Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Areas of importance when looking to purchase ?

VEGAS-GK

my plan is to purchase an XLR next spring as my summer car. I've seen a wide variety of prices and mileage. Some low miles are cheap, while others with high miles still ask for upwards of 25k.

What areas of importance should i focus on when searching ? Are there particular years that had more mechanical problems ? What are known problems ? ie~ bad radios/navigation, A/C controls/systems, common electrical problems, engine concerns? and the biggie ~power top failures ?

thanks for any sort of input of issues you might of had to deal with, duplicate answers are a plus, as this will help hone in on typical issues.

Looking forward to acquiring one of these.

Good questions, here's some answers that have affected me.

my plan is to purchase an XLR next spring as my summer car. I've seen a wide variety of prices and mileage. Some low miles are cheap, while others with high miles still ask for upwards of 25k.

What areas of importance should i focus on when searching ? Certainly mileage has a lot to do with it. Any noticeable body repairs? What does the engine bay look like? XLR owners seem to be a little more meticulous in keeping things clean. Top in working order? The headlight washer covers have a habit of popping off.
Are there particular years that had more mechanical problems ? For sure look at 2006 and up.
What are known problems ? ie~ bad radios/navigation, The nav system is obsolete and you can't upgrade the maps. CD players are quirky and may or may not work.
A/C controls/systems, Have not seen too much about this. Biggest problem I've encountered is the black snot that gets blown out of the vents. It's the foam insulation that has turned gummy. It will finally stop if you have that.
common electrical problems, Most common I've seen is battery running down. I installed a great Odyssey battery that solved my problem, others use a battery tender to keep the battery charged up
engine concerns? I've not had any problems, others will chime in I'm sure. Shift linkage may or may not be a concern. The bushings will eventually wear out due to age and heat.
and the biggie ~power top failures ? Ahh, the gorilla in the room. Remember some of these cars are approaching 15 years old. Linkage, hydraulic cylinders, pump and sensors can give out without a moment's notice. I have a TECHII that I use to reprogram the top about once a year. Sometimes it just gets confused.

Get to know where you can find a good Cadillac tech that is familiar with the XLR. Dealer or private mechanic.

thanks for any sort of input of issues you might of had to deal with, duplicate answers are a plus, as this will help hone in on typical issues.

Looking forward to acquiring one of these.

This question comes up a lot & I wish we had a “sticky” on it. One suggestion is to look through the manual (‘04-05 are pretty similar in features/operation, then ‘06-08, then ‘09) and, when you visit the car you’re interested in, check everything to see if it operates (interior lights, seat adjustment, driver’s info center, etc. etc.). This link also has some info: Which is the best year XLR???

There are other threads on here on it. Try using the Google advanced search function, limited to this web site address, to find specifics. :wave:

The single biggest thing to look for is a flooded/previously flooded cubby in the far drivers side corner of the trunk. It's under the carpet covered by a cardboard cover and has $5k of electronics and pump in it. If it's been flooded and there is water stains on anything there, look at a different car. It's not worth messing with.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom