Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE

JW7

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black XLR.... 2001 DTS...2009 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET
OIL PRESSURE GUAGE

Hi all...when I first start my car ....I see the needle on the Pressure Guage is towards the high mark... I can understand that as the fluids are cold ........I will usually wait until the engine temp guage starts to move..
but it takes the Oil Pressure Guage a lot more time, to be within its range when I put my foot on the gas...It can take up to 10 minutes of driving slow until it's at the range where it is needs to be
Thinking that by driving slow and not causing a lot of oil pressure..the oil will heat up and guage read normal...
Is there any problem driving until that guage is in it's proper range..,,Is that a normal time frame for the oil and guage
Appreciate the thoughts,,,J

Last edited:
The norm for the oil pressure is to be high at start because it is cold and has a higher viscosity and after the engine is up to temp it will be lower. These observations are with the car idling, at higher rpm's the oil pressure should increase.

I know the oil is thicker when cold and will read high, but I am questioning the length of time even after the engine starts to warm ..I drive very slow for at least 10 minutes so as not to create pressure and have the needle high up the guage..takes about 10-15 minutes to truely be where it belongs when foot is on the peddle..
I am just questioning whether this is the norm tiime wise and if I am doing any damage by driving like that..
Appreciate the input ..thank you

You need to have your oil a little warmed up before you drive when it is sub zero outside, then it should warm up some before you take off. Don't worry about the oil pressure in normal operating temps. The higher pressure will not hurt anything with normal driving. Now if you were going to be doing some performance driving/racing where the engine is hitting high rpm's then the oil needs to be at operating temp.

Thanks Beardbros...appreciate your help with this....though its street driving ...the feel is high performance ...:)))))

might want to check your coolant temp gauge as well.
is it still getting up to good temp within 10 min or so.
i noticed this winter my coolant temp was running low, and taking alot longer to warm up.
this points to a failed Tstat, not uncommon on our cars.
they fail open. so it takes forever for cars to warm up, especially when its cold outside.
as it takes longer to warm up, the oil pressure stays higher for longer...

also a symptom of failed Tstat is the engine hot AC OFF warning and the gauge goes dead, aka drops to zero.
when in fact the temp is actually low.
if it takes the car too long to warm up to normal operating temp, it throws this warning.
it is self resetting if you warm up the car a few minutes before your next few trips.

main point was if Tstat fails could cause engine to stay colder longer, and show high oil pressure for longer:)
another reason to only drive in summer hahaha

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back