Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hi Everyone - New 2006 XLR Owner in North Florida...

alterniTECH

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
Hi everyone! I'm a new member, and a proud owner of a infrared/shale 2006 Cadillac XLR (Base) with 19K miles. She's like new, and she's absolutely gorgeous. The only thing I hate, is the cost of a headlight or tail light... ;-) Oh, and I fear the day when the top stops working... Anyway, nice to be here, just thought I'd drop a note to say hi, and to see what plethora of information is out here on such a cool car.

outside 9.jpg

Reactions: Rob
read up on posts about the top module location and how to check if your car has had the leak recall done. Also the duckbill drain seal in the rear. remove it or make sure its working .Put an old towel on the left rear floor of the trunk and check it for dampness . you can prevent the top module failure. Headlights will get better and the taillight repair price will come down even though its now too bad now if you get Travis to do them .Avoid the cheap ebay patch it up repair shop. Funny thing the 5000$ supercharger on the V can be bought new for 500 or less and there are hundreds of them. They dont fail so there is no need for one unlike headlights and taillights .

read up on posts about the top module location and how to check if your car has had the leak recall done. Also the duckbill drain seal in the rear. remove it or make sure its working .Put an old towel on the left rear floor of the trunk and check it for dampness . you can prevent the top module failure. Headlights will get better and the taillight repair price will come down even though its now too bad now if you get Travis to do them .Avoid the cheap ebay patch it up repair shop. Funny thing the 5000$ supercharger on the V can be bought new for 500 or less and there are hundreds of them. They dont fail so there is no need for one unlike headlights and taillights .
Thanks for the good info and the info on the top, will do!!

Oh yes, we seem to be of "two minds" regarding these beauties--- the worriers, and I'm one of many, and the others, who simply enjoy and use their cars and are not anxious because they know these are very durable cars. With so few miles, you should enjoy many years of trouble free pleasure. A couple of items you should be aware of---Get yourself a trickle charger for the battery-- circuit for some systems ghost power-- also, learn how to open the door with the emergency-mechanical lever on the floor. ALso, get upgrades on all fluids-- that is, of course, if they haven't been changed... and most of all ENJOY your lovely car.

Oh yes, we seem to be of "two minds" regarding these beauties--- the worriers, and I'm one of many, and the others, who simply enjoy and use their cars and are not anxious because they know these are very durable cars. With so few miles, you should enjoy many years of trouble free pleasure. A couple of items you should be aware of---Get yourself a trickle charger for the battery-- circuit for some systems ghost power-- also, learn how to open the door with the emergency-mechanical lever on the floor. ALso, get upgrades on all fluids-- that is, of course, if they haven't been changed... and most of all ENJOY your lovely car.
Thanks James. I had transmission, brake, oil, and coolant replaced. Is it necessary to drain and freshen up hydraulic fluid for the top?

I haven't read of anyone changing the hydraulic fluid, but perhaps that's a new topic worthy of posting--- having followed threads herein, major issues appear to be flooding of the controller housed under the trunk floor--- I also have seen postings of well used XLR's that need new rams--- over time, the seals wear out, and sometimes the switchgear can become misaligned, and the top won't perform the 3 act origami fold. A company does support new parts, There's also a way to get the top back up if it fails, but apparently, it's a three act opera--- and not like my 85 Eldo convertible that had a de-pressurization valve that would permit you to pull up the top manually. Make sure that the package bar is firmly in place in the trunk as the won't go down if that is adrift. Doesn't hear to say a few silent prayers each time it works! Most important--- HAVE FUN! James

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom