Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

mickeytee

Seasoned Member
keep us posted .the rears are not hard to change .Easier than the fronts. Those sims have failed on the escalades and others he sells them for and burnt out the ride control modules per members of another cadillac forum. . I may buy a set to see what units he is using but I have replaced a couple on customers cars with the caspers with good results . For the little savings and extra work to cut and splice them in I recommend buying the proven plug and play caspers. Damage to a 2500$ control module is a high dollar risk.

stund33

keep us posted .the rears are not hard to change .Easier than the fronts. Those sims have failed on the escalades and others he sells them for and burnt out the ride control modules per members of another cadillac forum. . I may buy a set to see what units he is using but I have replaced a couple on customers cars with the caspers with good results . For the little savings and extra work to cut and splice them in I recommend buying the proven plug and play caspers. Damage to a 2500$ control module is a high dollar risk.
You were right the back was much easier. The ride has tightened up significantly and still smooth. I used the ZO6 shocks all the way around with the resistors. Onto the next project, transmission fluid and filter change.

CadillacSam

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray
No issues with the OBD? Sounds great.
Which type of transmission fluid do you plan to use?
I had to change mine 2 times.

thejohn-texas

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to get rid of your Mag Ride Shocks on your XLR. I had a "clunk" in the front suspension going in and out of driveways and over speed bumps. I have several friends in the automotive repair business. I took my 04 XLR to three different shops to try to figure out what was loose in my front suspension. All three times we could not find anything wrong with my front suspension. Except that all four shocks where leaking. I knew that I needed to replace my shocks, so I started to research part numbers and prices. Mag Ride shocks are crazy expensive. The cheapest I could find them for was on Amazon for approx. $1800, delivered to my front door. I could get a set of four Bilsteins on Ebay for $396 to my front door. I had read in several Corvette sites that they where able to deprogram the F55 function in their Body Control Module with a Tech2. I also read that a lot of Corvette guys where using plug in simulators to trick the Body Control Module into thinking they still had Mag Ride Shocks in their cars. From everything I read, the simulators where effective about 50% of the time. 50% of the Corvette guys where happy with the simulators and 50% of the guys said they where junk and a waste of money. With all of this info and a couple of months of going back and forth in my head on the best solution, I finally decided to buy the Bilstein Shocks and deprogram my Body Control Module. I replaced all four shock here at home, pretty straight forward, no issues. I test drove the XLR in town and on freeway. Car was super smooth and no more "clunk", but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. Next day I take my XLR to my buddy's transmission shop. He borrowed one of his friends Tech2 for us to use. We spent the entire afternoon trying to deprogram the F55 function in the Body Control Module to no avail. We tried everything we could think of, nothing worked. If we lied to the Tech2 and told it my car was a Corvette we could see the F55 function, but the Tech2 knew the car was not a Corvette, so it would not let us turn off the F55 function. When we would tell the Tech2 that my car was an XLR, we where not able to find the F55 function in the Body Control Module. We even tried using a second Tech2, same thing. We even tried looking for the F55 function in every other Control Module, just in case GM was sneaky and tried to hide it somewhere else. What we came away with was that, some Corvettes have Mag Ride suspensions, others do not. All Cadillac XLR's have Mag Ride suspensions, it's not an option. GM must have written the software differently for the XLR's and Corvettes Body Control Modules. As they come down the assembly line the Corvettes with Mag Ride get the F55 option turned on. Corvettes without Mag Ride do not get the F55 option turned on. XLR's it's not an option, they all have Mag Ride, so no need to have an F55 option to turn on or off. So, no need to write it into the software of the XLR's Body Control Module. It's not an option on the car, It's not an option in the Body Control Module. Now, what to do? The XLR runs and drives great, but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. So, I started to research simulators. I decided to take a chance and ordered a set from Eckler's via Ebay for $218.88 to my front door. A few days later my order from Eckler's arrived. I installed the four Shock simulators and Walla! No more dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. I didn't have to do anything else, the Body Control Module reset itself. I'm So Happy!! It can be done!! It worked on my 04 XLR. My XLR feels like a brand new car.
I did the exact same thing on my 2005, and it worked perfectly I just hit 41,000 miles on it.

thejohn-texas

DOES SIMULATOR FIX WORK ON '05'S?

Great thread. However I have a potential problem. Ordered the simulators from Casper's. Lacking sufficient courage, I am having the modification done by a really good Corvette shop. Received a call that the Casper connector has a tab that doesn't allow it to go right into the XLR connector. Did you have to trim it to fit or was it an exact fit? THANKS!
Same thing happened to me TWICE, finally just gave up got them soldered in but after that if worked great and yes it's a 2005 XLR, just hit 41,000 miles

mickeytee

Seasoned Member
this repair works fine if you are just replacing your shocks and the module has not been water soaked. This replacement works on all years and the proper part number casper simulators are a direct fit .they just require a zip tie to hold them together better. This will not fix the car if your 04/05 module has been wet and the service ride control light it on. One person claims that it fixed a wet module but 50 have done it and know it usually leaves the 80 mph light on.
The little tab does not prevent them from plugging in together it just does not snap and lock them together . A simple zip tie is all that is needed

Last edited:

ejlane

My XLR/V(s)
Hello everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to get rid of your Mag Ride Shocks on your XLR. I had a "clunk" in the front suspension going in and out of driveways and over speed bumps. I have several friends in the automotive repair business. I took my 04 XLR to three different shops to try to figure out what was loose in my front suspension. All three times we could not find anything wrong with my front suspension. Except that all four shocks where leaking. I knew that I needed to replace my shocks, so I started to research part numbers and prices. Mag Ride shocks are crazy expensive. The cheapest I could find them for was on Amazon for approx. $1800, delivered to my front door. I could get a set of four Bilsteins on Ebay for $396 to my front door. I had read in several Corvette sites that they where able to deprogram the F55 function in their Body Control Module with a Tech2. I also read that a lot of Corvette guys where using plug in simulators to trick the Body Control Module into thinking they still had Mag Ride Shocks in their cars. From everything I read, the simulators where effective about 50% of the time. 50% of the Corvette guys where happy with the simulators and 50% of the guys said they where junk and a waste of money. With all of this info and a couple of months of going back and forth in my head on the best solution, I finally decided to buy the Bilstein Shocks and deprogram my Body Control Module. I replaced all four shock here at home, pretty straight forward, no issues. I test drove the XLR in town and on freeway. Car was super smooth and no more "clunk", but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. Next day I take my XLR to my buddy's transmission shop. He borrowed one of his friends Tech2 for us to use. We spent the entire afternoon trying to deprogram the F55 function in the Body Control Module to no avail. We tried everything we could think of, nothing worked. If we lied to the Tech2 and told it my car was a Corvette we could see the F55 function, but the Tech2 knew the car was not a Corvette, so it would not let us turn off the F55 function. When we would tell the Tech2 that my car was an XLR, we where not able to find the F55 function in the Body Control Module. We even tried using a second Tech2, same thing. We even tried looking for the F55 function in every other Control Module, just in case GM was sneaky and tried to hide it somewhere else. What we came away with was that, some Corvettes have Mag Ride suspensions, others do not. All Cadillac XLR's have Mag Ride suspensions, it's not an option. GM must have written the software differently for the XLR's and Corvettes Body Control Modules. As they come down the assembly line the Corvettes with Mag Ride get the F55 option turned on. Corvettes without Mag Ride do not get the F55 option turned on. XLR's it's not an option, they all have Mag Ride, so no need to have an F55 option to turn on or off. So, no need to write it into the software of the XLR's Body Control Module. It's not an option on the car, It's not an option in the Body Control Module. Now, what to do? The XLR runs and drives great, but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. So, I started to research simulators. I decided to take a chance and ordered a set from Eckler's via Ebay for $218.88 to my front door. A few days later my order from Eckler's arrived. I installed the four Shock simulators and Walla! No more dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. I didn't have to do anything else, the Body Control Module reset itself. I'm So Happy!! It can be done!! It worked on my 04 XLR. My XLR feels like a brand new car.
Was vehicle with simulators really able to do over 80MPH after all that? Have same issue with a beyond repair Suspension module.
Thanks
Jim

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win a Cadillac CTS-V!

Cadillac CTS-V Dream Giveaway

Supporting Vendors

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Top Bottom