Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2006 XLR Electrical Problem

redbaron5

2006 XLR-V

Strangest occurrence, definitely need some help with this one.

When driving, randomly, on average once every 30 minutes, the radio will shut off to a black screen, the gas, oil, temp, and voltage gauges will go to zero, the windows won’t roll down and the doors won’t open. This happens while driving. The car will continue to drive fine otherwise, engine and tach still work.

It’s as if the car was shut off and it thinks I am outside of it. I have to use the emergency cable to open the door.

If I use the start button to shut her off, she will not respond or restart until I exit the vehicle manually, lock and unlock the door using the fob, re-enter the vehicle and start the engine. Keep in mind this all happens while driving 60 mph down the freeway.

I’ve checked fuses and other obvious stuff, no stereos or electrical components have been added to the car recently, this just started happening out of the blue.

What do you guys think? Relay? Start button malfunction? ACC button issue? Any leads? I’m lost on this one, please help guys!

Kevin

red, I'd start with checking the battery condition. Next, loose grounds.

red, I'd start with checking the battery condition. Next, loose grounds.

Rex, Zen,

Appreciate the suggestion. Battery is new and seems to be in good working order, as the car cranks 100% and the battery tests at 12 volts. I did check the grounds in the engine bay and everything seems fine.

Could this be a bad ignition switch forcing it into off mode?

Last edited:
2006 XLR-V

Strangest occurrence, definitely need some help with this one.

When driving, randomly, on average once every 30 minutes, the radio will shut off to a black screen, the gas, oil, temp, and voltage gauges will go to zero, the windows won’t roll down and the doors won’t open. This happens while driving. The car will continue to drive fine otherwise, engine and tach still work.

It’s as if the car was shut off and it thinks I am outside of it. I have to use the emergency cable to open the door.

If I use the start button to shut her off, she will not respond or restart until I exit the vehicle manually, lock and unlock the door using the fob, re-enter the vehicle and start the engine. Keep in mind this all happens while driving 60 mph down the freeway.

I’ve checked fuses and other obvious stuff, no stereos or electrical components have been added to the car recently, this just started happening out of the blue.

What do you guys think? Relay? Start button malfunction? ACC button issue? Any leads? I’m lost on this one, please help guys!

Kevin

Bit of a stretch here but When was the last time the battery in the remote was changed?

Fire,

I don't think its ever been changed, can this cause this particular problem? I'm certainly leaning toward a ACC/remote/Ignition switch issue rather than a battery issue considering the car cranks so easily and battery has tested good.

All the doors work and the fob locks and unlocks the car when you approach the vehicle. It's just now this haunted Cadillac randomly while driving it seems to think you've at some point exited the vehicle.

Update:

Problem is becoming more frequent. Here’s what I have done so far to try to resolve it:

Reflashed ECM to stock 06 XLR program.

Removed radio fuse to disable radio.

Replaced battery in FOB.

Deleted all FOB’s and reprogrammed.

Changed battery.

Problem is still occurring.

When it happens, you can hear the triple click ACC relay going off, it’s like a ghost is hitting the ACC button.

Just the clarify another symptom. The Tach, voltage gauge, engine, shifting, interior lights all continue to work, as well as the car running and driving.

The fuel gauge, temp gauge, Oil PSI all go to zero, windows stop working. It throws the service fuel system now and service car soon messages on the DIC. (These DTC’s alll disappear when car is “rebooted”

The way I'm thinking, As time goes by, as the XLR's age, these kinds of issues are becoming more frequent the wiring and connections have been the hardest culprits to track down, there are so many one-offs that have to do with wiring that are occurring as model years go by. I have owned mine since November and already had a wire shorting out between the drivers door and dash, as well as a major faulty ground on the fuel harness that causes the fuel pump to cut out randomly, both since I bought the car and Neither of mine threw a code though. Still, I'm wondering if yours is indeed one of electrical wires/exposed wiring or grounds. As I've learned, always start with the battery, but definitely move to check the grounds and wiring. Which wiring, I wouldn't be the guy with the expertise to tell you, but maybe under the dash it sounds like? Because it doesn't interfere with the performance at all and fuel delivery isn't affected.

Solved.

Car has coil overs and F55 suspension deletion sensors from Casper Electronics. One of the pentometer sensors was burnt to a crisp. Replaced sensor and car is behaving normally.

This sensor must have somehow been taking down the entire low side bus.

Red,,, Thanks for reporting back that the problem was solved, and what caused it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom