Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Fuel evap cannister

Jentgens1943

The repair shop said they are getting a trouble code of P0455 (EVAP Large leak). From what I can learn it may be the canister needs replaced. I am not a mechanic by a long shot yet I can change parts. The estimate for doing this is about $500.00.

Can anyone tell me how complicated it would be to replace the canister myself? What is the replacement part number? How easy is it to get to? I don't know where it would be. Is there a video out there showing this?

2006 Cadillac XLR Base

here is the part. Usually its near the engine or back in the rear in a corner near the gas tank fill. I have not looked but will let you know. It usually takes about 5 minutes to change once you get to it .A bolt or two holding it in and a hose clamp on the hose . sometimes a plug in wire connector which I don't think GM has. Not a part that usually fails unless you overfill the gas tank a lot. till it runs over. I would check the gas cap first .

OEM 2006 Cadillac XLR Emission Components Parts | GMPartsOnline.net

also if your car does not idle smooth it could be the intake manifold bolts are loose

Possible causes Missing or loose fuel cap, Incorrect fuel filler cap used ,Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close, Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap, EVAP canister, or fuel tank leaks ,EVAP system hose leaking, Fuel tank leaking

Read more:
P0455 CADILLAC Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected Gross Leak

Last edited:
Thank you,
If it were not for the trouble code and gas smell I wouldn't know anything was wrong. Engine performance is outstanding including great mileage. I will follow your advice and await further info on the right location.

Thanks again!

Gas cap loose or failures are common issue as cars age. I'd change the cap first,,,cheapest attempt, and maybe have the code cleared to see what happens.

Thank you,
If it were not for the trouble code and gas smell I wouldn't know anything was wrong. Engine performance is outstanding including great mileage. I will follow your advice and await further info on the right location.

Thanks again!

Might also read about the Corvette's having 'gas smell' issues.....might find a fix or a suggestion: > * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * * - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Good luck
p z

The vapor purge test is random so you will have to wait for a while for it to be tested to be sure you fixed it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom