Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

CNC, Learning The Car driving it home.

CNC

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert
Hopefully the stuff I am going to tell you about here will 'crack you up'. : ) I am 6'4" and didn't think about the pre-programmed seat positions that the doctors wife had set. She is barely 5' tall if that? I'd manually move the seat all the way back and recline it. When I turned off the ignition and opened the door it would cruch me against the steering wheel and dash trying to get to her position. Knees jammed into the dash, chest into the steering wheel, face sideways; like a sardine. + I had telescoped the steering all the way out, of course! --- Ugh. : ) Reaching down with my left hand for the seat controls as fast as possible, but not fast enough! --- Took the time, read the owners manual and re-programmed it.

On the first night out on Monday heading back to Colorado the driver's door panel was uncomofrtably hot and getting hotter! ???? Really annoying! Plus, I didn't know how to turn on the interior lights. Ooops.

Luckily I had taken a flash light with me for possible emergency use. I pulled over and again started reading the owners manual. Turned out that the door panel arm resst are heated like the seats and somehow ( ? ) I had accidentally turned it on. Once off it cooled right down. Duhhhh. Then I figured out how to turn the interior lights on as well. This being admitted to here, something comes to mind to justify; "I am an American, and it is Un-American to read instructions unless absolutely necessary".
:laugh:

On a long trip the center console does get a bit warm being right above the tranny. Understandable. Not hot, but slightly warm. So with the top up and the AC on I'd train the diffusers to target the console. Really helped. When I had the top down at 72 degrees outside going East on I-70 it wasn't an issue.

I also called On Star and had them activate it. When you buy a pre-owned XLR the first three (3) months if free.

Again, since many of you asked about the drive back please click on #2 of my original post, "CNC New XLR Owner". I think I replied to my own positing. :rolleyes:

tranny position

Hopefully the stuff I am going to tell you about here will 'crack you up'. : ) I am 6'4" and didn't think about the pre-programmed seat positions that the doctors wife had set. She is barely 5' tall if that? I'd manually move the seat all the way back and recline it. When I turned off the ignition and opened the door it would cruch me against the steering wheel and dash trying to get to her position. Knees jammed into the dash, chest into the steering wheel, face sideways; like a sardine. + I had telescoped the steering all the way out, of course! --- Ugh. : ) Reaching down with my left hand for the seat controls as fast as possible, but not fast enough! --- Took the time, read the owners manual and re-programmed it.

On the first night out on Monday heading back to Colorado the driver's door panel was uncomofrtably hot and getting hotter! ???? Really annoying! Plus, I didn't know how to turn on the interior lights. Ooops.

Luckily I had taken a flash light with me for possible emergency use. I pulled over and again started reading the owners manual. Turned out that the door panel arm resst are heated like the seats and somehow ( ? ) I had accidentally turned it on. Once off it cooled right down. Duhhhh. Then I figured out how to turn the interior lights on as well. This being admitted to here, something comes to mind to justify; "I am an American, and it is Un-American to read instructions unless absolutely necessary".
:laugh:

On a long trip the center console does get a bit warm being right above the tranny. Understandable. Not hot, but slightly warm. So with the top up and the AC on I'd train the diffusers to target the console. Really helped. When I had the top down at 72 degrees outside going East on I-70 it wasn't an issue.

I also called On Star and had them activate it. When you buy a pre-owned XLR the first three (3) months if free.

Again, since many of you asked about the drive back please click on #2 of my original post, "CNC New XLR Owner". I think I replied to my own positing. :rolleyes:

Hi,just for info. the tranny is in the rear bolted to the diff. I think it's fun finding out new things about our cars.the heat's from the ext. pipes running thru the tunnel. good luck. Al :)

Thanks for educating me. Makes sense. What I get for 'assuming' : )

Hi,just for info. the tranny is in the rear bolted to the diff. I think it's fun finding out new things about our cars.the heat's from the ext. pipes running thru the tunnel. good luck. Al :)

Reply: Thanks! --- I wonder if adding some kind of heat shield at that location above the exhaust would help this? You are correct of course about my just starting to learn about the vehicle mechanicals. I thought it was bit weird in my incorrect assumption that it was the tranny. With as much fluid as they hold and an aluminum case, and I (again) 'assume' a separate cooler (maybe not?), it did not make sense to me. --- This makes total sense to me now. :)

If you think this would be a good thing to do, or know of a prefitted kit of any kind, I would sure appreciate the input. It is a bit annoying. From what I saw there was no to '0' clearance above. So probably not possible?

