Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hi folks!

Thunderbuck

My name is Brett, and I hail from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.

Not an XLR owner. Yet. But I've firmly decided this is going to be my "midlife crisis" car and I want to get plugged into a community to get me up to speed for when I AM ready to buy, hopefully next year.

Especially interested in finding out what steps might be involved in "Canuckifying" a US XLR to make it legal in Canada (something that has clearly happened a lot already). There is a not-bad selection here, with about a dozen XLRs and 4 XLR-Vs for sale on AutoTRADER throughout the country right now.

There's a few things I'm curious about but I'll pick through the forum threads before I ask anyone to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers!

I brought mine up from palm springs to BC . We hired a customs broker which took care of the paperwork (taxes etc) and told us what to do (which was great !!) . You have to meet with the USA border and they inspect the car and your paper work. (Luckily the broker had it all ready for us ) After getting it across the border I took it to Can Tire to get inspected . Daytime running lights had to be wired not to turn off, tint was too dark on the windows , lights have to be working properly ( I had a bad tail light I had to fix before passing) . you have 30 days to fix any repairs and was around $150 .

Not an XLR owner. Yet. But I've firmly decided this is going to be my "midlife crisis" car and I want to get plugged into a community to get me up to speed for when I AM ready to buy, hopefully next year.

Especially interested in finding out what steps might be involved in "Canuckifying" a US XLR to make it legal in Canada (something that has clearly happened a lot already). There is a not-bad selection here, with about a dozen XLRs and 4 XLR-Vs for sale on AutoTRADER throughout the country right now.

There's a few things I'm curious about but I'll pick through the forum threads before I ask anyone to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Really good idea you have to learn about XLR’s first but remain committed to getting one! They don’t make good impulse purchases without educating yourself about them. We basically did an impulse buy on our first one and just got flat out lucky! Didn’t check out & join the forum until after we bought the car, although honestly I probably would have been scared off if we had. So, don’t take everything on here to heart, because there are ways to get a good one.

Good luck & have fun in your search!

I brought mine up from palm springs to BC . We hired a customs broker which took care of the paperwork (taxes etc) and told us what to do (which was great !!) . You have to meet with the USA border and they inspect the car and your paper work. (Luckily the broker had it all ready for us ) After getting it across the border I took it to Can Tire to get inspected . Daytime running lights had to be wired not to turn off, tint was too dark on the windows , lights have to be working properly ( I had a bad tail light I had to fix before passing) . you have 30 days to fix any repairs and was around $150 .

Thanks very much for this! No wonder so many US cars have made their way up here if the import process is that easy!

Vehicle Available

Hi,

An extremely well maintained Crimson Pearl car is about to go on the market.
Stay tuned....

Steve

Welcome! "Canuckifying"? Like it. : )

Welcome, and kudos to a cousin from The Frozen Tundra. Having lived in Northern Wisconsin on Lake Superior many years ago, we remember Sub Arctic Temps. Happens here as well. Just not as often or for as long.

My color vote would be either Gold Mist (go figure?), or Infrared, Yet, FYI, to my knowledge The Gold Mist color was never offered with the 'V' option. Don't know why? :wave:

When I bought my 09 in 2011 I had a car dealer friend who regularly imported cars for clients and he told me if I found what I was looking for stateside - he could negotiate for me and import it, get it CDN certified etc for a flat fee. So I started looking, found my 09 at a Cadillac dealer in Missouri, called the Caddy dealer and confirmed it was the car for me and set 'my guy' on the job. I know since 2011 the importing process is more complex and using a company that regularly imports will make your purchase far less hassle. It must be Exported from the US as well as Imported to Canada and 'newer' vehicles have more rules than Classics.

As far as I know Canadian Tire still is the only place that is authorized to inspect and certify vehicles for the Canadian ownership. When I bought my 09 in 2011 I was told there was some minor thing pertaining to the impact verification of the front bumper. Something to do with the short fall of the impact rating when converting from MPH to KilometersPH but my guy said he signed off on that. (the service manager at CTC is also a friend!) Not sure if that issue has been rectified 'on the books': I believe it was more of a error in translation to paper than a real issue: I cant imagine Canadian impact ratings were much different to US standards. Anyway, other than that, my headlights had to be 'always ON when in gear' as rnrt99 said.

What I recommend is you stop by your nearest CTC; preferably at a quiet time and speak with the service manager. Tell him you are looking at importing an XLR and ask if he could provide you with the requirements for that car. That way and 'bs' (like as I stated above) will be answered so you know for sure what is necessary: other than possible broken items on your purchase like lights etc.

Anyway: welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. Check out this forum to learn about the car but dont let the issues scare you away. Most of us own trouble free XLRs and other than needing to keep it on a Battery Tender if it is not driven as a daily driver: they only otherwise need fuel and regular maintenance for years of happy motoring!
:burnout:

Thanks for the advice, greytoad!

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. It's going to take a little time before I get my new "baby" but I look forward to hanging out here in the meantime :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom