Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Draining the gas tanks

rmatt

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Blue Steel XLR
I'm about ready to drop the tanks on my 06 so that I can replace the pump and sending units due to a nonfunctioning gas gauge. And yes I've tried Techron for the last four fill ups. I don't want to put miles on it just to empty the tanks. I saw on a Vette site that a guy disconnected the fuel line at the engine and jumped the circuit for the fuel pump and emptied the tanks into a gas can. Does anyone know about this procedure on a XLR? I'd appreciate any advice on this and anything else regarding dropping the tanks and replacing these parts.

I'm about ready to drop the tanks on my 06 so that I can replace the pump and sending units due to a nonfunctioning gas gauge. And yes I've tried Techron for the last four fill ups. I don't want to put miles on it just to empty the tanks. I saw on a Vette site that a guy disconnected the fuel line at the engine and jumped the circuit for the fuel pump and emptied the tanks into a gas can. Does anyone know about this procedure on a XLR? I'd appreciate any advice on this and anything else regarding dropping the tanks and replacing these parts.

Can’t help about the gas draining, but about 4 years ago my gauge went haywire too and they changed out some part with the finger like fillers on it, which may be part of pump. After the repair I filled up the tank and had leak, took it back for repair and here it was the cross over tube wasn’t snap in correctly, so just as a heads up make sure they snap into place completely on each tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the crossover tube appears to be the biggest challenge in doing this repair. I'll definitely pay special attention to that. Thanks for the input.

Check youtube there is a guy that did the pump change.

Old thread, same topic though... does anyone know for sure if you can drop the XLR fuel tanks without removing the rear suspension and transmission (despite what the manual says)? It looks like this can be done on Corvettes, albeit with cramming your hands into tight spaces above the tank to disconnect the crossover/hose connections, not too sure about the XLR.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom