Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

folding top won't open

nvme

My XLR/V(s)
It's me again, I discovered something interesting that I like to share with you. I opened my trunk and put my stick in place to hold it open and left it for about 48 hours. This morning I took it out and the trunk lid stayed open, so I closed the trunk and started the car and wa-la the top opened. So obviously my struts is the problem and I plan on replaces them. Amazon offers two choices: first one is for an extended length of 12.8" and close is 7.17" costs is $41.45 for two, the second is 12.95" and closed is 8.19" for $47.98 for two, made by Tuff Support. I have a shop manual and I cant' find any length for them, does anyone know which one is the correct lenght? Thanks--Nick

It's me again, I discovered something interesting that I like to share with you. I opened my trunk and put my stick in place to hold it open and left it for about 48 hours. This morning I took it out and the trunk lid stayed open, so I closed the trunk and started the car and wa-la the top opened. So obviously my struts is the problem and I plan on replaces them. Amazon offers two choices: first one is for an extended length of 12.8" and close is 7.17" costs is $41.45 for two, the second is 12.95" and closed is 8.19" for $47.98 for two, made by Tuff Support. I have a shop manual and I cant' find any length for them, does anyone know which one is the correct lenght? Thanks--Nick

Are you talking about HOOD SUPPORT STRUTS or the the various hydraulic TRUNK/TOP SUPPORT STRUTS. The various trunk and top hydraulic struts are different from your hood struts and some of them are much more expensive. I have had all of the hydraulic struts replaced in my trunk replaced and the the 2 that were the cause of my issue were not cheap. Have you located the failing strut yet, if is the ones that sit inside the left and right fender well that are connected to the pump (GM part #88957088)....they are discontinued. You may be able to have them rebuilt, if they are the ones in question. Below is a link to my thread about the trunk issues I have had and a link to Top Hydraulics.

Hydraulic trunk lift cylinder Gm part #88957088

Top Hydraulics
Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom