Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Help! no communication

Dale Sale

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR silver
05 XLR. Bought it with trunk leak and damaged suspension / roof computer was replaced. 49,000 miles. Extra nice. EXCEPT for one thing. it will run fine for a couple of weeks and then when I get back in the car again it shows "NO FOB DETECTED" of course you can't do anything to include putting the roof up. I may go back the next day and it works perfectly. Very hard to get diagnosis because there seems to be no communications. I put a 04 Communication computer located above the right rear wheel in the trunk and it did not seem to help. Can anyone help with this issue.

If you have you are more than welcome to call me at
205-365-7223

Dale Sale

start with a new battery in the fob. cheap and fixes a lot of issues unless you just replaced it a month ago I would start with that.

Have you tried to put the fob into the slot in the glove compartment?

Yes Sir. bought a new fob and replaced the battery 2 times in both the old one and the new one when it was not recognizing the fob. The car will not even recognize the fob when it is in the glove box slot. I have a friend with the GM scanner and it won't even tell us which is not communicating. According to my mechanic it could be any one of the computers that is not in communication and that can shut down everything. I hope someone else has had this issue. When I figure it out you can bet it will be posted.

Can anyone help?

Dale Sale
205-365-7223

Usually it's the RCDLR if it works in the glovebox slot.

A new RCDLR installed in a vehicle will require having the ECM (if equipped) learn the new RCDLR's password. Perform either the 10-minute relearn procedure or the 30-minute relearn procedure to learn the password of the new RCDLR.

10-Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

• Remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR)

• The engine control module (ECM) -- if previously installed in another vehicle

Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Insure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
With a scan tool, select Request Info. under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.
Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software.
On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Ensure the correct programming procedure is selected based on component being replaced or programmed.
For ECM password learn, select Theft Deterrent Learn for ECM on the SPS terminal.

Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System.
At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.
Important:

• The scan tool will initially display 12 Minutes. The first 2 minutes allow the scan tool to initialize the appropriate control module. The remaining 10 minutes is the relearn timer.

• On some vehicles the SECURITY indicator may be illuminated for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.

Observe the scan tool. After approximately 10 minutes the scan tool will display Programming Successful, Turn OFF Ignition. The vehicle is now ready to learn the passwords on the next transition from OFF to CRANK.
Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds.
Start the vehicle. The module being programmed has now learned the RCDLR password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.
30-Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

• Remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR)

• The engine control module (ECM) if previously installed in another vehicle

Important: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with EXPORT configured modules.

Press the START button.
Observe the Security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes the indicator will turn off.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
Important: The vehicle learns the password on the transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the vehicle. The module being programmed has now learned the RCDLR password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.
<strike></strike>
[/COLOR]​

Last edited:
David, that's all fine and good, but for most of us, we don't have access to a Techline terminal. Just the TECHII. Subscriptions are outrageous

2 methods listed, one with and one without.

The 30 minute method doesn't require techline.

I can't verify the 30 minute version works, but it is a GM procedure.

David, that's all fine and good, but for most of us, we don't have access to a Techline terminal. Just the TECHII. Subscriptions are outrageous

Last edited:
05 XLR. Bought it with trunk leak and damaged suspension / roof computer was replaced. 49,000 miles. Extra nice. EXCEPT for one thing. it will run fine for a couple of weeks and then when I get back in the car again it shows "NO FOB DETECTED" of course you can't do anything to include putting the roof up. I may go back the next day and it works perfectly. Very hard to get diagnosis because there seems to be no communications. I put a 04 Communication computer located above the right rear wheel in the trunk and it did not seem to help. Can anyone help with this issue.

If you have you are more than welcome to call me at
205-365-7223

Dale Sale
If you're looking to fix that suspension module giving me shout out and I'll explain the procedure for fixing
or bypass the suspension and eliminating the "service ride control" & " speed limited to 80mph". messages on the DIC.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom