Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2009 XLR 15k miles for under $30,000 for sale in Orlando !

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V Red/Cashmere...6500 Miles
Just got an alert for a 2009 XLR for sale for a few bucks under $30,000...clean Carfax and only 15k miles at a Cadillac dealer in Florida.

Seems like a great deal, on their website and Autotrader...no pics yet.

Massey Cadillac in Orlando

I have no affiliation, and already have a 2009 V, but this seems like an amazing deal for anyone in the market

people do realize that all this "clean Carfax" is pretty misinformed. Only collision carriers and even not all of them report accidents to Carfax. So someone could run into you , pay $10,000 to repair your car and you have a "clean Carfax" car. Liability payments that get posted by insurance companies usually result in diminished value claims so they do not post repairs If this car checks out in person or third party it looks pretty nice.

people do realize that all this "clean Carfax" is pretty misinformed. Only collision carriers and even not all of them report accidents to Carfax. So someone could run into you , pay $10,000 to repair your car and you have a "clean Carfax" car. Liability payments that get posted by insurance companies usually result in diminished value claims so they do not post repairs If this car checks out in person or third party it looks pretty nice.

CARFAX gets information from various motor vehicle bureaus across the U.S. and Canada, insurance companies, auto auctions, repair and service facilities, rental companies, state inspection stations, fire departments, law enforcement agencies, and vehicle manufacturers. But that's not every single source of information. Those sources are the big ones.

My wife had a Mercedes GL a few years ago....2 "accidents" were on the Carfax, One was a guy that drifted into her at a red light, I replaced a trim piece, and a license plate frame at my own cost...no insurance involvement at all at a cost of $150, the other "accident" was a guy that turned in front of me, his mirror scraped my door, took the mark off with goo-be-gone, police report was made and it showed up on Carfax...no insurance involvement, no parts etc ... What you are saying just isn't true, Carfax picks up info from a great number of sources, and although its not foolproof, and there are errors, I have found them to be pretty accurate.

How do you think they get info on maintenance services done by dealers?, or independents, like Jiffy Lube? or passed or failed emissions tests?, all non "collision carriers".

I do agree they pick up some service records by companies that sign on with them to supply the info. I also can state for a fact that I have seen many many cars come thru the inspection station at Car Maxx that have a clean carfax and find major damage repair. I am not aware of all the service sites that are hooked up but I do know a clean Carfax is not a fact that the car has not had damage. Just give any used car manager a call and ask him what he thinks of a "clean Carfax" You findings may be different but I have never seen a Carfax that picked up a bump from a police report. There would have had to be a accident report made to an insurance company. Send me a PM with the last 7 of the VIN I will have someone in the office run that Carfax to find out how it was reported. I find that very interesting

Hey

I bought a '91 Allante. Basically saw it and was like, "what the heck is that?". Drove it. Loved it. Every thing worked. Did notice when getting tires and an alignment about 6 months later that the front driver's side wheel was 3/4 of an inch back from the correct spot. It always drove great though, and did not wear tires unusually.

Had to replace the driver's side window regulator a year after that. Under the door panel I found a red door. Further investigation and I found a red front fender (underneath). They really did a good job repairing it, It hit something hard on the right front.

Admittedly it was a great car for me. I drove it over 90 K, basically incident free other than the usual wear items.

I will never trust Car Fax. As stated here, Car Fax is only as good as the shops the car goes to.

Bill

Last edited:
I found out from the used car manager at one of my sons dealerships that some cars qualify for a buy back if a carfax does not show damage. I would have to learn more about that if I was looking to buy anything Thats sort of scary. I have 2 cars a 2013 Ferrari and a 2009 xlr-v that both show clean carfax. the 09 xlr I repaired about 4 years ago in one of my collision centers and was about 5K in damage. The ownere traded it in this time with about 15K damage and I bought it from the dealership. I repaired it and it shows clean carfax . I represent my cars with photos and full documentation as to what was done to repair them. SO I would still say Buyer beware and do your due diligence if minor boo boos with no damage get put on report as stated by the poster and yet major repairs do not always show up..

I do agree they pick up some service records by companies that sign on with them to supply the info. I also can state for a fact that I have seen many many cars come thru the inspection station at Car Maxx that have a clean carfax and find major damage repair. I am not aware of all the service sites that are hooked up but I do know a clean Carfax is not a fact that the car has not had damage. Just give any used car manager a call and ask him what he thinks of a "clean Carfax" You findings may be different but I have never seen a Carfax that picked up a bump from a police report. There would have had to be a accident report made to an insurance company. Send me a PM with the last 7 of the VIN I will have someone in the office run that Carfax to find out how it was reported. I find that very interesting

A352690

2 accidents reported, but no insurance reported on either one

Interestingly, That Mercedes GL was sold to Carmax, they don't pull Carfax, only Autocheck, and Autocheck only showed 1 of those "accidents"

when i was hired for some consulting work at Carmax , they did pull the records and printed them out for their recon dept to investigate the repairs and any issues with them. Maybe they dont sel lthe car with a crafax report. I dont know. I do know in our collision shops if i had a dollar for every time a customer was notified because of an issue with prior damage to their car and to hear them say, " I got a Carfax and the car has never been repaired before ", I could have retired a few years earlier. I still think your regular mechanic looking at the car or running it by a collision shop for a quick inspection is money well spent.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom