Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2008 Cold air intake info

prototyper

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Alpine Edition XLR
Newbie here, I was wondering if anybody had a 2008 XLR with the 4.6 motor that has a 'cold air intake kit' on it?

I want to add this mod along with a Corsa exhaust.

I called Volant yesterday and they said their product won't work on a 2008 for some reason. Anyway, name of product and part numbers for the intake kit and exhaust would be a great help.

Newbie here, I was wondering if anybody had a 2008 XLR with the 4.6 motor that has a 'cold air intake kit' on it?

I called Volant yesterday and they said their product won't work on a 2008 for some reason. Anyway, name of product and part numbers for the intake kit and exhaust would be a great help.

I don't know if it will work on a 2008. I did the exact same modification on my 2004--which was NOT listed as a car the Volant would work on, either. It fits and works fine.

Hola,
I have a 2009 Platinum XLR, I installed the Volant COI also installed the Corsa exhaust. not knowing a lot about the XLR I just plunged into the installation, as we used to say BTFPTM. (beat to fit, paint to match).:) With a little creative use of a saw blade I adapted the ducting to fit. I purchased the COI kit for the 05-07 XLR. After I made the installation I dressed it up a bit by replacing the two band clamps with a chrome single band clamp from Spectre.:blinzel:
Volant DCP_0283.jpg[CVolant DCP_0285.jpgODVolant DCP_0349.jpgE][/Volant DCP_0348.jpgCODE]Volant SS Clamp.jpg

I have a 2009 4.6l with Corsa & Volant......or should I say I did have that set up.

Initially when I purchased the car I installed a set of K&N filters then a few months later I added the Corsa and shortly there after the Volant. After the Volant was installed the car kept throwing an engine code (stating it was too lean) and my hubby kept clearing it out the code every few weeks or so and finally got fed up with that B.S. and took off the Volant shortly after we got back from the Kentucky homecoming. He didn't tell me until after I drove it a couple of times to see if I would notice......I didn't. :dunno: The trouble code has not yet come back but I only drove it for a few weeks before it was tucked away for the winter.

Rewind:
When I went to purchase the Volant it did not list a 2009 but I ordered it anyway. It fit right on without any trouble, no modifications. The Corsa needed modification to the tail pipes to fit into the factory tail pipes that are on the 2009 that I wanted to keep. As far as I know there is no mechanical or computer differences between the 2007 and older XLR over the 2008 and 2009's but perhaps there is?!?

Patrick, have you ever had any trouble with engine codes with your Corsa & Volant set up?

Patrick, have you ever had any trouble with engine codes with your Corsa & Volant set up?
[/QUOTE]

No, Sandy I have never had any error codes on the DIC. I believe this is because I did not change how/where the "Air Sensor" is mounted. It is in the original location. Maybe because of my lack of knowledge about the air flow, lead me to be overly cautious.
I seem to remember posts on this forum from members who had engine error codes caused by problems with the air sensor ( dirt, oil on the sensor). I think because I did not do anything with it I have had no error code issues.

Our air sensor was still in the stock place too. There is certainly less cowl noise (Steve noticed that, but no difference at the throttle) with the Volant removed but no noticeable hp loss although on a Dyno it may make be able to track 1 or 2 hp change.
All the Corsa sound attitude is still there which is what I really wanted so to heck with the Volant, I stick with the K&N's. :burnout:

Our air sensor was still in the stock place too. There is certainly less cowl noise (Steve noticed that, but no difference at the throttle) with the Volant removed but no noticeable hp loss although on a Dyno it may make be able to track 1 or 2 hp change.
All the Corsa sound attitude is still there which is what I really wanted so to heck with the Volant, I stick with the K&N's. :burnout:

Sandy, you might want to look into having your Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor cleaned/replaced. There is a discussion of this on this site. If the K&N filter has a little too much oil on it, it evidently can cause the MAF to become "oiled" and misread, which causes the O2 sensor(s) to throw codes. In other words, the Volant may have gotten a bad rap because it flowed more air, which the MAF didn't read properly, which caused a lean condition to be detected. The culprit may have been the K&N and a little too much oil. :dunno:

FWIW

Tim

Sandy, you might want to look into having your Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor cleaned/replaced. There is a discussion of this on this site. If the K&N filter has a little too much oil on it, it evidently can cause the MAF to become "oiled" and misread, which causes the O2 sensor(s) to throw codes. In other words, the Volant may have gotten a bad rap because it flowed more air, which the MAF didn't read properly, which caused a lean condition to be detected. The culprit may have been the K&N and a little too much oil. :dunno:

FWIW

Tim

Thanks for the thoughts. We add the K&N's to all of our cars and understand more is not better when it comes to oil so this is likely NOT been the problem, plus Steve checked the sensor so that situation seems to be highly unlikely. None the less I will take a look when I get home. Thanks.

Hola,
I have a 2009 Platinum XLR, I installed the Volant COI also installed the Corsa exhaust. not knowing a lot about the XLR I just plunged into the installation, as we used to say BTFPTM. (beat to fit, paint to match).:) With a little creative use of a saw blade I adapted the ducting to fit. I purchased the COI kit for the 05-07 XLR. After I made the installation I dressed it up a bit by replacing the two band clamps with a chrome single band clamp from Spectre.:blinzel:
View attachment 3878[CView attachment 3882ODView attachment 3880E][/View attachment 3879CODE]View attachment 3881

Pat what did you have to cut or how much? Did you notice any difference when driving the car after the install?

I like the looks of your setup. Not sure if it's just the pictures but the filters not not appear to be red or pink. Time to clean and reoil?? :dunno:

.............. Did you notice any difference when driving the car after the install?.......................

I would like to know the answer to the above question myself. I am thinking about the Volant COI myself but would like to know if it is money well spent. $300+ is a lot of money if there is no notable difference in performance. :(

Well. after reading this thread I will pass on the Volent air intake and will keep my K&N.:D

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom