Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Car Covers

beaver_jd

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V
I thought I would give everyone a heads up on car covers. I have purchased a couple of all weather car covers from Costco. I think they are Car Cover. I use them when we get a lot of blowing sand or the occasional rain as I don't want to take a chance on any water getting into the trunk. Well we had some rain the other night and there was water under the cover and when i took the cover off I had stains on the trunk and roof. It's a mess and I am not sure how I will fix it. However i will have to do something either now or the beginning of next winter as I am getting ready to go home. Moral of my story Don't buy a CHEAP cover. Step up and buy a good one.
John F.

I thought I would give everyone a heads up on car covers. I have purchased a couple of all weather car covers from Costco. I think they are Car Cover. I use them when we get a lot of blowing sand or the occasional rain as I don't want to take a chance on any water getting into the trunk. Well we had some rain the other night and there was water under the cover and when i took the cover off I had stains on the trunk and roof. It's a mess and I am not sure how I will fix it. However i will have to do something either now or the beginning of next winter as I am getting ready to go home. Moral of my story Don't buy a CHEAP cover. Step up and buy a good one.
John F.

The name may be Covercraft .
John F.

I bought a California Car Cover and have been very pleased with it! Not inexpensive and it takes some time to make as they are made to order!

I purchased off EBay a -MotorTrend- brand, good for the price and provides good outside protection, I live oceanfront without a gargage

All outdoor covers will get water under them one way or another. Condensation, if it's "waterproof", or it will let some water through to stop condensation from being trapped under the cover.

cover

I purchased a California Car Cover. Their good thick custom cover. I installed high intensity fluorescent lighting in my garage. Over the course of one winter and intermittent lighting a dye in the cover has transferred to my V's white paint. There are perfect brown strips on the cover that perfectly match the light brown strips in the paint. You cannot see them in the sun (thank GOD) but under any other light they can be seen. I contacted California Car Cover, sent pictures, offered to send the cover, but they stopped communicating with me.
I am now getting ready to pay a detailer to try to buff the "stains" out. DO NOT PURCHASE COVERS FROM CALIFORNIA CAR COVER IF YOU HAVE HIGH INTENSITY LIGHTING IN THE CARS STORAGE AREA !!!!! DSC_0038.jpgDSC_0031.jpgDSC_0039.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 220
chemical

I personally would think it is more like a chemical reaction to maybe a sealer you have on the car or some type of wax. We have 50 cars under High intensity garage lighting In the museum here and they have every sort of cover I have ever seen as we rotate the cars from owners who store and or display them. I have never seen any damage from a car cover except when put on a wet car then it drys. In that case sometimes it raises the paint a bit but all it takes is leaving it outside for a few cycles of temp and it will level itself off. The only one I say damaged totally was block sanded and buffed with the paint raised and of course when it settled it shrank and now has divots in it. If its a dye bleed from the car cover than a simple demand letter with proff from you or your insurance company will get results. Have your detailer document what he does an if it works or not.

why not park it out in direct sunlight for a few days to see if it disappears on its own.
also a good cleaner wax rather than mechanical polish may remove whatever stain penetrated.
before a detailer buffs off a layer of paint, see if it can be removed more gently.
might even disappear from the sun baking the paint clean again...

cover

Hi thanks for the thoughts - i have tried just about every gentle thing I can think of - tried over 5 different cleaners and waxes. I really think either this is a dye transfer issue or a kind of oxidation issue.
Please keep any thought you may have coming. I really don't want to go to this extreme but not sure if anything else will work.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom