Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Suspension Control Module Options

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR
Hello Everyone,

I am yet another owner that has a 2005 XLR with a faulty suspension control module. I have replaced the shocks with bilsteins and simulators and love the ride! I do no have any issues except for the service ride control message on the DIC. I am assuming that this is because the module is not working so even with the simulators it still displays the message. I have no intention on spending 3000 on a used module that will essentially do nothing for me anyway besides eliminate the message on the DIC. So does anybody know a way to either trick the computer into thinking the module is working or any option at all to eliminate the message besides putting tape in front of it. (That is my current solution) I even thought about taking out the cluster and wiring in a toggle switch the the DIC power wire just so it wont constantly annoy me. Any opinions or options are welcome.

Thanks

Hey

Doesn't the "Service Ride Control " message also indicate that the vehicle speed is limited and other parameters are also affected ? Think that the tape idea is not the best way to go. Got to think about down the road and resale of the car one day.

Someone here probably has a solution Would think it may involve the Tech II and or a check out of or replacement of the simulators you bought.

Bill

Hey

Doesn't the "Service Ride Control " message also indicate that the vehicle speed is limited and other parameters are also affected ? Think that the tape idea is not the best way to go. Got to think about down the road and resale of the car one day.

Someone here probably has a solution Would think it may involve the Tech II and or a check out of or replacement of the simulators you bought.

Bill
Hey Bill,
In my case, for whatever reason, the only message is service ride control. No dash dummy light, everything works as it should as far as stabilitrak, abs, and all that other good stuff. I do have a tech 2 and have gone all through the systems and haven’t found an option to help turn that darn message off. I will probably end up just living with it even though it annoys me. I love the ride and the way the car handles with the bilstein shocks and have no plans on even considering going back to the mag ride.

Hello there. Its good to know I'm not the only one having the dreaded Service Ride Control message problem. Like you I replaced my Mag shocks for the Bilstein shocks and the simulators. Ride and handling is great, but when I first move the vehicle it normally throws the Service Ride Control Message. I normally just reset the DIC and it goes away, However the message often returns when I make a hard turn to the left reguardless of the speed. Reset switch and all is well again. I have the codes pulled and no problem is stored. If you try any fix actions please update this thread and I will do the same . Thanks Darrell

Hello there. Its good to know I'm not the only one having the dreaded Service Ride Control message problem. Like you I replaced my Mag shocks for the Bilstein shocks and the simulators. Ride and handling is great, but when I first move the vehicle it normally throws the Service Ride Control Message. I normally just reset the DIC and it goes away, However the message often returns when I make a hard turn to the left reguardless of the speed. Reset switch and all is well again. I have the codes pulled and no problem is stored. If you try any fix actions please update this thread and I will do the same . Thanks Darrell
Yep, that’s exactly how mine acts. No actual problem except the annoying message. I’m not sure what else to try at this point, so I have just decided to deal with it or cover the DiC. If I come across anything that works I will certainly let you know, and as you said please do the same if you have any luck.

you are getting a response from the yaw module. did you disconnect the position sensors on each wheel and install a simulator? the problem is the yaw signal runs thru the abs system then thru the main control . we are working on it.

Hello Everyone,

I am yet another owner that has a 2005 XLR with a faulty suspension control module. I have replaced the shocks with bilsteins and simulators and love the ride! I do no have any issues except for the service ride control message on the DIC. I am assuming that this is because the module is not working so even with the simulators it still displays the message. I have no intention on spending 3000 on a used module that will essentially do nothing for me anyway besides eliminate the message on the DIC. So does anybody know a way to either trick the computer into thinking the module is working or any option at all to eliminate the message besides putting tape in front of it. (That is my current solution) I even thought about taking out the cluster and wiring in a toggle switch the the DIC power wire just so it wont constantly annoy me. Any opinions or options are welcome.

Thanks
I have just bought a 2005 XLR and seeing the same thing when test driving the vehicle with leaking front shocks. There are some rusted pins due to water damage. How bad the damge was, I don't know. My Techs are looking for another ride control module with no luck so far. My thought is to stick the original module back in and except the ride control and service stabilitrak message. Any thoughts on that.

most of the time if they got wet they do not work .If they do not work the shocks do not work and you get a pretty spongy ride. They defiantly will not adjust as they are intended to do. You can get the module . several people have them they run 2500-3000. The water damage goes beyond pins .Moisture in the module ruins it beyond repair. Dozens of people on here have tried to have them repaired but no luck. The best thing is to read up on the corvette shock swap and restore the ride to the way it was .

most of the time if they got wet they do not work .If they do not work the shocks do not work and you get a pretty spongy ride. They defiantly will not adjust as they are intended to do. You can get the module . several people have them they run 2500-3000. The water damage goes beyond pins .Moisture in the module ruins it beyond repair. Dozens of people on here have tried to have them repaired but no luck. The best thing is to read up on the corvette shock swap and restore the ride to the way it was .
Things I would have never known prior buying this car. The ride didn't feel spongy while test driving even with the leaking shocks. I did notice that the car would hesitate momentarily driving on the freeway at 65mph. I'll save your post for future reference. I'm waiting for my Cadi rep to call me with better news..

Is the module plug n play or does it require a relearn or additional resets?

Last edited:
when the module does not work the shocks operate in one mode only .depending on how much fluid is lost they will be soft .They will never be firm as intended as the module controls the magnetic powder to stiffen them up . they soften on their own with the absence of current to magnetize the powder. Your module could be working and you have a problem with the ABS system . Any of the wheel position sensors could be bad and throwing the code. The yaw sensor could be bad . Aal of these your tech can check on his scanner.

when the module does not work the shocks operate in one mode only .depending on how much fluid is lost they will be soft .They will never be firm as intended as the module controls the magnetic powder to stiffen them up . they soften on their own with the absence of current to magnetize the powder. Your module could be working and you have a problem with the ABS system . Any of the wheel position sensors could be bad and throwing the code. The yaw sensor could be bad . Aal of these your tech can check on his scanner.
Thanks for the info brother. I was thinking I wouldn't be able to drive the car at all. I also found a roof top module in one of the neighboring states.... Slowly moving forward.... I'm smiling inside again...

watch buying roof modules used .they may be bad like yours . i sell new ones for less than most used ones bring.
This is from an authorized GM parts department. Yea, not going to buy used just to have it installed in the morning, then pulled out for failure by the eveining. That's why I will pay a little extra going threw my Cadi service department..... From there to the forum.....

good. Used ones may be the only way in a few months . I hope they can fill the order. There are a dozen sellers that claim to have parts as most of us know and then they send you your money back because they find they cannot get it . I still buy used damaged ones for the time when we can get someone to rebuild them and the price will be in line . So be sure to get your old one
The good thing is you have hit on the two major problems with the 04 -05 and getting them repaired. . once you get them all sorted out and make sure you get the techs to do the leak repair so both do not get wet again.( they should be fully aware of it and should have checked it already and advised if it was done or not) you can sit back let the top down and really enjoy the car and the fun you will have.

good. Used ones may be the only way in a few months . I hope they can fill the order. There are a dozen sellers that claim to have parts as most of us know and then they send you your money back because they find they cannot get it . I still buy used damaged ones for the time when we can get someone to rebuild them and the price will be in line . So be sure to get your old one
The good thing is you have hit on the two major problems with the 04 -05 and getting them repaired. . once you get them all sorted out and make sure you get the techs to do the leak repair so both do not get wet again.( they should be fully aware of it and should have checked it already and advised if it was done or not) you can sit back let the top down and really enjoy the car and the fun you will have.
Thanks again mickeytee. You have been extremely helpful.....

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Better late than never....really simple fix...just look online for corvette c6 mag-ride delete inserts. Take the plug from the top of the stack magshock and this unit plugs into that...have them on my XLRV as I installed coilovers three years ago...no issues...the deleted are about $200 I think.

your suspension module on 06=09 does not fail like the 04/05 does .Simulators work fine with no lights on all 06-09 base and v with no lights on the dash. However some 04/05 depending on what mode they were in when they got wet will turn the light on and simulators will not turn it off.

I found the shocks Bilstein #24-029759 front
and #24-029766 rear but where do you get the simulators?

Plug and play

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back