Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

I have installed about 25 sets of non mag shocks and never had a single problem. I have repaired a couple of other installations where people did not get the plugs connected properly in the rear. If they worked and then stopped you will find that one of the connections has either come unplugged or your control module has gotten wet and is failing. Based on how the simulators are manufactured avfailure would be almost unheard of. Its just a voltage resistor and no way for the system to over power its rateing. I will be glad to buy your old caspers to check them out. I just looket at the onrs you ordered. Not sure they work on the xlr .also they show shipping a month away which means the company has stopped selling with them, they are discontinued or summitt has not paid the vendor. it happens all the time with ac delco items summit list but cannot deliver.

Last edited:
I disassembled the simulators and reconnected them by fixing them with a plastic clamp. Regarding the module, it worked without problem, the car is healthy, dry and has only 20,000 km.
Regarding the new gm gen2 simulator, these arrive at home on Monday.
Have a nice day and thank you in advance for your advice.

Let us know how those work. The car needs 8 simulators that kit uses 4 because its shown to fit later year corvettes that use a different system. There are several things that can turn on the speed limiter. Timing seems to be related to your changing the shocks. Modules fail with less mileage and some go 150000 miles. Hope that fixes your problem.

Hi there,
This morning starting the XLR 2005 and directly the nice message "check adjustable suspension" and road test with the limit at 139 km/h.
Finally this afternoon the UPS delivery man arrives with my parts: AFE-436-401001-N
Suspension Sensor Eliminators, GM Gen 2, Electronic Shock Delete.
Uninstalling the Casper then connecting the position sensors as originally. Then connections of the new deceivers on the connections of the suspensions!
And finally start :) and no message! En route, test over several kilometers then several starts, no more messages and on the highway the acceleration continues after 140 km/h. Happiness !
hope it will last!
Greetings from Switzerland

Glad it worked. since there are 8 caspers one for each shock and one for each position sensor how did you install these? They show only 4 instead of 8. Did you leave 4 of the caspers installed or just leave the plug not plugged up? .let me know how much you want for the caspers. I would like to have them if they dont work to see why.
Hi there,
This morning starting the XLR 2005 and directly the nice message "check adjustable suspension" and road test with the limit at 139 km/h.
Finally this afternoon the UPS delivery man arrives with my parts: AFE-436-401001-N
Suspension Sensor Eliminators, GM Gen 2, Electronic Shock Delete.
Uninstalling the Casper then connecting the position sensors as originally. Then connections of the new deceivers on the connections of the suspensions!
And finally start :) and no message! En route, test over several kilometers then several starts, no more messages and on the highway the acceleration continues after 140 km/h. Happiness !
hope it will last!
Greetings from Switzerland

I removed the 8 casper then put the sockets back on the positions and finally I connected the 4 AFE simulators. for the moment I will keep the casper until I have confirmation of operation over several days and kilometers!
For information according to the database of the site my car was built in 2005 but registered only in 2008 in Switzerland! I bought it for chf 25000.- with 14000 kilometres.
Thank you for your answers

please tell me how i can test the operation of the caspers? resistor values or other ways to test? I would ask a mechanic friend to look and let you know the results!
good evening

Well if you say the did not work they must be bad. In my conversations over the years with them and again today they are aware of only a couple of
Failures. Both where due to people trying to only run 4 on one axle. For people reading, you must run all 8 on all 4 shocks. The module has to have input from both the shocks and corresponding position sensors to work. Leaving the shocks unplugged will set a code . these newer ones at 200$" more money look to absorb higher voltage and potential fire with a heat sink. Caspers use lower voltage and do not get hot. They work as hundreds of people on here know. The are cheaper and easy to install. I will stick with them. Readers will need to start exploreing these non mag shock replacements as almost all gm numbers for shocks have been dropped by ac delco..i spoken with the two companies that rebuild mag shocks and neither has any interest in rebuilding our shocks due to the low number of cars. There are only about 20 each of the three numbers for 08 cars and then that will be it. So watch for used ones to go for 1000$ each in the future.

Thank you for these explanations. for my part during the installation I scrupulously followed the instructions of Casper electronics for the 8 modules. Unfortunately it didn't work maybe because the xlr is a 2005? I even disassembled and checked everything, before reinstalling but nothing changed, the messages came back. Upon receipt of the new AFEs, I reconnected the position sensor and connected the AFEs to the suspension connections and everything immediately worked! you say that the AFEs are overheating and that there is a risk of fire, have you ever had a car that went up in smoke? thank you in advance for your answer and have a nice day

here is the user manual of the AFE and the installation at the front right. some manuals say to cut a blue cable but not on the casper received? thank you to enlighten me

Attachments

• B82A99EF-3D00-491F-9687-7B1C32169CE1.jpeg
    B82A99EF-3D00-491F-9687-7B1C32169CE1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • C6C93E08-539A-4632-868B-D42CDB945F7F.jpeg
    C6C93E08-539A-4632-868B-D42CDB945F7F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • 3F9B1BBF-B296-469F-87FF-4116A536AB6E.png
    3F9B1BBF-B296-469F-87FF-4116A536AB6E.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
The casper work on all year xlr . they do sometimes require 2 or 3 driving cycles to turn off the light. Maybe its an export thing but for me i will continue to use and recommend caspers and i pay full price for them just like anyone else. There is an xlr just parted out burned to the ground from the owner working on a custom led headlight indtall without proper heat sinks.what i said and stand by is the caspers design does not require a large heat sink as the heat crested by the resistor is very low. There is no need for a large heat sink like the ones you bought. Before casper came along i made my own for less than 10$ so its not hard to do. Caspers plug and play, mine i hade to cut and solder so the time saved is worth me paying 150 for them. You can look at the bottoms of the caspers and see if ne is burnt. If it was bad it will show a small bulge on the bottom. i see no advantage to paying 200$ more for something that does the same job. Forvthise getting ready to do this swap. B6 bilsteins and corvette factory zo6 shocks are very close to factory xlr. Because they are designed firmer for a lighter car that equals basiclly stock xlr ride. But because your shocks are worn out you will feel a much better and firmer ride. B8 will be a performance upgrade and a little more like the V shocks were when new.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom