Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Coil pack failure

xlrlist01

Seasoned Member
My X developed a very modest and occasional slight 'sneeze' or delicate 'cough', while idling waiting at lights. In park there was nothing to notice and when moving, again nothing to notice. However, not right.

I plugged in the Tech II and it has a diagnostic function that displays a mis-fire counter for each cylinder and there, #4 was showing a mis-fire count. So I removed the coil pack and swapped it with #2. The Tech II now reported #2 with the mis-fire count. To confirm further I went round each injector in turn and unplugged it (one at a time), for each cylinder there was a very, very slight change in revs, except for (now) #2. (I did the same test with the suspect coil pack in #4, same confirmation result.)

Ordered new set of four coil packs. Easy to fit, the new design is a different coil pack from the ones I have, I can't swap just one, however the whole module (ie all four) simply swap in and out, easy to do. The left and right coil pack modules are the same.

For reference, #2, #4, #6 and #8 are the left hand bank, #2 is at the front; #1,# 3, #5 and #7 are the right hand bank, #1 is at the front. Left/right designations are as if sat in the driver's seat, looking forwards.

The coil packs go bad surprisingly frequently - I have replaced 2 (individual) myself.

what engine are you working on ? I dont think I have seen a coil pack .All the ones I have replaced are just individual coils with one bolt holding them in

I had one go bad, replaced them all. I was only able to find the coils sold as a "rack" of four and the description indicated that it was an altered or 'improved' design, yeah right. I procured mine from RockAuto. No problems since.

John B.

never seen a rack of coils for this engine .dozens of places sell the individual coils plus many many higher performance coils available . Coils are one of those items that usually work or they dont so replacing one is the way i want to go

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom