Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Difficulty Starting

agwondra

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR - Satin Nickel
I am wondering if anyone can provide some information. This has happened to me twice now. I drive home from work on Friday. The car sits all day Sat. On Sun morning when I go to start it to play tennis. It will not fire up. It goes thru the startup sequence but the starter does not engage. The radio turns on, even all of the idiot light checks go on, but it does not start. I have to stop it (it thinks it is running but the engine is not running). I open the door, close it and and push the starter again to get it to go. This morning I had to do this twice before it would start. Previously I just had to do it once. Anyone have any ideas so I can tell them something to look for when I take it in.
Thanks,
Al

I really don't have any knowledge of this issue, but I would be suspicious of the theft system, since that is the only thing cycling the door might affect.

Rusty 06 V

I am wondering if anyone can provide some information. This has happened to me twice now. I drive home from work on Friday. The car sits all day Sat. On Sun morning when I go to start it to play tennis. It will not fire up. It goes thru the startup sequence but the starter does not engage. The radio turns on, even all of the idiot light checks go on, but it does not start. I have to stop it (it thinks it is running but the engine is not running). I open the door, close it and and push the starter again to get it to go. This morning I had to do this twice before it would start. Previously I just had to do it once. Anyone have any ideas so I can tell them something to look for when I take it in.
Thanks,
Al

If by any chance your 2004 is still using its original battery, it might be a very good idea to replace it.

It was in the shop bright and early this morning. There were no codes in the memory, and it started every time for them. Just as it has for me since Sunday. The service tech thinks it is the starter because the starters are very basic and do not have any diagnostics built in. I am taking it back on Saturday afternoon and they will let it sit inside for the weekend to simiulate my conditions, and try to get it to fail on Monday morning. I hope it just doesn't like getting up early on Sunday mornings.

I suggest going to an autoparts store (Advanced, Pep Boys) and get them to check you battery. XLR's like strong, fully functioning batteries, your may have a weak cell and so many problems I read about on this forum route back to having a weak battery.

It is the first thing to look at in my mind and it won't cost you anything to have it checked.

Hi Agwondra

I have the same issue in Europe with my XLR.

- Battery new AC DELCO and moreless 6 months
- Load Battery full
- Keyless remote battery new
- Alternator checked and correct

Just today I constated with "hazard repair garage" when he disconnected the battery and wait 30 sec and reconnected the battery, the car starts ...

So I mean Theft system has a bad problem ("build in india or anywhere" :pat:)

I constated when I close "all electrical system" (radio, heat ...) before cut off the engine, after "2 ou 3 days" the car runs normally ...

IN RESUME AFTER MANY PROBLEMS THE SERIOUS OF BUILD OF THIS CAR IS VERY BAD.

I had many Cadillac and no majors problems, this car becomes and bring many stress.

I fyou have a solution and I will reply with my local garage if we find a solution ...

When you go to start do you hear the brake switch/relay click? Was reading the service manual on your situation and it says that when you hit the start it sends a signal to the bcm looking for the brake engagement. Then it communicates with the ECM looking for the park switch. Then it will engage the starter. Also says check wire connections to ECM and bcm and loose grounds. Sounds like you can use a tech2 to cycle and show status of each component? Intermittent electrical is a ***** never acts up in front of the tech for you. Good luck.

I agree, could very well be the park switch. You can probably simulate the same problem by trying to start in nuetral. It will run all gauges up, flash the xlr logo, but no roll over of the engine.

I took it in last Sat so it could sit over Sun to 'recreate' my failure condition. Of course sitting in the dealer garage did not result in a failure on Mon morning. They did more investigation and found a cracked positive terminal on the starter. They replaced the starter under my extended warranty - hopefully problem solved.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom