Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

battery change

hdduane

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven XLR
I'm planning on changing my battery not because I have had a problem with it, but to prevent potential problems from happening. I brought my XLR in December and I want a known good battery in it before summer hits with all it heat. So I have a couple of questions. I read somewhere that you can attach something to the XLR to maintain the system settings while you change the battery.

1. What do you attach to the XLR to maintain the settings?
2. Where do you get one?
3. Where do you attach it?

You can get one (Setting Keeper) at WalMart or any of the parts stores--it
uses a 9V battery and plugs into your cigar lighter/power outlet. Cost is a few $'s.

Keeper

I didn't see it at Walmart but found this on Amazon:

CTA Tools 3002 Computer Memory Saver. Costs $12

Thanks for your help, but I got a schumacher sec-12v-obd automatic computer memory saver today at autozone for 12.99. It plugs into my obd2 port on one end and has a cigarette lighter plug on the other end that plugs into my 12v portable jump starter. I will change my battery tomorrow.:cool:

Battery change complete, memory saver worked flawlessly. Glad I put a new battery in, my XLR volt meter is reading about a half of a volt higher.:cool:

What is the best battery for the XLR?? I am in the Midwest so I do not drive my XLR from December thru March...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the best battery for the XLR?? I am in the Midwest so I do not drive my XLR from December thru March...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's been a big topic of debate on here, generally a battle between Odyssey & Optima. You can search those terms and/or check this thread: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ion/4125-optima-battery.html?highlight=Optima

We went with Optima. Still will need a battery tender/charger if the car sits more than 2-3 weeks.

Thank you very much for the info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be careful when selecting the correct size battery, often store battery web tools tell you the wrong battery to buy.
if you want to know i recently bought an odyssey direct from the manufacturer with a special website sale for a pretty good price.
mine was a 07 so battery terminals were reversed from the earlier model yrs....
i posted this up at the time.

odyssey size for the XLR is
04/05 34 PC1500
06/07/08/09 34R PC1500

dont follow the odyssey website.
read this
Odyssey Battery Install - 2008 C6 Coupe - Corvette Forum

several XLR owners here have followed the steps in this thread and it is 100% accurate.
i just did it 3 months ago and can attest to battery fitment being absolutely perfect.
no modification to cables, access to cabin filter unchanged. i will even say the original battery tray fit fine, no need to replace as the corvette thread advises.
but i had a new tray so i did it anyway. tray was only 13 bux.

optima or odyssey ??? thats personal preference. i like the fact that the odyssey ups the CCA significantly. alot more capacity.
and having recently researched optima for my prius, many people are saying optima batteries are now poor quality ever since the factory moved south of the border. i still bought an optima for the prius ( no other good options besides the dealer battery), and an odyssey for the XLR.
i will maintain both with a battery minder periodically. so we'll see which one dies first!

i didnt use a memory saver and all my settings were fine even for a few hours , while the battery was out.
did have a problem first time starting the car, getting the key fob to recognize.
maybe the wireless key computer loses its charge and wont reboot until teh car starts the car starts first time,
but other than that all radio and seat settings were saved.
others have experienced the key fob issue with battery installs, it goes away as soon as you get it to start the first time

be careful when selecting the correct size battery, often store battery web tools tell you the wrong battery to buy.
if you want to know i recently bought an odyssey direct from the manufacturer with a special website sale for a pretty good price.
mine was a 07 so battery terminals were reversed from the earlier model yrs....
i posted this up at the time.

odyssey size for the XLR is
04/05 34 PC1500
06/07/08/09 34R PC1500

dont follow the odyssey website.
read this
Odyssey Battery Install - 2008 C6 Coupe - Corvette Forum

several XLR owners here have followed the steps in this thread and it is 100% accurate.
i just did it 3 months ago and can attest to battery fitment being absolutely perfect.
no modification to cables, access to cabin filter unchanged. i will even say the original battery tray fit fine, no need to replace as the corvette thread advises.
but i had a new tray so i did it anyway. tray was only 13 bux.

Lextoy, Thanks for the Odyssey battery information. My Delco started getting weak and I have not had good luck with Optima batteries so I ordered the Odyssey 34R PC1500 and installed it today. Perfect fit and based upon the specs it should provide a lot more reserve than the Delco which had very little even when it was new though it did last for 6 years of normal use.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom