Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

I now own an XLR - what do I do?

dream of yes

My XLR/V(s)
2004 silver
Hi everyone, my name is Robert and I live in South Florida.

My father recently passed. His prized possession was his silver (gray?) 2004 XLR. Approx 80,000 miles.

Being 85, he never drove it faster than 45 mph, lol. The car usually sat in his garage - he only drove it when going out to eat.

Cosmetically it is beautiful, inside and out - he took care of it. I now drive it around the block once a week and it drives well. No issues.

However, the top does not mechanically come down and while the AC blows, the air is not cold. These are the only two problems with the car as far as I can tell.

So, I need to decide if I should keep it ( it is very unique and good looking ) or sell it ( my father told me horror stories about finding replacement parts like tail lights.

If I decide to sell it, where do you recommend I attempt to?

And can anyone talk me into keeping it?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the XLR Net and sorry for the loss of your dad.

Whether or not you should keep it or sell it is really up to you and what you intend to do with it. Parts can be very difficult to find such as the headlamps and tail lights, but if you're just going to casually enjoy the car every now and then and not use it as a daily driver, I see no reason why you shouldn't keep it. Plus, it was your dad's pride and joy - what a great way to honor your dad by taking it out every now and then and enjoying it.

I'm sure other's will chime in here that have more experience with the technical aspects of the car such as the roof and AC systems.

Welcome to the XLR Net and sorry for the loss of your dad.

Whether or not you should keep it or sell it is really up to you and what you intend to do with it. Parts can be very difficult to find such as the headlamps and tail lights, but if you're just going to casually enjoy the car every now and then and not use it as a daily driver, I see no reason why you shouldn't keep it. Plus, it was your dad's pride and joy - what a great way to honor your dad by taking it out every now and then and enjoying it.

I'm sure other's will chime in here that have more experience with the technical aspects of the car such as the roof and AC systems.
thank you

Your top issue may be REALLY simple-- there's a " removeable bar/partition" that extends the entire width of your trunk. In order for the top mechanicals to engage, that bar MUST be securely placed in the brackets on both sides of the car-- if it's not fully seated, nothing will happen. I hope this is your problem. ALso, you need to know how to use the emergency door release handles -- it's possible to get locked in the car.

My father recently passed. His prized possession was his silver (gray?) 2004 XLR. Approx 80,000 miles.

Being 85, he never drove it faster than 45 mph, lol. The car usually sat in his garage - he only drove it when going out to eat.

Cosmetically it is beautiful, inside and out - he took care of it. I now drive it around the block once a week and it drives well. No issues.

However, the top does not mechanically come down and while the AC blows, the air is not cold. These are the only two problems with the car as far as I can tell.

So, I need to decide if I should keep it ( it is very unique and good looking ) or sell it ( my father told me horror stories about finding replacement parts like tail lights.

Thanks for your help!
My opinion: Keep it if you can, and enjoy it like your dad did (every once in a while drive...), for as long as you can...

Someone else responded about the top, but to expand on that, there's a cargo divider in the trunk that has to be in place in order for the top to function. See attached image. You will find this detail in your owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual you can find a PDF copy online by searching "2004 Cadillac XLR owners manual PDF"

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 250

Thanks for your help!
Firstly, I am sorry that your your father passed, not knowing him but while he owned a rare car like a Cadillac XLR, I'm sure he would want you to keep and enjoy it in his memory. Your top issue "could" possibly be the lack of hydraulic fluid due to a leak in one of the lines (I think there are about 7 separate lines in the system) or the pump failing.
The A/C system most likely needs recharged. Both would be acceptable repairs to keep and own a vehicle this rare. While everyone's situation is different, I'm sure you will make the correct choice. I too also live in Florida and loving my newly acquired 2006 XLR in this Florida sunshine. While many people will try to get you to sell it cheap due to the mechanical issue's I think it worthwhile to repair. Life is short, I say keep it and enjoy it, this is the best state to own one.
Congratulations and See you on the road.

Thanks for your help!
Very sorry to hear about your dad, anyone that owns a Cadillac XLR would have certainly been a friend of mine. I can't picture me selling my 2004 XLR but IF the time ever arose I would highly recommend WorldWide Auctioneers. To have the car all working I would suspect you would get top dollar.

Condolences and deepest sympathy for your loss, Robert. You will always be close to him when you are in the XLR. You will regret it if you sell it. These awesome guys have so much knowledge and experience it would be the best resource for all XLR issues. I don't know where I would be without these guys, honestly . Welcome

I know what it means to lose a Dad, something that will never leave you but the car has to stay. By selling it would break you fathers heart (if he could tell you.) There is something very special about the quirky little Cadillac like a beautiful woman will empty your pocket book but... what a pleasure to be with. As far as the issues find a good service mechanic (Not Cadillac) who knows this car spend the money to make it right and even if you use it once and a while every time you get behind the wheel you will be sitting on Dads lap. These cars are becoming and soon will be a collectors items you just dont see many of them anymore.

Reactions: Rob
Sorry about your dad, I know he must have enjoyed that car as I do mine. As far as the top issue, it could be something simple or a costly problem. I just had my top fixed. There are hydraulic cylinders that control the movement of the top up and down. They are like mini shock absorbers that may have to be rebuilt because the seals have dried and need to be replaced. They may be leaking. I also have a 2004 XLR garage kept also, but after time the seals can leak. You may have to take it to a convertible top repair shop as I did. The cost was about $1500. Good luck!

If you are anywhere close to Naples, give me a shout and we can get together to try and sort things out. I have an 08 and very happy. Let me know if I can be of any help

Congratulations on your purchase, you now own a collector car. I have a 2004 XLR and have had it since new. After owning it for 19 years I have learned that the maintenance could be very expensive. Finding parts can be a challenging and very costly process. Mine is for sale now with only 61,000 + miles. The price is $25,000. If you know of anyone of interest you can contact my e-mail address KUSKIT@TAMPABAY.RR.COM. Car is in excellent condition and garage kept since new. Good luck with yours, I know you will enjoy it as I have mine.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom