Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Wind Buffeting...good grief!!!

oyealiz

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Blue Steel
I've had convertible Corvettes forever and, I'll admit, laughed at folks (especially in Porsches as it seems they are prone to do this :D) with tops down and windows up!

However, the wind buffeting in the XLR is making me cry uncle! :lol: I've not put the windows up, and don't want to do so, so I'm thinking perhaps a windscreen is the answer.

What do yall have? Pix, please!

TIA

I've had convertible Corvettes forever and, I'll admit, laughed at folks (especially in Porsches as it seems they are prone to do this :D) with tops down and windows up!

However, the wind buffeting in the XLR is making me cry uncle! :lol: I've not put the windows up, and don't want to do so, so I'm thinking perhaps a windscreen is the answer.

What do yall have? Pix, please!

TIA

PLEASE BE CAREFUL - with top down/windows up and heater on, you're gonna look like a yankee in Florida in the winter!!:lol:

PLEASE BE CAREFUL - with top down/windows up and heater on, you're gonna look like a yankee in Florida in the winter!!:lol:

Noooooo! :lol:

I will do top and windows down to about 42*. That's my limit. :)

I just don't like getting beat up. Having a windscreen WILL help that, right?!

Noooooo! :lol:

I will do top and windows down to about 42*. That's my limit. :)

I just don't like getting beat up. Having a windscreen WILL help that, right?!

Can't offer any help with this. I figure if you don't want the wind to blow, like in a convertible, maybe you need a T-Top!!;)

Can't offer any help with this. I figure if you don't want the wind to blow, like in a convertible, maybe you need a T-Top!!;)

I'm a convertible girl from way back. Always have one, and run top (and windows) down a majority of the time if I'm driving those cars. The wind just hits me A LOT different in the XLR, for whatever reason, so I'm looking for an option to not get buffeted. :)

Heck, I don't even know if a windscreen will work. That's what I'm hoping to learn from those who have them.

The windscreen will greatly help, but it creates glare when looking in rear view mirror. But it is easy enough to get used to..

Wind Blockers - my experiences

Here is a repost I did about a year and a half ago:

I have tried both the Windblox and the Windrestrictor. Here is a summary of my experiences with both:

Windblox - Great deal for the money, easily removable (and can be stored in optional storage bag they offer), but the fitment of the straps, because of the slot locations, was way off. I returned the first unit, with markups on the blue plastic protective sheet, and asked if he could modify the design to allow a better attachement (also had the Cadillac logo engraved). I also mentioned that the Windblox was lower than the roll bar height, and that there was 1.5" clearance above the roll bar and suggested the patern be modified to at least the roll bar height, plus a little extra for some wind blockage. Tim sent a second prototype, with modified slot locations and an increase in height - he took my measurement of 1.5" clearance and used it all - it actually touched the top at the outer corners. I marked up this one and sent it back to him for one more final iteration (talking some off the corners and another iteration on the strap slot locations. My goal was to help him get a design that would be a better fit, more secure and best wind block performance. I did not hear back for 6 weeks and finally cancelled the sale. Tim may have gotten the final design upgrades finished and, if he did, it is the best deal out there - especially if you want to remove it for top up season. ***Update September 2015 - My Friend Dennis has the latest design version of this and the strap locations have been fixed, but the clearance issues in the upper corners may still be an issue - it's real close to touching roof ***

Windrestrictor
- Decided to spend the big bucks and go for the lighted version, with the Cadi XLR logo ("does your car return the favor?"). When I received this kit, if found the color of the clamps and the base (which hold the LED lights), did not match the brown color of the roll bars or the deck lid - they were two different colors - the clamps were grey and the base was a medium/light brown (not quite the chocolate color of the deck). I initially thought they sent me the wrong color kit, but they insisted that this was what they sell for the Tan interiors. Rather than return the kit for a refund, I decided to modify the colors myself with spray paint (yes, you can paint the leather base). The color I used was Rust-oleum Fine Textured Bronze (#7226). It is a perfect match. ***Update 2015 - I now have my 2009 V and had different custom wording "Cadillac - XLR-V - Supercharged", and the black trim is a good match. Same deal on the tilt, mounted the LED base about 3/8" forward to eliminate the glare. ***

I also did the "tilt" with a couple of 1/4" felt spacers at the bottom of the roll bar (stuck to the Plexiglas), and moved the base slightly forward before installing it with the double sided sticky tape. This too solved the reflection driving (day or night).

And, because I could not help making it better/custom, I installed a relay in the system that turns off the brake light initiated glow when the reverse lights are on, so I could see out the rear view mirror better at night when backing up. I also installed a line that lights up the LED's when the courtesy lights are activated - this was a little trickier and required a relay and diodes to isolate the circuits, and because the dimming effect on the courtesy lights is caused by increasing the voltage on one side of the lights (they are 12V hot on both sides of the bulb when off).

Bottom line - I am happy with the Windrestrictor, as modified, to get the best system out there.

Finally, from a wind block effect, I would say that these systems seem to block between 50% and 70% of the wind, with the windows up (depending on speed). They aren't too effective with the windows down as they create their own little vortices with the air flow.

Hope this input helps you decide which way to go, and provides some insight on the options you have for a wind blocker that was probably requested by your wife or girlfriend - that was my incentive. :lol:

PAK XLR8

The windscreen will greatly help, but it creates glare when looking in rear view mirror. But it is easy enough to get used to..

Having t tops out actually creates a wind funnel in car like a tornado! In my c5 Corvette coupe, I had something that actually lifted the rear lid of the coupe to let the air out the back so that didn't happen. :)

Hope this input helps you decide which way to go, and provides some insight on the options you have for a wind blocker that was probably requested by your wife or girlfriend - that was my incentive. :lol:

PAK XLR8

Actually, I'm the girlfriend, and it's my car. :lol:

What do you think about the windscreen made by Cadillac? (ie The one that is mesh, not Plexiglas.)

I have the Windrestrictor and it works great. In my opinion the manufacturers should make it so if the top is down the windows won't go up. That is so tacky. If you have to have the windows up then you shouldn't have the top down. Put on a sweatshirt.

Plexiglas vs mesh

Here are some things I have picked up on the mesh design - for XLR's and other cars:

- Expensive (and hard to find for XLR)
- Sagging can happen - tradeoff between ease of install
- Rearview mirror visibility can be an issue (it can also be an issue if you get a big logo on Plexiglas

I would imagine that the effectiveness of either would be about the same - they cover the same area.

And no offense on the wife/girlfriend thing - glad it's your car! Maybe it's a hair thing...not a gender issue. My longer hair gets pretty messy with the top down, but I'm satisfied to wear a visor or hat. :silly:
Actually, I'm the girlfriend, and it's my car. :lol:

What do you think about the windscreen made by Cadillac? (ie The one that is mesh, not Plexiglas.)

I have the Windrestrictor and it works great. In my opinion the manufacturers should make it so if the top is down the windows won't go up. That is so tacky. If you have to have the windows up then you shouldn't have the top down. Put on a sweatshirt.

Well, we live out in the country, so the first 1/2 hour of every drive back to civilization is being done at about 70 MPH. For that reason, we do the top down windows up, especially if there is a strong cross wind. However, the second we hit the city, the windows go back down, as they should be. I've had a few convertibles over the years (74 Caprice Classic, 03 Boxster S, 07 Solstice GXP) and we've had the same issues with highway speeds buffeting us too much. We did add a windrestrictor to the Solstice, and it still wasn't tolerable on the highway at 70 with the windows down. It was like your big brother was sitting next to you slapping the back of your head every 2 or 3 seconds....after a while it gets pretty annoying. In general though, I think top down = windows down until about 60mph.

And no offense on the wife/girlfriend thing - glad it's your car! Maybe it's a hair thing...not a gender issue. My longer hair gets pretty messy with the top down, but I'm satisfied to wear a visor or hat. :silly:

I just do a ponytail or a cap. :)

Well, we live out in the country, so the first 1/2 hour of every drive back to civilization is being done at about 70 MPH. For that reason, we do the top down windows up, especially if there is a strong cross wind. However, the second we hit the city, the windows go back down, as they should be. I've had a few convertibles over the years (74 Caprice Classic, 03 Boxster S, 07 Solstice GXP) and we've had the same issues with highway speeds buffeting us too much. We did add a windrestrictor to the Solstice, and it still wasn't tolerable on the highway at 70 with the windows down. It was like your big brother was sitting next to you slapping the back of your head every 2 or 3 seconds....after a while it gets pretty annoying. In general though, I think top down = windows down until about 60mph.

I do top down and windows down no matter the speed. :)

Supposedly you can tighten up the Cadillac sold mesh one from inside the plastic attachments.

Here are some things I have picked up on the mesh design - for XLR's and other cars:

- Expensive (and hard to find for XLR)
- Sagging can happen - tradeoff between ease of install
- Rearview mirror visibility can be an issue (it can also be an issue if you get a big logo on Plexiglas

I would imagine that the effectiveness of either would be about the same - they cover the same area.

As PAK XLR8 mentioned, I have the Windblox ?? I think. Anyway my girlfriend gave it to me for my birthday after having her hair blowing everywhere and most of the time right for the lip gloss. She has a Chrysler 200 retractible top and drives it with the top down 99% of the time, ( different story with that car as there is very little wind blowing around the front seat with the top down ). So naturally I don't even have to ask if she wants top up or top down. With her long hair she still has to wear a hat and usually holds her hair if we are on a short drive, long drives she ties it up in a pony tail. Something I do like about my windblox is the height above the rollbars, but I'm not sure it is that effective. The corners were tight and I shaved them down and polished them to a glossy surface finish. I got caught in a sprinkle recently and had water spots so I easily removed it for the first time in 2 1/2 months to clean it. I noticed some very small cracks in the openings for the straps on one side. It is about half the thickness of the more expensive windscreen and it does the job. I'm not sure how long it will last.

For what it's worth I passed a brand new C7 Z06 this afternoon on my way home from work. He had his T tops off and was literally getting blown every direction.

As PAK XLR8 mentioned, I have the Windblox ?? I think. Anyway my girlfriend gave it to me for my birthday after having her hair blowing everywhere and most of the time right for the lip gloss. She has a Chrysler 200 retractible top and drives it with the top down 99% of the time, ( different story with that car as there is very little wind blowing around the front seat with the top down ). So naturally I don't even have to ask if she wants top up or top down. With her long hair she still has to wear a hat and usually holds her hair if we are on a short drive, long drives she ties it up in a pony tail. Something I do like about my windblox is the height above the rollbars, but I'm not sure it is that effective. The corners were tight and I shaved them down and polished them to a glossy surface finish. I got caught in a sprinkle recently and had water spots so I easily removed it for the first time in 2 1/2 months to clean it. I noticed some very small cracks in the openings for the straps on one side. It is about half the thickness of the more expensive windscreen and it does the job. I'm not sure how long it will last.

For what it's worth I passed a brand new C7 Z06 this afternoon on my way home from work. He had his T tops off and was literally getting blown every direction.

Yes, with t tops off it's like that for sure. There is much less wind buffeting with the top down in my c7 vert, which is why I asked about options for the XLR. I located one of the GM mesh ones a guy is selling. I may try it.

Cool that you and the girlfriend both have convertibles. :)

Never thought a T-top would actually be worse on wind - learned something new!

IRONY

Does anyone else here find it ironical that there's all this discussion about too much WIND in a CONVERTIBLE?:laugh:

I am surprised how much 'wind' there is in this car too. My 67 Corvette convertible is awesome, had it for 22 years and is the first Convertible I had and just figured they would all be that great. My 92 Z28 Camaro convertible and 69 Z28 Convertible proved that. I wouldn't be surprised if there were ever tests done convertible cars the second gen Corvettes would rate to be one of the top cars for 'top down driving': it has to have one of the calmest air envelopes out there.

Anyway, that was reconfirmed today. Went to a car show with the vette this morning: kind of cool today, left home with two sweaters on but just wore one thin sweater on coming home and I was on the 'too warm' side. Half hour later we hopped into the XLR and wore a slightly thinner sweater (as I had been hot) and we were both a bit on the cold side because of the wind. Had a fabulous drive anyway! I love going topless! :D

Planning a road trip to New Hampshire this week to visit friends in the XLR, should be great! :burnout:

Does anyone else here find it ironical that there's all this discussion about too much WIND in a CONVERTIBLE?:laugh:

Even more so since I started it. :lol: I drop my top on my Vettes and ride top down more often, and for further, than anyone I know!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom