Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Automatic Car Wash

Steve O'

I'd like to get my XLR-V washed on the conveyer style car wash near work but I'm worried about the clearance. They said corvettes make it through. I assume the ride height is the same but have you all done this?

Does the XLR-V sit lower than the XLR 2005+ corvettes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to get my XLR-V washed on the conveyer style car wash near work but I'm worried about the clearance. They said corvettes make it through. I assume the ride height is the same but have you all done this?

I've never tried but after servicing mine at the Cadillac dealer they wouldn't wash it due to the clearance issue. The car is small enough to hand wash pretty quick though.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have a base but the last couple times I went through automatic car washes, when my front wheels hit the "stop" lever of the wash it was alright except when it was time to leave. If You hit the gas you are afraid you'll go to fast out of the area. So I just hit the gas lightly. Because if you hit the pedal to hard then when you go over the "stop lever" you risk bottom scrapping before your back wheels have time to clear. Also the last time I went through the wash was so strong it moved my drivers mirror. At 1st I thought it broke, but luckily it only moved it out of locked position. So I gently pushed it back into place. Don't know if the dealership car washes are the same.
I've only really used conveyer style once. I guess they are alright except if you bump the steering wheel then it might sound alarms. I've been in the one where you actually drive it in and stay with the car. I get the feeling I'm going to bump into the guy I front because you can't see because the brushes are in your view.

Last edited:
If you want to wind up with swirls and light scratches in the paint, then be my guest. Those things are terrible with what they do with auto paint.

I have been turned away by one car wash, but went through another with no problem but when I got back on the road my check engine light was on so I stopped at my mechanic and he asked if I had the car washed recently? he told me sometimes the sensor gets wet and sends a false code. He reset it no problem since.

I have been turned away by one car wash, but went through another with no problem but when I got back on the road my check engine light was on so I stopped at my mechanic and he asked if I had the car washed recently? he told me sometimes the sensor gets wet and sends a false code. He reset it no problem since.

Curious as to what sensor it was or OBD code that was triggered

i take mine thru on occasion. the rubber skirt under the front bumper gets bent back by the rail that guides the wheel, but nothing else is touching.
i prefer to detail the car myself, and do that a few times a a year. but sometimes there just isnt time, so local car wash for a quickie is viable option. as long as there is a good coat of wax on the car, swirls, etc arent into the paint.

Hi All,
Good afternoon. Just another day in Paradise and only 29 days til Spring... I tried an auto car wash with I first got mine. It was like taking a shower in the car.... Have hand washed it ever since... The XLR seems a lot happier...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom