Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Cadillac XLR: One of the Worst Sports Cars?

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Motor1 out of Canada, a part of the Motorsport Network, recently published an interesting article on the 2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR being one of the worst sports cars.

While the article does state some some good qualities of the Cadillac XLR, I'm not entirely sure I agree with the negatives they outlined.

Basically, they chastised the car for being too heavy, coming in at 3,840 pounds versus 3,241 lbs for the C6 Corvette which it was based off of, and a poor performer when compared to the C6 Corvette. While this may be true, the Cadillac XLR was never meant to be an exact replica of the C6 Corvette with a Cadillac body. It wasn't built to take on European competition like Ferrari and Porsche, or meant for the track. It was a luxury cruiser.

While the aluminum retractable roof may have contributed to much of the excessive weight of the XLR, again, making the XLR as lightweight as possible wasn't high up on Cadillac's priority list.

Luxury comes at a price - both in the wallet and in the weight.

While final production numbers fell much shorter than GM's 5,000- 7,000 per year projections, it's our opinion here at the XLR Net, that the Cadillac XLR failed in the market because GM's Marketing Team failed at marketing the car. In the waning years of production, the XLR was rarely ever seen in magazines or TV ads. Combine the lack of marketing with a much higher than necessary entry price, the Cadillac XLR died a slow, agonizing death thanks to GM's short-sightedness.

Putting all that aside, we appreciate GM being brave enough to bring such a revolutionary Cadillac to the market for the time. While the automotive media may not appreciate the Cadillac XLR, we do appreciate what the car is and what it was built for.

It's a comfortable, fun to drive, convertible sports car that was meant to draw new customers into the Cadillac fold by showcasing a sporty, luxurious edge to a brand that was always associated with gray-haired grandparents. A light weight, track attack, Porsche-eating sports car was never in the equation for the XLR.

In any case, enjoy the article linked below:
Link Does Not Exist - Rob

I consider this car a luxury cruiser mores than a sports car. I have always called this car an " Old Mans Corvette ". I very seldom take my car out and not get a compliment. I have been back in the Palm Springs area for 3 weeks and I saw my first XLR driving around yesterday. I see Porches, Bentley's and Ferrari's every day. We have very unique cars and I will pass on reading the article because I am sure the author just doesn't get it.
John F.

Personally I feel that the XLR was instrumental in bringing the younger crowd to Cadillac's dealerships. The CTS was the first Cadillac that was embraced by the younger generation of car buyer - MY dad loved Cadillacs but they WERE 'an old mans car' - never on my 'radar' ........ but the XLR and CTS changed that. Granted, Cadillac did not cash properly in on the XLR due to tough economic times and they let the XLR down thru lack of further exposure but the 'buzz' in the automotive world surrounding the XLR helped set the pace of the next generation of cars.
I just feel privelaged that I found one for me and count myself as a next gen Cadillac lover........& I still would love to add a CTS V wagon to my stable! :burnout:

I have been coming to the Palm Springs area for a number of years and Lexus owned the business. They had the Frank Sinatra and Dinah Shore Golf Classic and Lexus was everywhere. Well today Cadillac owns the business. This is the first winter I have only seen one XLR. The Cadillac dealer has an unbelievable inventory and the cars are all jazzed up with fancy wheels and Vogue Tires with gold/white walls. These cars look sharp and these are not your father's Cadillacs.
John F.

I have been coming to the Palm Springs area for a number of years and Lexus owned the business. They had the Frank Sinatra and Dinah Shore Golf Classic and Lexus was everywhere. Well today Cadillac owns the business. This is the first winter I have only seen one XLR. The Cadillac dealer has an unbelievable inventory and the cars are all jazzed up with fancy wheels and Vogue Tires with gold/white walls. These cars look sharp and these are not your father's Cadillacs.
John F.

Vogue tires???

There's plenty of XLR DNA in a lot of today's Cadillacs. Taillights, headlights, 3rd brakelights, body lines and creases. Not a day goes by when we're in the car that we get a "looker" and even people start up conversations about our XLR. I've seen people walk by the car and do one, two, three doubletakes or more. Too bad Cadillac didn't take the car further. If people pay right at 100,000$ for an XLRV think what they'd be paying now for a new, updated one, and most wouldn't blink an eye

I also see quite a bit of that DNA in the lines of the 5th gen Camaro & even the C7, especially from the back.

Another typical 'journalist' who doesn't do any research, except pulling up Wikipedia for information; which for the most part is incorrect.

Cases in point: There were no XLR's that had a 111,000 MSRP. '09 Base listed at 88,055.00 and V model was 107,255.00 both had Chrome wheel option added.
The six speed tranny came out in 2006 for all V's made the first model year and continued for all models the next year and beyond.
There were 16,652 XLR produced, that is over 15,000 not under. Last XLR rolled off the line on April 29, 2009 not March.

It was built as a luxury roadster to compete against Mercedes SLK, which at the time was available in a base 230 model, 192HP inline supercharged 4 cylinder. 320 model with a 215HP 6 cylinder or the AMG model six cylinder supercharged at 349HP. Later years offer a V8 in the AMG model at 355HP.

At 8-13 years old, the XLR is still timeless in its style and luxury. Many of the items on the XLR were new advanced technology at the time and later used in other vehicles.

Cubby558

The XLR was taking on the SL model not the SLK. V-8 to V-8. XLR lost to the SL but that makes us a RARE BREED indeed.

I find this car more of a 'Sports Touring Car', rather than ..........

a high performance sportscar .

I feel that this vehicle was always 'aimed' at 'performance touring' and choice of powerplant is the first of many ques, to that point .

While the 'LS motors' were on the same line, why try to compete with Corvette, while offering 'more luxury and weight' ?

Why not save some front end weight, use 'a viable known engine', and continue the Cadillac DNA in the flagship ?

I have used this car for commuting from Arizona to Southern California and back (680 + miles round trip) , in comfort, never a lack of power (NA Northstar) with total control at all speeds in all conditions .

Whether the job requires a 'jackhammer' or a 'diamond cutter's tools', only the truly involved operator knows .

IMO, the difference begins when one 'buys and drives for life', and the other must 'meet an editorial deadline on Friday' .

I'm buying/building more storage space to keep my 'toys' like this XLR, so that I can purchase more 'worst sports cars' like the XLR and the GT Continental W12 I seek ..........

Motor1 out of Canada, a part of the Motorsport Network...

Curious: Motor1 Global Headquarters Contact Us | Motor1.com & Motorsport Network: Contact | MotorsportNetwork.com

Perhaps they moved?

As for a XLR versus a Corvette of any year prior to this one (including this one if you want to include engine design), imho, it's no contest, XLR hands down, especially for the unique styling and rarity. And as XLRs get smacked or worn out and discarded, that's only going to get better and better. Corvette is still just too commonplace. I see them frequently and curiously, most often in some hideous "look at me! look at me!" color. :(

Gord :)

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry