Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How to relocate the Gas Pedal closer to the firewall giving yourself more leg room

Treasureroom

This is a super easy change that moves the gas pedal 1.5” closer to the firewall. </SPAN></SPAN>
After this modification (which is reversible), the gas pedal will sit the same distance from the firewall as the left leg foot rest attached to the floor.</SPAN></SPAN>

Time required: 1hour</SPAN></SPAN>
Tools required: 13mm Socket Wrench, flat head screw driver, Dremmel with metal cutting wheel (or a hack saw)</SPAN></SPAN>
Skill level: Extremely basic. if you can change oil, you can do this. </SPAN></SPAN>
Cost: Less than $2</SPAN></SPAN>

1. Use a 13mm socket to remove the two bolts that hold the pedal from the firewall.</SPAN></SPAN>
  2. Unplug the harness by inserting a screwdriver into the tab to release it.</SPAN></SPAN>
  3. Cut the 3 round 1.5” long spacers off the back of the pedal assembly. </SPAN></SPAN>
  4. Cut the back of the pedal along the line shown in the picture .</SPAN></SPAN>
If you don’t cut this area off , the pedal will bottom out on the plastic piece under the pedal (attached to the floor). Im not sure at what speed it will bottom out. </SPAN></SPAN>

1. Purchase (2) M8 x ½” long bolts and reinstall the pedal assembly with the shorter bolts. </SPAN></SPAN>
  2. Re-Attach the wire harness.</SPAN></SPAN>

I have been driving with the pedal this way for over a week. I have gone 85 MPH just to test that the pedal does not bottom out. </SPAN></SPAN>
The only negative to this modification is that my leg needs to come back further toward my chest to apply the brake. </SPAN></SPAN>
For me, Its not a big deal at all but I will look to move the brake pedal back toward the firewall at another time. </SPAN></SPAN>

Attachments

• Gas Pedal.jpg
    Gas Pedal.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 417
The only negative to this modification is that my leg needs to come back further toward my chest to apply the brake.
For me, Its not a big deal at all but I will look to move the brake pedal back toward the firewall at another time.

FWIW the corvette C6 brake booster is a direct replacement for the one in the XLR and the only difference is the length of the rod - the C6 version is shorter so the pedal will be closer to the firewall.

If that's not close enough, you could easily just cut the and shorten the rod to get the pedal position where you want it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom