stepping up to the big brother :cool: Plan to spend another couple hundred on the integration modules. The specific ones needed are listed by part number in the thread above.

Does it work with buttons and gadgets: Buttons yes, gadgets no. The aftermarket radios have their own XM tuners and antennas and provide no ability to export radio details to the HUD.

AUX plugs and Bluetooth: Yes, most any good aftermarket has all the above. Multiple AUX inputs for audio and video and complete bluetooth integration for music and communications

Installation: Unless you have experience installing aftermarket radios, I would suggest a professional install. There are multiple modules (small computer interfaces) that will have to be installed and programmed to enable the compatibility with the steering wheel controls, On-Star, Bose, and the CAM-Bus.

You can perform the install yourself, and save some coin, but it will take most of an afternoon and more than likely a couple tries to get everything working the way you want. I would suggest soldering and shrink wrapping all the connections from the harness adapter to the main radio plug. The best way to perform that operation is on your work bench and away from the vehicle. Use the color code chart in the radio install booklet and on the back of the module package to make the correct connections (ie rt frnt spkr+ on harness connector soldered to rt frnt spkr+ on radio plug). Some might also suggest installing a parking-brake by-pass when making all the connections, but since it is dangerous and un-lawful to watch videos while driving, I would not suggest such an activity...however it is easiest to install when making all these connections. Don't worry about leaving too much length between the connector and the radio plug. In most installs one has to trim out as much extra wiring as possible because there simply is not room behind the radio for the bundled wire. However, in the XLR once the factory unit is removed, there is not only plenty of room, there is room for the modules and connections to tuck in behind other recesses in the dash and really cleans up the install. With the extra length, it makes it easier to remove the radio basket and swing it into the passenger floorboard without disconnecting everything (main wiring harness, wired remote, mic, GPS antenna, Aux in, rear camera in, HDMI, and USB) when making a change or adding another input. I ran my Aux, HDMI, and USB down under the shifter and exited into the center console beside the 12V accessory plug. Remove the 12V plug and use a dremmel to make a notch for the extra cables to come through. This keeps one from having to make a hole large enough for an HDMI plug to fit through. Simply pull it through the 12V plug hole and then push the cables over into the previously created notch and re-install the 12V plug.

The radio installs using the factory basket and the only install kit needed are filler panels for the left and right sides. There are several that should work depending on the look you want to achieve. Mine was installed using a Metra Cadillac kit. I am planning on removing it and custom making a plexiglass surround painted black from the rear. I am also fab'ing up an iPhone mount to replace the factory CD slot. Currently I covered the rear of the CD slot with a piece of textured black plastic so one cannot see through it.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.
Thx for all the information. If you are considering an upgrade later please give me first crack if you're selling this unit, I maybe interested in the unit you have in now. Another question I have is this going to effect anything if I would want to put the original unit back in, in the future? Got to go online and see what's all on your unit you have now. Thx again!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
...did anyone read the new feature article on the inclusion of Apple CarPlay 1n the new Cadillacs... Guess it's not just me that likes it :D

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom