Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Front Bumper cover Removal

TracyRGraham

My XLR/V(s)
2009 Red XLRV
2008 XLR front bumper cover needs replaced. Any help on removing it? Do the headlights have to be removed ?

Last edited:
ok. I normally have the lights out if replacing it but I am 90% sure you don't have to. just pull the grill with the bumper to make the grill easier to come off . I will look In j ust a bit on one that is off to make sure there are no clips on the top of the bumper under the headlight.

I just removed my front bumper cover on my 04, I have no idea how this is mounted compared to other years. But there were no clips holding the bumper under the headlights. The hardest part of getting the bumper off was the pop rivets holding the bumper to the fender, the wheel well liner needs to be removed, and I found drilling these pop rivets out worked the easiest and should help during reassembly, I will use bolts the same way they did on the rear bumper cover.

LTS,thank you. You were correct. I did not need to remove the headlights. Drilled out those two rivets holding it to the fender and that was it.

they are aluminum split rivets on most models .If you just take some side cutters to the split part and snip the mand then pull out the reamining part of the rivet its easy. The bumper is supposed to actually snap out from the fender bracket and leave the retainer In place but they are put on pretty tight . best to remove the rivets and use a bolt and a poly lock nut. Just snug them , don't over tighten them

One more question

they are aluminum split rivets on most models .If you just take some side cutters to the split part and snip the mand then pull out the reamining part of the rivet its easy. The bumper is supposed to actually snap out from the fender bracket and leave the retainer In place but they are put on pretty tight . best to remove the rivets and use a bolt and a poly lock nut. Just snug them , don't over tighten them

Ok, one more question. Sounds like you ma have a body shop or at least some experience. Now that I have the cover off the car, I have removed all the paint with a heat gun. To afraid to use chemicals. Any way do you think I need to use anything other than good clear coat / base coat automotive paint? And a high build primer.

no just clean it good wit ha water based solvent. If your are down to the raw material I would use a product like bulldog to spray the plastic a for adhesive promotion. than a coat of primer .the less material build up the better. The base coats today most all have a flex additive. then a couple good coats of clear and you should be fine

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom