Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Chech engine light

jgaugie

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Crimson pearl
Check engine light

I have experienced a great deal of frustration with my "check engine light". I have had my 2005 XLR into the Cadillac dealer 4 times and had O2 sensors changed several times among other "fixes" to the tune of more than $1000 and recently it came on again so I found a very experienced ex-Cadillac service mgr now in business for himself to look at my service reports and the car. He did not think the O2 sensors were faulty and checked all the variables and found them to be within acceptable parameters even though the codes indicated that the car was running lean--too much air or not enough fuel. He found no vacuum leaks and checked the intake and found all 10 bolts holding the intake down so loose he could turn them by hand. He concluded that air entering via the loose connection could be causing the problem. There is no excuse for the Cadillac techs not finding this out. The light is out and we shall see if this fixes the problem once and for all. If it does than I was taken for a "ride" by my friendly Cadillac dealer.

Last edited:
Engine Light

Jgaugle, My engine light came on 2 weeks ago and I took it to the Cadillac dealer. They put the tech 2 on it and found nothing. They reset the light and told me to make sure I was using premium fuel. If the light is on it has to do with emissions and if it's flashing there is a real problem. If this light is on the car will not pass a California smog.
John F.

I have experienced a great deal of frustration with my "check engine light". I have had my 2005 XLR into the Cadillac dealer 4 times and had O2 sensors changed several times among other "fixes" to the tune of more than $1000 and recently it came on again so I found a very experienced ex-Cadillac service mgr now in business for himself to look at my service reports and the car. He did not think the O2 sensors were faulty and checked all the variables and found them to be within acceptable parameters even though the codes indicated that the car was running lean--too much air or not enough fuel. He found no vacuum leaks and checked the intake and found all 10 bolts holding the intake down so loose he could turn them by hand. He concluded that air entering via the loose connection could be causing the problem. There is no excuse for the Cadillac techs not finding this out. The light is out and we shall see if this fixes the problem once and for all. If it does than I was taken for a "ride" by my friendly Cadillac dealer.

This has to be a common problem with the normally aspirated Northstar engine. The intake mainifold is plastic and over time the bolts loose tension and have to be re-torqued. This has happened on my wife's STS and it was a real easy fix to just tighten the bolts and the problem went away. Any technician familiar with the Northstar engine would have to know this.

BTW Never have put even one tank of premium fuel in the 145,000 miles the STS has on it now and it runs fine.

Engine Light

Onalaska, Thanks for the information. If my engine light goes on again I will have them tighten the bolts you speak of. Good info.
John F.

This has to be a common problem with the normally aspirated Northstar engine. The intake mainifold is plastic and over time the bolts loose tension and have to be re-torqued. This has happened on my wife's STS and it was a real easy fix to just tighten the bolts and the problem went away. Any technician familiar with the Northstar engine would have to know this.

BTW Never have put even one tank of premium fuel in the 145,000 miles the STS has on it now and it runs fine.

I just had my 04 XLR Check engine light come on for 1st time. Have had my XLR for 2 months. Do love it but wondered what people's experiences are with the check engine light being on? The attached person's experience is not good. Others??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check engine light

Look at other engine light thread for additional answers

The CEL can be illuminated by something as minor as not tightening the gas cap, or having one that doesn't seal properly. If loose, then tightened, the light will stay on for several ignition cycles, unless you clear the code causing it with a scan tool.

CCC

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back