Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

09 xlr totaled for 86.00 part

long Tall Sally

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 xlr dove gray
got a friend who says insurance was going to total his 09 12,000 mile xlr for a 86.00 part. The fender louver for the 08 and 09 is no longer available so his car is a total as it cannot be repaired. I have offered him one of mine I have and a fender already cut to specs. I will just buy a older fender and replace both on my 08 to elimanate the vents that I was going to install. But it seems bad that such a simple part that is so cheap is no longer serviced by the dealer. If it was my car, I would be there at GM personally and have someone eat the old moulding for breakfast. Even if you have one stock factory with them on it ,the chrome will most likely peel in a couple of years.

If anyone bought a set and found out the cost to cut out your fender or changed your mind, let me knw, I will buy them from you.

Last edited:
This thread does not belong in the SITE HELP AND FEEDBACK forum.

Moving to the XLR General Discussion forum...

long tall,,, I'm not surprised that a insurance company will total a vehicle because a part that is lost or damaged became a discontinued item by the manufacturer . [the part you mentioned, headlights, taillights, etc]
Its sad that it has came to this ,,,but its something we have to live with > insurance companies take their loses on some claims and move on.

I owned cars with a aluminum frame, and if I would have lightly bumped into a curb and cracked an aluminum weld joint,,,,,,nobody re-welding the aluminum joint would sign for further liability on that frame repair....thus creating a 'totaled claim issue' and/or a possible 'salvaged title' on the vehicle. Low production, exotic cars do have their disadvantages at times.

Looking at a Chev SS model this past Saturday at a car show,,,,noticed the 'side chrome emblem' on the front quarter panels and thought with some minor body panel modification that this emblem would replace a discontinued XLR part that the insurance deemed unavailable, and decided to total the car. This might make the car salvageable to keep or sell to another buyer? Take a look:

2016-Chevrolet-SS.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back