I did briefly look at the undercarriage when The Cadillac Dealer had it on the lift in La Mesa, CA. Obviously I didn't pay much attention to the Trans location. I was impressed to see a stainless steel exhaust system. Prior to going to get the car I had also 'assumed' it wasn't stainless and was pricing a MagnaFlow system on line. Obviously not necessary. --- At the time I was in a hurry to "get out of Dodge".

I intend to keep the car as totally stock as possible with no radical mods. However minor suggested improvements are definitely on the menu.

Thanks again.

I HIGHLY suggest reading the owners manual cover to cover! Then sit down in the car with the manual and locate every control!

I purchased my XLR on a Tuesday, but didn't pick it up until Friday, because it rained all week and did not clear until Friday morning! I forgot to take the owners manual home with me, but thank goodness the owners manual is available on this site. So I was able to familiarize myself quite a bit by pulling it up from this site.

There is a LOT to learn about how these marvelous cars work, and if you are able to obtain a copy of the book Cadillac XLR by John McCormick, it will tell you many things about the car you might not know otherwise. Like the fact that there are 22 serial data modules in the car! Or why it takes about 7/10 of a second from the time you press the pad inside the door until it opens.

Congratulations again on your purchase and we are looking forward to seeing pictures! I actually saw a Gold Mist XLR once, not very far from my home, but not again since. The color is actually pretty close to the color on my Tahoe.

I HIGHLY suggest reading the owners manual cover to cover! Then sit down in the car with the manual and locate every control!

I purchased my XLR on a Tuesday, but didn't pick it up until Friday, because it rained all week and did not clear until Friday morning! I forgot to take the owners manual home with me, but thank goodness the owners manual is available on this site. So I was able to familiarize myself quite a bit by pulling it up from this site.

There is a LOT to learn about how these marvelous cars work, and if you are able to obtain a copy of the book Cadillac XLR by John McCormick, it will tell you many things about the car you might not know otherwise. Like the fact that there are 22 serial data modules in the car! Or why it takes about 7/10 of a second from the time you press the pad inside the door until it opens.

Congratulations again on your purchase and we are looking forward to seeing pictures! I actually saw a Gold Mist XLR once, not very far from my home, but not again since. The color is actually pretty close to the color on my Tahoe.

You are correct! read that manual front to back I've owned Roxy for 2 yrs. this past March and I'm still figuring some things out on her!! But I do LOVE this car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan Gouker

"On the first night out on Monday heading back to Colorado the driver's door panel was uncomofrtably hot and getting hotter! ???? Really annoying! Plus, I didn't know how to turn on the interior lights." this must be the button thats in between #1 and #2 seat position? Thats the only button i haven't figured out yet. But like everyone especially granddaddy said. We are still learning about our cars.

this must be the button thats in between #1 and #2 seat position? Thats the only button i haven't figured out yet.
If you are referring to the 1 & 2 buttons on the drivers seat, then the middle button is for EXIT settings. See page 2-57 of your owners manual. It explains how to set the exit positions.

Reply: Thanks! --- I wonder if adding some kind of heat shield at that location above the exhaust would help this? You are correct of course about my just starting to learn about the vehicle mechanicals. I thought it was bit weird in my incorrect assumption that it was the tranny. With as much fluid as they hold and an aluminum case, and I (again) 'assume' a separate cooler (maybe not?), it did not make sense to me. --- This makes total sense to me now. :)

If you think this would be a good thing to do, or know of a prefitted kit of any kind, I would sure appreciate the input. It is a bit annoying. From what I saw there was no to '0' clearance above. So probably not possible?

I did briefly look at the undercarriage when The Cadillac Dealer had it on the lift in La Mesa, CA. Obviously I didn't pay much attention to the Trans location. I was impressed to see a stainless steel exhaust system. Prior to going to get the car I had also 'assumed' it wasn't stainless and was pricing a MagnaFlow system on line. Obviously not necessary. --- At the time I was in a hurry to "get out of Dodge".

I intend to keep the car as totally stock as possible with no radical mods. However minor suggested improvements are definitely on the menu.

Thanks again.

The only real mod that i was thinking of doing due to price. is the powder coated calipers. At first i was thinking of doing the mesh V grill on my base. But after i heard what they wanted and not guarantee the size fit. I axed on that thought. Unless i win the lotto. But i would like to have the calipers painted or powder coated.

this must be the button thats in between #1 and #2 seat position? Thats the only button i haven't figured out yet.
If you are referring to the 1 & 2 buttons on the drivers seat, then the middle button is for EXIT settings. See page 2-57 of your owners manual. It explains how to set the exit positions.

Ok thanks

Yes #1 button sets all settings for FOB1 & # 2 of course sets # 2 FOB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan Gouker

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics